Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
C5oB5OPWcAECnMH.jpg

Ring ring ring ring ring banana phone

I like how he had to squat a little lower cause it's Johnny haha

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Okay, this is almost worthy of its own thread, but . . .

Has this year not been one of the weirdest years in Flames history? And I'm not even exagerating.

Like, how we are where we are in the standings is mind-boggling considering the overall tone throughout the year. Even if we didn't play well down the stretch here and missed the playoffs, it still feels like we're overrepresented in the standings compared to how crappy it's felt lol.

I mean the Backlund line has been carrying us, and we've had really bright spots with he and Tkachuck.

Now, as bad as a season as both Monahan and Johnny had, you've got Sean with 20 goals and 20 assists all of a sudden; Gaudreau is at 43 points (13 goals, 20 assists) and only one point behind Backlund. Throw in a solid campaign by Ferland and strange things are afoot at the circle-K. Heck, if we continue with what we're doing, coach G could be amongst coach-of-the-year mentions.

It's just felt like a season that somehow was half decent all the while seeming like it was the end of the world. :dunno:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Has this year not been one of the weirdest years in Flames history? And I'm not even exagerating.

Like, how we are where we are in the standings is mind-boggling considering the overall tone throughout the year. Even if we didn't play well down the stretch here and missed the playoffs, it still feels like we're overrepresented in the standings compared to how crappy it's felt lol.

I mean the Backlund line has been carrying us, and we've had really bright spots with he and Tkachuck.

Now, as bad as a season as both Monahan and Johnny had, you've got Sean with 20 goals and 20 assists all of a sudden; Gaudreau is at 43 points (13 goals, 20 assists) and only one point behind Backlund. Throw in a solid campaign by Ferland and strange things are afoot at the circle-K. Heck, if we continue with what we're doing, coach G could be amongst coach-of-the-year mentions.

It's just felt like a season that somehow was half decent all the while seeming like it was the end of the world. :dunno:

The way it feels sometimes it feels closer to how the team finished last year than where they actually are in the standings lol. They were just that bad to start the year.

All those people that said give it 20 games before we throw in the towel deserve internet cookies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The way it feels sometimes it feels closer to how the team finished last year than where they actually are in the standings lol. They were just that bad to start the year.

All those people that said give it 20 games before we throw in the towel deserve internet cookies.

I was part of that group, and while yes that has been a large part of it the other half to it is we have been getting decent goaltending this season compared to the tire fire here last season.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West

Yeah, true. I still can't make the 2 plus 2 = 5 yet lol. I always believed Gaudreau would turn it around . . . I think. But I still can't believe we're where we're at when all is said in done. Somehow we were scraping, getting points along all the while things felt like a dumster fire.

BCNeil

Apr 21, 2016

Yeah, it is an odd feeling season. So much of it was being 2-6 points out of the final wildcard....seems to wear down fans.

If you take out the first 20 games....we have a better record than the Ducks, Oilers, and Kings since. It just seemed that up till this streak, every time they got close to the wildcard, they would take a step back. Like that Coyote game last week.
:shakehead

Last edited:

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I was part of that group, and while yes that has been a large part of it the other half to it is we have been getting decent goaltending this season compared to the tire fire here last season.

I never threw in the towel on Gaudreau, but I have to say I closed my eyes for awhile. I remember hearing an interview of Conroy several weeks ago when Calgary played Toronto and you could hear Craig jonesing bad about his boy Johnny. Anyway, thank God for Backlund and Tkachuk and the rest of the group that somehow kept us within striking distance.

Also, lets face it, some of our competition did didly squat with all the games in hand they had on us when we had like 4 games in 2 weeks there. That helped us a lot.

YourAverageFan*

Jan 19, 2016
I don't want to brag or anything but only I and a couple other Flames fans knew everything was going to be okay early on in the season. While everyone was calling for GG to be fired and saying he was a terrible coach and Gaudreau was playing terribly, I defended both of them showing again and again why GG is a great coach and why Gaudreau was in the midst of an unlucky season.

So no, I'm not surprised about where we are in the standings

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

My Dr. doesn't want me to eat cookies. :cry:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I don't know what this means, but I like it.

Some context.

Hrudey on Color: "Mikael Backlund has no weaknesses to his game"

In general, Dragon Type Pokemon don't have weaknesses outside of Dragon type attacks (and Ice-Beams, which we will refer to as "Ryan Getlzaf at the Honda Centre".)

Hence; Mikael Backlund is a Dragon Type.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Some context.

In general, Dragon Type Pokemon don't have weaknesses outside of Dragon type attacks (and Ice-Beams, which we will refer to as "Ryan Getlzaf at the Honda Centre".)

Ahhhh :laugh:

I'm okay with Backlund being the Dragonite of hockey players.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

It's the slow start. Since the one month mark of the season the Flames have put it together. We are a young team so there are still ups and downs and due to the youth I think the ups will be higher and the downs lower. But Gully deserves a ton of credit for implementing a system that somewhat masked our defensive deficiencies because that is (hopefully was with Stone and Bart now in the fold) our biggest problem and has been for a few years now.

I've done this in a few other threads, but since the November 15th game (the first game after the one month mark of the season and the ugly loss to the Rangers) the Flames are:

6th in points earned. Only behind Washington, Columbus, Minnesota, Pittsburgh and San Jose.
16th in goals for, this was 19th a couple weeks ago when I did this.
6th in goals against. Only behind Washington, Minnesota, Los Angeles, San Jose and Columbus.
3rd in PP%. Only behind Minnesota and Washington.
8th in PK%. Only behind Los Angeles, Boston, Florida, Anaheim, Carolina, Washington and Toronto.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Carolina commentators said just before the game, or maybe it was after couple of shifts, that they are matching their top pair (Slavin & Faulk) to play against Backlund line. Not sure about the Ferland goal but Gaudreau scored both of this with some help from Pesce.

edit: Pesce with a -3

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

Probably anchoring. That first month was some of the worst hockey I have ever seen by an NHL team (on a game-by-game basis, and as an overall stretch). It was so bad that it makes any success this season look surreal.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I am excited for Tuesday more to see Hamilton's next photo bomb than the actual game.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Some context.

Mikael Backlund is a Digimon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad