GDT: Flames @ Kings October 19, 8:00 MT

Status
Not open for further replies.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
What? My point is that the first ten games are not indicative of a team’s talent. Especially a team like the Flames who almost always starts slow. This team will not be judged by the first ten games of the season at the end of the year.

You and the other conclusion jumpers tend to forget that.

The point I was trying to make is that it is always the same, suck for the first 10-12 games of the season and than have a very good or a decent season and than Flame out in the first round of the playoffs.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
This team was literally 5-4-0 at this point last season. It's a bit disheartening to have lost both games against the Kings but par for the course as far as the Flames go around this time

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
On this early season so far.

Gaudreau: worst he's played in his career IMO he's not skating at all and he keeps trying to give the puck to Monahan and Lindholm so he doesn't have to carry it up. If he doesn't start playing like the player he is there's going to be massive issues.

Monahan: I still don't see a 1C but you know what I like the effort and improved physicality hard to fault a guy for trying.

Lindholm: He started really poorly but I thought in the last 2-3 games he's been pretty damn good.

Tkachuk: Another lowlight honestly the 1st game ahaint the Kings is his only truly good game this season.

Backlund: Seems to be recovering from his injury finally coming on in the last 3 games or so.

Frolik: I wish the Zucker trade went through, Frolik has been better lately but he's still been terrible as a whole this season. I have no problems with hisbDZ and NZ play but in the OZ he's got some serious tunnel vision.

Mangiapane: He's good hope he recovers soon.

Lucic: He's not a bad 4th liner I think of he made 1.75 a year I'd like him.

Jankowski: LOL

Ryan: He's our best bottom 6 guy and he's starting to play like it.

Czarnik > Reider

Gio: Even when he plays poorly you never feel like he's giving less than 100%.

Brodie: Don't think he's been bad as a whole but he sure has a few yikes moments

Hamonic: I'd trade him straight up for Noah Dobson.

Andersson is way more confident and comfortable this year.

Kylington should have a personal coach his skating ability is mind blowing, he has the tools to be an absolute stud.

Rittich/Talbot: Some stumbles but they've been good as a whole especially BSD.

Reactions: Drop Shock

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
One thing everyone seems to miss is that Todd Mclellan is their coach. We struggled against the Oilers during his tenure too.

We had 4 wins in 12 games if I'm not mistaken.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
One thing everyone seems to miss is that Todd Mclellan is their coach. We struggled against the Oilers during his tenure too.

We had 4 wins in 12 games if I'm not mistaken.
His Sharks teams always gave us fits too

Reactions: Dack

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
This team was literally 5-4-0 at this point last season. It's a bit disheartening to have lost both games against the Kings but par for the course as far as the Flames go around this time

I do not remember the start last year in terms of actual play but the biggest concern for me is not just the record of the team this year but they fully deserve that record based on how they have played, if anything it might be flattering.

Now there are some positives. The top line and Tkachuk have been sub-par that is not likely to continue for the whole season.

However, outside of that group I am not sure we are going to see a lot of improvement. The bottom 8 has been a concern for awhile now and I think the struggles of guys like Bennett and Jankowski aren't likely slow starts but just the realization that this is who they are. In Bennetts case its not as bad as he is a good 3rd liner but doesn't seem to be the top 6 guy we hoped but for Jankowski this guy is a 12th forward at the very best and probably a guy that should be gone in reality.

Ryan tries hard and is fine for his role. Reider is fine as a PB fill-in for 20 games, Lucic is complete dog crap and best ignored because he is playing as much as they can to try and justify the deal no matter how terrible he is. Czarnik is an AHLer at best.

Then we have the 3 guys who have been the 2nd liners at times and none of them should be close to that role. Frolik is showing his age and lack of natural offensive talent. As a 3rd liner fine but no way he can play with Tkachuk any more. I know people constantly want to use injury or sickness to make excuses for Backlund because he is a fan favorite but he is another that constantly shows he doesn't have the offensive skill to play with Tkachuk. maybe if he were the 3rd option he could get by getting carried by Tkachuk and the other winger but without that he just limits what Tkachuk can do. I know people love Mangiapane because he is a Flames pick and was picked late but the guy does not have the offensive game to play in the top 6. He is also way to weak to have much of a role in the bottom 6. He isn't the worst option on a 4th line but that seems like the best option for him if they keep him on the team.

Its hard to see how the forward group becomes anything other than totally reliant on the top line with hopes the other guys can contribute at key times. They need at least 1 if not 2 more top 6 players and there is nobody on the roster that is likely to fill that role.

The defense outside of Gio is a mess and there seems to be little good options to flip things around and get better results. Maybe try:

Gio-Hamonic
Hanifin-Andersson
Kylington-Brodie

For something different but the two bottom pairings look very concerning defensively and that bottom pairing would need to create a lot to make up for the grade A chances they would give up.

Rittich has been fine, not great not terrible. Talbot in his limited time looks like a back-up, shakey and unreliable.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Thought you might want to see Clifford’s comment on the scrum

Clifford, on Mark Giordano’s leap into the pile:
I think he came over the pile pretty good. I don’t blame him. If I was in his shoes, I’d have done the same thing.
That's a great reaction

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I do not remember the start last year in terms of actual play but the biggest concern for me is not just the record of the team this year but they fully deserve that record based on how they have played, if anything it might be flattering.
And it was pretty flattering last year too. They were dominated by awful teams like the Blues, Vancouver, NYR, and Montreal before a 9-1 drubbing in their 10th game. The most worrisome part of this season so far is their inability to win on the road but that will change eventually

Reactions: Baxterman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad