GDT: Flames @ Leafs | 5PM MST, SNW, Fan 960

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I disagree with discrediting them to that extent. Like it or not, a team that does not lose in regulation deserves to be rewarded for that above a team like the Flames who lose big when they are the worse team.
I agree with that but something also needs to be done when a team plays the OT like the Habs just did

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Toronto might have carried the play a lot but that doesn't mean it was a bad game from the Flames. The Leafs have a really good team that have been resting all week. Good bounce back games from Gio, Backlund, and Lucic. Tanev was solid too, as he has been all year.

One of Tkachuk's best games on the season. Set the tone in this one. 1st line continues to be MIA. Splitting up Johnny and Seanny seems so f***ing obvious but for some reason is never an option. Would like to see Bennett or Dube get a shot at C.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Honestly this was probably our worst game under Sutter. I know Edmonton killed us but we were in there end a ton and they scored on just about every chance. This game was just brutal for getting much going, but we scored on the few chances we got...

Reactions: super6646

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
My argument is everyone is going to make a mistake (McDavid literally gave us a goal) but unlike most of this team Markstrom will still give you chance to win the rest of the game. How many bad goals has he given up versus getting little to no support in terms of scoring? Looking at his stats is unfair or atleast doesn't tell the whole story because this team has quit on so many games.

Same could be said about a lot of Flames teams over the years. 2019-20 team had some real tough stretches too, and I seem to recall ppl having a much tougher stance on Rittich even though he had the better #s and at times carried this team (not that I think he can be a true starter)

As for bad goals, he gave up quite a few against the Oilers which saw as score 3 goals. He doesn't give up a couple softies in the third and who knows what happens.

His play as of late is too inconsistent. He saved the game with a great goal while giving up a softy in the first. All players have bad stretches but we are paying him 6 million bucks, at the end of the day I expect those tough saves with consistency if he gets the dough.

910-915SV% isn't that hard to ask for. Winnipeg is getting better with a defense by committee.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I agree with that but something also needs to be done when a team plays the OT like the Habs just did
Something is being done: goals against them. Consistently.

At the end of the day, I get hating them because we're chasing them, but at 5-on-5 actual hockey, the Habs are 13-8 with 9 ties. We are 13-13 with 5 ties. Many of our losses have been not close.

If you remember back to the 2013-14 season, the Flames were a basement team (destined for the absolute prize of Sam Bennett), but led the league in one-goal games. We maybe allowed two games to get out of hand all year. That seemed like a great thing to celebrate at the time, and lo and behold it led to a small amount of improvement making us a playoff team the next year. To me, the point at the end of regulation is a just reward for not getting beaten. If it was that easy to play for a point, the Flames would do a better job of it.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Honestly this was probably our worst game under Sutter. I know Edmonton killed us but we were in there end a ton and they scored on just about every chance. This game was just brutal for getting much going, but we scored on the few chances we got...

markstrom recovered and andersson didn’t

That’s the story

Andersson gifted us the win

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Toronto might have carried the play a lot but that doesn't mean it was a bad game from the Flames. The Leafs have a really good team that have been resting all week. Good bounce back games from Gio, Backlund, and Lucic. Tanev was solid too, as he has been all year.

One of Tkachuk's best games on the season. Set the tone in this one. 1st line continues to be MIA. Splitting up Johnny and Seanny seems so f***ing obvious but for some reason is never an option. Would like to see Bennett or Dube get a shot at C.
That or not expecting them to carry a PTO player. It’s embarrassing Treliving hasn’t gotten them some skill to play with.

At this point “those guys need a banger to get them room” is literally translating to put any random duster in the top 6 and hope it sticks. They need skill. Skill creates space as good (probably better) than size

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

I dunno if I'd lay the top line struggles on Johnny and Monny in this one. I was watching that line closely this game, and right from the start of the game, the play was dying on Ritchie's stick every single time. You're obviously going to have to live with things like Gaudreau losing puck-battles on the halfwall which extend defensive-zone shifts just because he can't effectively shield with his body, but every single opportunity that line had to break through the neutral zone seemed to end up with a bobble or bad play by Ritchie.

Monahan did a very good job this game in all of his battles. He also made some great plays, including the one which gave Gaudreau some space in the third with Ritchie streaking to the net. Gaudreau's first opportunity to make a play all game, and he bobbled it. Oh well.

Personally, I want the bubble lines back.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Feels like another lifetime when the topline made the likes of Josh Jooris look like an NHLer

Reactions: DFF

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I disagree with discrediting them to that extent. Like it or not, a team that does not lose in regulation deserves to be rewarded for that above a team like the Flames who lose big when they are the worse team.
And a team that wins in regulation should also be rewarded. My issue is less with the Habs in general (although it sucks chasing them) and more with the system

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
And a team that wins in regulation should also be rewarded. My issue is less with the Habs in general (although it sucks chasing them) and more with the system
I think that every time an analysis is done like this it reveals that the standings aren't typically going to change at all with a 3-2-1 format. In this case, for example, the Habs still have the same number of regulation wins as we do. So they would be ahead of us regardless.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
markstrom recovered and andersson didn’t

That’s the story

Andersson gifted us the win

Can't complain. In the Leafs' first two wins over us, we were the better team and they eked out the Ws with sheer luck.

So far in the five game series, the worse team has won every single game with the exception of the one that went to shootout.

The series is right where it deserves to be. 3-2-0 for TO and 2-2-1 for Calgary.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think that every time an analysis is done like this it reveals that the standings aren't typically going to change at all with a 3-2-1 format.
This ignores the fact that teams aren't playing with this system in place so it would skew the results in favour of the current points system

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I think that every time an analysis is done like this it reveals that the standings aren't typically going to change at all with a 3-2-1 format. In this case, for example, the Habs still have the same number of regulation wins as we do. So they would be ahead of us regardless.
That’s probably at least partially a product of the system. I’m sure the incentive of a 3-2-1 format would alter the behaviours and strategies in game and be more impactful in that regard.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I dunno if I'd lay the top line struggles on Johnny and Monny in this one. I was watching that line closely this game, and right from the start of the game, the play was dying on Ritchie's stick every single time. You're obviously going to have to live with things like Gaudreau losing puck-battles on the halfwall which extend defensive-zone shifts just because he can't effectively shield with his body, but every single opportunity that line had to break through the neutral zone seemed to end up with a bobble or bad play by Ritchie.

Monahan did a very good job this game in all of his battles. He also made some great plays, including the one which gave Gaudreau some space in the third with Ritchie streaking to the net. Gaudreau's first opportunity to make a play all game, and he bobbled it. Oh well.

Agreed on Ritchie, but Monahan was not good. I thought he was weak all night long. Two plays stood out. A weak shot on 1 on1 with Andersson after a great set up by Johnny and of course a weak setup for a Leafs goal

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I know there’s a playoff race but I’m always happy to see the laffs lose. Good win.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
That or not expecting them to carry a PTO player. It’s embarrassing Treliving hasn’t gotten them some skill to play with.

At this point “those guys need a banger to get them room” is literally translating to put any random duster in the top 6 and hope it sticks. They need skill. Skill creates space as good (probably better) than size

Ritchie wasn't good either but we don't really need him to be. We need Monahan and Gaudreau to be confident players. I'm not even saying separate them forever they shouldn't even be allowed to look at each other but I think both could benefit from a change. Too predictable, too slow, and they are both forcing passes.

I would kind of love to see a Monahan - Dube - Mangiapane line for a game or two.

Reactions: User1996

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I like the idea of Gaudreau-Dube a lot. Line needs speed and Dube can't really hack it as a RW

Reactions: DFF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad