Post-Game Talk: Flames @ Jets | Double-win: The Petanening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If this were the regular season then maybe you would be right...but it is not. These are player auditions and there is no doubt that Raffl willingly tried to engage Bollig in a fight. What Peluso did, under those circumstances, was completely for himself...and no wonder, as his place on the team is in serious jeopardy.
Raffl is 29, smart, skilled and doesn't need protection. What he needs is a chance to show his hockey skills and toughness. Give him the chance and put Peluso on waivers, please.

Agree

just wanted to pop in and remind everyone that I picked Petan as a standout. Lastnight showed it again.

He deserves a chance on the third. Let Burmi play with Thorbs.
Put Petan with players who can actually take a pass!!!

speaking of Burmi...... looks like more of the same from him. lotsa keepaway on the boards, lotsa possession times, no real offence. Perfect 4th liner

Petan will get his chance to move up as soon as there are injuries. It won't take long.

If this was just open tryouts, no contract issues it isn't certain that Burmi could make this team. I don't mean that as a criticism of Burmi either but the competition is strong.

its totally fine imo. Raffl showed he is solid by accepting or dishing a challenge and dropping the gloves. I personally have no issue with Peluso stepping in and taking that fight from that point on as I would hate to see Raffl breaking his hand or a finger on the other guys helmet or taking a dirty beating. Peluso sucks at hockey but at least he did his job there.

What financial protection does Raffl have if he gets injured before he gets a contract? IDK but it seems to me that he is in a pretty risky position.

I really like the Ehlers-Scheifele pairing.

Scheifele is at his best when he plays with someone who pushes the pace and Ehlers is certainly that type of guy.

For the rest of the lines/pairings I have no idea and it gives me a headache.

It is nice to have no idea for the reason that there is alot of options as opposed to not enough though. :)

It is the 4th line that I'm really having trouble with. I think it should be;
Raffl - Copp - Lipon
Waive Peluso, send Thor to the PB. But then where to put Petan? He could do really well with LL. Not only might he score quite a few points himself but he might add 5-10 pts to each of Ladd & Little. He could also fit well with Scheif - Ehlers and wouldn't hurt Lowry - Stafford either. In any of those cases it leaves Burmi as the odd man out. I don't like that either. It isn't as though Burmi is no good. He is just getting squeezed out and we will need him when we have injuries. So I leave Petan on the 4th when we are healthy. Send Lipon down. Play Raffl on the 4th and Thor still ends up in the PB.

We started with 3 vacancies for rookies. They are filled by Ehlers, Petan and Copp but both Raffl and Lipon have earned spots. We just don't have enough room when all are healthy. Waiving Peluso makes room for Raffle. Lipon is waiver exempt so he can go to the Moose freely until there is an injury.

Something to think about. If it was to be done exactly that way instead of worrying that Thor would move up as soon as we get 1 injury we would be in the position that even with 1 injury he is still in the PB much less moving up in the lineup. It would take 2 injuries just to get him onto the 4th line. That is in spite of Thor having played pretty well himself.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
If this were the regular season then maybe you would be right...but it is not. These are player auditions and there is no doubt that Raffl willingly tried to engage Bollig in a fight. What Peluso did, under those circumstances, was completely for himself...and no wonder, as his place on the team is in serious jeopardy.
Raffl is 29, smart, skilled and doesn't need protection. What he needs is a chance to show his hockey skills and toughness. Give him the chance and put Peluso on waivers, please.

But, you could also make the case that Raffl illustrated his moxie to the coaching staff by dropping the gloves and being clearly willing to go toe-to-toe with Bollig. I certainly wouldn't question Raffl's toughness anymore after that episode yesterday - and I was pleased as punch to see Raffl willing to go. I really don't believe that Peluso did himself and favours, or did Raffl any disfavour, by stepping in like that. It showed the coaches where Peluso's head is, at any rate.

But I agree with you that Peluso needs to go to make room for Raffl.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Being objective I think everyone can honestly say the same thing, those who thought Burmi could be Frolik's replacement were plain wrong as Burmi is and never will be a threat to score like Frolik. On the PK and defensively Burmi is pretty good. His O is all but non-existent. Like you said perfect 4th liner nothing more.

My memory of Burmi was much better than what we have seen lately. Maybe it is just the difference between lining up on the wing vs C but he used to make some pretty nice offensive plays, particularly with Kane. Is he taking a while to re-adjust to the smaller ice? Whatever, I'm sure he is capable of better. IDK how to bring that out in him though.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
My memory of Burmi was much better than what we have seen lately. Maybe it is just the difference between lining up on the wing vs C but he used to make some pretty nice offensive plays, particularly with Kane. Is he taking a while to re-adjust to the smaller ice? Whatever, I'm sure he is capable of better. IDK how to bring that out in him though.

I think Burmistrov needs some period of adjustment - smaller ice, culture, teammates etc.

I believe he'll be back to the Burmi I remember in about 10-15 games. Remember him? The penalty kill forward who could kill as much as a minute of a penalty all by himself? The guy that ran Zdeno Chara so hard one game that Chara lost it? The guy who could lug the puck out of the D-zone all the way into the O-zone without getting touched?

Remember him? He'll be back, mark my words.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Stuart doesn't play in that scenario.
Trouba - Myers
Enstrom - Buff
Chiarot - Postma
If Stuart must play (sigh), he would be on the left with Chiarot on the right I think. Chiarot has shown that he can switch sides quite well.

I think in the Trouba - Myers scenario it should be Myers that switches IMO. When he goes full running back and tries to carry the puck into the ozone he often carries it through the left side of the ice I've noticed and set up along that side. I'll keep more of an eye out if he plays next game if he continues to do it. Having Trouba on his natural side would be more beneficial from a defensive stand point i think if he ever has to cover when Myers pinches. Plus Trouba has a better slapper than Myers so him being on his natural side on the point while Myers pinches could be more beneficial.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
@snseanreynolds: Michael Raffl wanted to fight Brandon Bolig last night but didn't know he "was making a living" doing that, so was thankful Peluso jumped in

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think Burmistrov needs some period of adjustment - smaller ice, culture, teammates etc.

I believe he'll be back to the Burmi I remember in about 10-15 games. Remember him? The penalty kill forward who could kill as much as a minute of a penalty all by himself? The guy that ran Zdeno Chara so hard one game that Chara lost it? The guy who could lug the puck out of the D-zone all the way into the O-zone without getting touched?

I agree. We are seeing some flashes from Burmi right now but I think once the season starts and he gets himself more into Regular Season Burmi Form we will see what we all know and love from Burmi. He can take all the pre season time he wants to adjust as long as he's ready by the 5-10 game mark I'm okay with that. He's on an excellent line with Lurch and Staff right now. They seem to be exhibiting some chemistry so I think he will get in on that and we will see the exciting Burmi we remember.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
@snseanreynolds: Michael Raffl wanted to fight Brandon Bolig last night but didn't know he "was making a living" doing that, so was thankful Peluso jumped in

So it does come down to Bollig calling Raffl on and Raffl responding having no idea who he is, and why would he? Bollig is practically as much of a nobody as Peluso. Outside of those who are really into NHL fights. It is admirable that Peluso would step in though. Raffl has a shot at making this team, no need to jeopardize it. Peluso isn't going anywhere either. As much as we all would like him too.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

I think that is/was always the problem when looking back at Burmi, he always looked so close to putting it together offensively but never really did, even in the KHL his numbers weren't great. It won't take Mo long to decide where he plays unlike Noel who wasn't quite sure how to use him which led to both involved disgruntled.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think Burmi has been alright this preseason. He's been moved around quite a bit. Hasn't scored, but hasn't looked incompetent in the offensive zone. His forechecking, defensive game and penalty killing seem to be high quality. He's drawn a couple of penalties, too. Is there no room for that on this team?

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
So it does come down to Bollig calling Raffl on and Raffl responding having no idea who he is, and why would he? Bollig is practically as much of a nobody as Peluso. Outside of those who are really into NHL fights. It is admirable that Peluso would step in though. Raffl has a shot at making this team, no need to jeopardize it. Peluso isn't going anywhere either. As much as we all would like him too.

It amazes me that people think Peluso was doing it for any other reason than wanting to protect Raffl.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I think Burmi has been alright this preseason. He's been moved around quite a bit. Hasn't scored, but hasn't looked incompetent in the offensive zone. His forechecking, defensive game and penalty killing seem to be high quality. He's drawn a couple of penalties, too. Is there no room for that on this team?

My one real issue is that he's been playing a little too defensively.

Watch back to the Jets low cycling the puck and half the time you can find Burmistrov trying to play the role of the 3rd defensemen.

Why I in part made a joke about Burmi playing with Byfuglien. :laugh:

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth

I kind of agree, but he'll be behind Ehlers and Petan though this time around, even his experience isn't going to give him an edge here; although we do have room for that/his skill, any team does.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
It amazes me that people think Peluso was doing it for any other reason than wanting to protect Raffl.

Me too. This was verified further today when then interviewed Raffl, Peluso, and even PMo about that scrap.

Peluso did absolutely the correct intervention and it is his job to look out for his teammates, and that is exactly what he did.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Me too. This was verified further today when then interviewed Raffl, Peluso, and even PMo about that scrap.

Peluso did absolutely the correct intervention and it is his job to look out for his teammates, and that is exactly what he did.

Everyone on message, surprise, surprise...not sure how interviews the day after mean anything..........whatever happened it was settled in the room last niight. The public will never know.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Everyone on message, surprise, surprise...not sure how interviews the day after mean anything..........whatever happened it was settled in the room last niight. The public will never know.

Exactly. There are times when the public will never know the actual sentiments of players/management. Sometimes you have to put on a public face.

Avocado Coolranch

Just a fool
Jul 1, 2012
Vancouver
man people make it seem like burmi is the new james wright..... I still believe there is more to burmi than what has been shown so far in the PRESEASON.... But man is he a defensive juggernaut. Absolutely excellent on the pk which is a huge asset considering the jets were one of the highest if not the highest in PIMs last season.

Last edited:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Exactly. There are times when the public will never know the actual sentiments of players/management. Sometimes you have to put on a public face.

Raffl was pissed last night. This morning: he's on message.

I figure he'd have gotten tuned by Bolig, but that's not the point - he bought into the "team toughness" message, and was willing to drop the gloves. I give him major kudos (as I do Peluso for sticking up for a team-mate), but I do think that today's message was manufactured.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Burmi will be fine. He has been playing it safe and it's important to remember with Burmi and Lowry it's not how much they score it's whether they beat their match ups or not. I think they will both be really good at shot suppression-possession and will help our team win games. They will both chip in and get points but they should be able to eat toughs IMO.

pateramus

Jan 10, 2013
Winnipeg

By trading him to Buffalo :D

jk i like him. Its a process, he will find his game

LowEnd88

Feb 10, 2012
Winnipeg
My one real issue is that he's been playing a little too defensively.

Watch back to the Jets low cycling the puck and half the time you can find Burmistrov trying to play the role of the 3rd defensemen.

Why I in part made a joke about Burmi playing with Byfuglien. :laugh:

Yeah i noticed that he was hanging way back too. Hopefully he focus a little more on offense, but I gotta say I really love how in tune he is with the defensive side of the game.

I wonder if PMo will try to get burmi to cheat a little more so that he can start producing. He definitely has all of the skills for it.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Yeah i noticed that he was hanging way back too. Hopefully he focus a little more on offense, but I gotta say I really love how in tune he is with the defensive side of the game.

I wonder if PMo will try to get burmi to cheat a little more so that he can start producing. He definitely has all of the skills for it.

I always interpreted Noel's criticism of Burmi to be about the lack of offense.

I thought he was trying to coach increased aggressiveness in the O zone.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

Or perhaps he can cheat for D while Stafford cheats for O. They compliment each other nicely in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad