GDT: Flames @ Jets MTS Centre Oct 19 6PM CST

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
Well anyways that was a good game. Not to discredit Hiller who was phenomenal in the first and solid all around, but I think our defense has been one of the top all around in the league. Our system seems a lot similar to the phoenix coyotes of a couple of years ago. Everyone back checks works hard, and keeps shots to the outside or low scoring areas despite allowing large numbers. Quite underrated and I think why we have played so well and our goalies have done so great.

Maybe I'm dreaming but I picture us right on the bubble and I wouldn't be surprised if we made it this year.

Have to disagree with you there, no team with Smid-Diaz as a pairing has one of the best defense in the league. Not to mention we've been giving up 30+ shots on a regular basis.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
On our defence, Gio, Brodie and Russell have been outstanding. Smid and Engelland have been quite good, Wideman has been bad, but played quite well tonight. Diaz has been okay but had his worst game of the season.

And I think Seto quietly had a solid game tonight, I liked his effort a lot. You can tell he's buying into the team game, Hartley has been really good for him.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Flames-bench-Oct-19-2014-300x200.jpg'

Flames post-game: Coach Hartley & Mason Raymond.

To listen click here.

Nice effort from your squad tnt.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
So, the Flames are 9-0 when I'm in attendance. You're welcome everyone.

Awesome game, aside from that 1st period. The things I noticed today;

1. Gaudreau may not be producing as much as everyone has hoped, but the Jets were really on him tonight. Seems they know they need to limit his space.
2. Hiller was outstanding. At this point, I'd consider him the starter.
3. Backlund and Raymond were great.
4. Brodie was the 1st star in my opinion. He was great.
5. Stajan and Setoguchi were underwhelming.
6. I can't believe how they pulled it together after that 1st period.
7. Wideman looked like his old self today.
8. Smid was downright awful.
9. Finally, Bouma was great. He was putting a ton of pressure on the Jets.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Well anyways that was a good game. Not to discredit Hiller who was phenomenal in the first and solid all around, but I think our defense has been one of the top all around in the league. Our system seems a lot similar to the phoenix coyotes of a couple of years ago. Everyone back checks works hard, and keeps shots to the outside or low scoring areas despite allowing large numbers. Quite underrated and the reason why we have started strong and our goalies have done so great.

Maybe I'm dreaming but I picture us right on the bubble and I wouldn't be surprised if we made it this year.

No. While I do think Brodano is a top pairing in the league, our defense is honestly mediocre. Russell is an average 2nd pairing guy, Wideman has been underwhelming, and Engelland/Smid have been slow as **** this year. The Flames can't keep giving up 30+ shots a night and continue to win. Eventually, it will catch up with them. They can't rely on Hiller to bail them out every night. Blocking shots will only get you so far.

Pathiic

Mar 13, 2014
Norway
I just have to congratulate the flames on an amazing road trip (in my eyes)
Flames are by far the team thats surprised me the most this season. 6 game road trip and 4 wins.
Hats of gents!

Glad my Hiller is in that team

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
I was especially happy with Wideman's game, if he keeps playing like that we've got two very good D pairings.
On the other hand, Smid and Diaz were horrible. Engelland's not amazing but he better replace one of those guys in the next game.
Colborne's game still seems pretty awkward to me but he keeps getting involved in a lot of goals for some reason.
Raymond is barely noticeable most of the time but he sure can score goals, great signing.
Still haven't seen anything by Setoguchi to justify the roster spot.
Bouma is awesome and I really like Bollig so far as well. Put Jooris in the middle and we have a badass 4th line.
Hiller, Gaudreau + all the usual suspects played great.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I was especially happy with Wideman's game, if he keeps playing like that we've got two very good D pairings.
On the other hand, Smid and Diaz were horrible. Engelland's not amazing but he better replace one of those guys in the next game.
Colborne's game still seems pretty awkward to me but he keeps getting involved in a lot of goals for some reason.
Raymond is barely noticeable most of the time but he sure can score goals, great signing.
Still haven't seen anything by Setoguchi to justify the roster spot.
Bouma is awesome and I really like Bollig so far as well. Put Jooris in the middle and we have a badass 4th line.
Hiller, Gaudreau + all the usual suspects played great.

Keep in mind that Engelland is only out right now because he's hurt, not because he's a healthy scratch. He was playing really good hockey with Russell before his injury. I think Diaz had one for the ages last night, to be honest. Smid wasn't great, but he was in tough trying to cover for his partner. It was like what happened last year with the 44/55 pairing when Butler looked horrific until management figured out that O'Brien was awful.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
No. While I do think Brodano is a top pairing in the league, our defense is honestly mediocre. Russell is an average 2nd pairing guy, Wideman has been underwhelming, and Engelland/Smid have been slow as **** this year. The Flames can't keep giving up 30+ shots a night and continue to win. Eventually, it will catch up with them. They can't rely on Hiller to bail them out every night. Blocking shots will only get you so far.

I honestly think Engelland is a really solid bottom guy. Problem is Calgary's carrying around too many bottom guys right now.

It's why I think Calgary should be in the Gormley Sweepstakes like crazy. At this point of time, I think Calgary doesn't look like a lotto team, compared to the likes of Buffalo, Edmonton, the Canes and even a team like the Peg... So I think it'd be of great value to get themselves another high caliber prospect like Gormley. I even think that I'd be okay with a 1 for 1 Sven/Gormley swap.

A defense that has a top 4 of:
Brodie - Gio
Gormley - Russell

Might be one of the most mobile and yet defensively sound D's around the league.

As for the game tonight, another slow start... but great finish. I love seeing Johnny do his thing out there. I think Monahan needs to start showing up; because it looks like he might be Sophomoring like crazy; overall great game. Also love the fact we have two competent #1 goalies.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
FWIW, Engelland said that Russell reminds him a lot of Goligoski. That's a pretty nice compliment.

Pretty good compliment. Surprisingly, Russell and Engellend have played pretty well together. But then again, I think Russell can play well with anyone. He has with Smid, with Wideman, and even with Brodie when Giordano was out last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad