GDT: Flames @ Leafs | 5PM MST, SNW, Fan 960

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I dunno if I'd lay the top line struggles on Johnny and Monny in this one. I was watching that line closely this game, and right from the start of the game, the play was dying on Ritchie's stick every single time. You're obviously going to have to live with things like Gaudreau losing puck-battles on the halfwall which extend defensive-zone shifts just because he can't effectively shield with his body, but every single opportunity that line had to break through the neutral zone seemed to end up with a bobble or bad play by Ritchie.

Monahan did a very good job this game in all of his battles. He also made some great plays, including the one which gave Gaudreau some space in the third with Ritchie streaking to the net. Gaudreau's first opportunity to make a play all game, and he bobbled it. Oh well.

Personally, I want the bubble lines back.

I really don’t. Gaudreau-monahan-lindy hasn’t been effective for over 2 yrs. I get than lucic-Bennett-dube had a good stretch but they really didn’t get it done this year.

We need to find a goddamn top 6 rw for them. 7 yrs and counting ffs.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I really don’t. Gaudreau-monahan-lindy hasn’t been effective for over 2 yrs. I get than lucic-Bennett-dube had a good stretch but they really didn’t get it done this year.

We need to find a goddamn top 6 rw for them. 7 yrs and counting ffs.
Again, though, I am not interested in evaluating lines based on what they are at their worst. I'm thinking about what lines will be the best if the team plays the right way. I think Sutter has the ability to bring that out of the team, so why not get the lines together that have the highest ceiling.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Feels like another lifetime when the topline made the likes of Josh Jooris look like an NHLer
I miss the Johnny and Monahan that drove the play and were game breakers. At this point they are just secondary scoring, not even really a line you put out there to break the tie in a close game. I feel like our expectation of that maybe comes from the years of watching iggy. You just knew when we were down he might go out and score one or 3 when I watched him pull us out of a 3-0 deficit against the wild... better days.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Just an aside, Sutter likes depth down the middle - he says you win with it. I think there are slim chances you see Lindy moved back to RW

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Just an aside, Sutter likes depth down the middle - he says you win with it. I think there are slim chances you see Lindy moved back to RW
I guess? But at the same time, Bennett is better as a centre, and from what I've seen the last few seasons Lindholm is more effective on the wing.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Sometimes you lose games you deserve to win, other times you win games you deserve to lose. This was definitely the latter, but I won't complain. Any points help at this point.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Lindholm is being let down by teammates massively. He's this team's best center defensively but he doesn't get the chance to show how good he is offensively because the only player that regularly supplies him with good passes is Gaudreau on the PP and even that's dried up recently

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Leafs getting a PDO correction from their ridiculous start. Hopefully they’re not quite back to where they should be yet and we can grease another win out today

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
1. A win is a win
2. Not worried about Markstrom but start Rittich today
3. Want Sutter to make two lineup changes for today - Kylington in for Nestervo and swap Leivo and Ritchie for this game

Also Gaudreau and Sutter gotta figure each other out or trade Gaudreau for players that will be effective under Daryl. Cant have 6.75 mil playing like this

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I guess? But at the same time, Bennett is better as a centre, and from what I've seen the last few seasons Lindholm is more effective on the wing.
Sure, but he’s still not very good as a C and Lindholm is better than him.

RW is a massive hole, but filling it with Lindholm really hurts the C position.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Same could be said about a lot of Flames teams over the years. 2019-20 team had some real tough stretches too, and I seem to recall ppl having a much tougher stance on Rittich even though he had the better #s and at times carried this team (not that I think he can be a true starter)

As for bad goals, he gave up quite a few against the Oilers which saw as score 3 goals. He doesn't give up a couple softies in the third and who knows what happens.

His play as of late is too inconsistent. He saved the game with a great goal while giving up a softy in the first. All players have bad stretches but we are paying him 6 million bucks, at the end of the day I expect those tough saves with consistency if he gets the dough.

910-915SV% isn't that hard to ask for. Winnipeg is getting better with a defense by committee.

Markstrom has been shaky since he has come back from the injury for sure but he has so given us a chance to win every game.

As for the Oilers game, I can't blame markstrom for the loss as we scored 1 goal before garbage time even if he let a couple stinkers in it made no difference to the outcome.

As for numbers situations are situational, I would expect any goalie to have bad numbers on this team this year given how little effort we have seen on regularity from the vast majority of skaters, comparing this year's numbers to previous years are going to be worse because we use to actually play defense way more often.

I'm also totally fine with Rittich as a backup, he can't play many games in a row but he can give you a great game once or twice a week if you let him get some rest.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
People here won’t be satisfied until we start operating at like 4 goals per game I swear.

Our power play is toothless: well our top unit already score at a rate just above 0.5 goals per game or every second night, so let’s knock them up to 0.8G/gm which is a goal most nights. That’s basically adding and extra goal every 4 games.

Our second unit is abysmal: that part is true, kicking in just over a goal every 5 games (0.21 G/gm), people would still complain about 1 every 3 nights so I’ll bump them up to 0.4G/gm

Our top line need to be game breakers: fine, we will give them 1 G/gm which is the only thing that will satisfy people.

Lindholm needs help/Tkachuk sucks/Dube isn’t a top sixer: well they already kick in a goal every second game, so I guess we bump them up to 0.75G/gm then? That’d be an extra goal every 4 games.

Nobody complains about the third line I think, and rightfully so. They’re hovering at 0.6 but they’re shooting percentages are a bit worrisome.

4th line is trash: probably, but a 4th line is supposed to be trash. 0.15 g/gm, lets give them 0.2. That’s adding an extra goal every 20 games.

That’s adds up to 3.8 goals per game to satisfy our fan base, without counting goals from defenseman. The Tampa bay lightning are currently leading the league at 3.65.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad