Pre-Game Talk: Flames in SENS DEN tonight, 7:30 pm on TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
How would it be a major **** up? If that is true, I missed it but makes me think a team was interested but were able to reach a deal on a player they coveted more.
Its a lot like Burrows. A team like Ottawa who doesn't properly do their home work and values big dumb 'tough' north American players could have been swindled while prepping for a playoff run.

The longer time goes by the worse Smith will get and the more obvious it will be to the rest of the league he doesn't belong. Just like Burrows, no one will even take him for free.

Dorion didn't need to get anything for him, he really needed to clear his money off the books. As it stands we're gonna have an unholy quartet of dead salary of Burrow, Smith, Gaborik and Ryan eating up almost a fifth of our entire player budget for the next few years. Would be huge to move any of those guys without taking money back especially given that NONE of our top 3 players have a contract beyond next season and are all due a raise.

Reactions: LudwigVonKarlsson

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
If they want to move Smith there will be suitors in the summer
See this is where I really disagree. Once summer hits guys like Smith are frantically looks for new homes in the NHL. You can get a guy who's much better on league minimum or slightly more in July. No reason to give up assets for an expensive 4th line player in the summer. Teams get desperate during the season and down the stretch, but no one'sin dire need for Smiths in the summer.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Its a lot like Burrows. A team like Ottawa who doesn't properly do their home work and values big dumb 'tough' north American players could have been swindled while prepping for a playoff run.

The longer time goes by the worse Smith will get and the more obvious it will be to the rest of the league he doesn't belong. Just like Burrows, no one will even take him for free.

Dorion didn't need to get anything for him, he really needed to clear his money off the books. As it stands we're gonna have an unholy quartet of dead salary of Burrow, Smith, Gaborik and Ryan eating up almost a fifth of our entire player budget for the next few years. Would be huge to move any of those guys without taking money back especially given that NONE of our top 3 players have a contract beyond next season and are all due a raise.

I agree Smith should have been moved, I don't think the boat will have sailed by the offseason. Though I wouldn't say a deal falling through is a "major f*** up", without knowing the details kind of hard to blame Dorion for said deal not happening.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Are you talking the years where Hamilton was in Boston? Dude had a ton of career growth since his rookie year.
It was while he was in Calgary. To be fair. Those posters said “Hamilton may be better offensively but ceci is so much better defensively”

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Okay just bury him down there. Let someone else play.

Also Gaborik is done as an NHLer

At this point in the season, whats the point. Everyone wants younger players here immediately but throwing them in a position to fail is not the solution. You don't develop players by throwing them in the lineup and expecting them to figure it out at the highest level. I've had a front row seat to that theory, it doesn't work.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
At this point in the season, whats the point. Everyone wants younger players here immediately but throwing them in a position to fail is not the solution. You don't develop players by throwing them in the lineup and expecting them to figure it out at the highest level. I've had a front row seat to that theory, it doesn't work.
They are already failing and being buried in the minors. Do you think Belleville is a great environment right now to develop them?

I ask you, what future does Burrows have? You keep letting kids rot in the minors then there will be an abundance of them with no room to play with no exposure to the league as potential trade chips. Burrows is done like what the f*** is the point in playing him?

Seasons done. See what you have. I understand you are trying to be impartial but it doesn't make sense.

Reactions: DrEasy

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

I’d like to know more about this! PM if you prefer

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Curtis Lazar is the reason we're not calling up White yet, it would be silly for us to rush anyone again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad