Post-Game Talk: Flames Get Water All Over The Oilers' Jacket ... Oilers Lose 8-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
They didn't quit under Renney, they were just bad and filled with rookies. They played hard under Kruger but chocked after the TDL. They quit playing for Eakins. This teams needs an experienced, winner coach that commands respect, not demands respect. Hopefully one becomes available this off season.

If they didn't quit (see the other Alberta franchise) they could have done better than 30th and 29th.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
If you guys do end up trading Hall, mind sending him our way? Nuge too if he ever actually hits the weight room. You can keep Eberle and Yakupov, not interested. I honestly think this team isn't as far off as it appears.

Obviously you need a defenseman, but I think you basically need a tough minutes set. I'm a Flames fan. We're terrible in terms of talent, but the one thing we do have is a tough minutes set. You throw out Giordano and Brodie with Backlund up the middle and they play top lines to a standstill every night. Then you can shelter some of the guys who will never be good defensive players (for us, Hudler, Cammalleri). Nuge skates well and reads the play, he'll be good defensively eventually when he puts on some actual meat (weight room this summer?), Hall is strong and a good skater. He actually back checks, he just never seems to pick the right guy and get in the right spot. That can be fixed. Eberle is hopeless defensively IMO. Use him to score, give him cherry offensive zone starts and play him against the bottom 6. Yakupov doesn't care and won't conform. The only option with someone like that is to hope his attitude changes or ship him out of town for something. Guys like Backlund and Brodie can be found every year. Gordon is actually not a bad start. Finding a premium defenseman (someone like Gio) is difficult. If Ekblad is unavailable to you, I'd ship that pick and Yakupov to get a tough minutes defender. You might even be able to pair him with one of your young guys who skate well and solve it that way. Brodie looks like a world beater with Gio and fairly average if he's playing with Butler. Then let your talent carry the play against 3rd and 4th lines with hard minutes guys playing against the tough competition.

BTW, for those of you blaming the goaltending, there was really only one bad goal. The rest were bad bounces or poor defensive coverage.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Can someone tell me what happened between Hall n Eakins?

9y3ph.gif

This is all you need to know

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
What exactly is the context of the Eakins/Hall verbal... thing? All I saw was Eakins losing it with Hall and Hall ignoring it, along with the Perron shoulder tap... I mean really, wtf is going on in that damn room?

does anybody have a clip on this? i didn't watch the game and would like to see it

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't think that spat was a bit deal tbh. I don't know exactly what was said but it seemed just like Hall was frustrated and was just completely shut off from everyone. I don't think it represents any kind of schism in the room or anything like that. Maybe there is, but that incident doesn't really prove anything other than that Hall was pissed off about losing so badly at home.

If that's the case, it would make sense for Eakins to confront him about it just to snap him out of it. I think veteran players learn to let these incidents slide off more, which actually gives you a better chance at climbing back.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
Think of the Positive............????

The loss to Calgary is meaningless............the positive factor is that it pretty well guarantees that we will finish behind the Flames so we will most likely get to draft ahead of Calgary.

Remember, both teams will be completely different next year, so relax enjoy the summer and prey we get Eckblad at the draft.

GDU

Dec 19, 2008
If you guys do end up trading Hall, mind sending him our way? Nuge too if he ever actually hits the weight room. You can keep Eberle and Yakupov, not interested. I honestly think this team isn't as far off as it appears.

Obviously you need a defenseman, but I think you basically need a tough minutes set. I'm a Flames fan. We're terrible in terms of talent, but the one thing we do have is a tough minutes set. You throw out Giordano and Brodie with Backlund up the middle and they play top lines to a standstill every night. Then you can shelter some of the guys who will never be good defensive players (for us, Hudler, Cammalleri). Nuge skates well and reads the play, he'll be good defensively eventually when he puts on some actual meat (weight room this summer?), Hall is strong and a good skater. He actually back checks, he just never seems to pick the right guy and get in the right spot. That can be fixed. Eberle is hopeless defensively IMO. Use him to score, give him cherry offensive zone starts and play him against the bottom 6. Yakupov doesn't care and won't conform. The only option with someone like that is to hope his attitude changes or ship him out of town for something. Guys like Backlund and Brodie can be found every year. Gordon is actually not a bad start. Finding a premium defenseman (someone like Gio) is difficult. If Ekblad is unavailable to you, I'd ship that pick and Yakupov to get a tough minutes defender. You might even be able to pair him with one of your young guys who skate well and solve it that way. Brodie looks like a world beater with Gio and fairly average if he's playing with Butler. Then let your talent carry the play against 3rd and 4th lines with hard minutes guys playing against the tough competition.

BTW, for those of you blaming the goaltending, there was really only one bad goal. The rest were bad bounces or poor defensive coverage.

lol flames fans

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Why focus on the water bottle?

Half this roster and the coach have to go. Enough with leaving the "core" intact.

This team is the laughing stock of professional sports.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005

Great post. Thanks for dropping by. You're right. A minute muncher & solid leader like giordano makes a world of difference. The oilers were really short sighted in thinking they could get that with ference.

Keep nuge & hall. Look at what you can get for eberle & yakupov.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
What an embarrassment this organization is. It is really tough to care so much about this stupid team and watch them continually fail in every single aspect possible. I wish I could force myself into apathy.

Just when things were starting to maybe look a little better(I voted fools gold), we lose to the ****ing SABRES and then get dominated by the FLAMES.

Same old **** as always here in Oil Country.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
The loss to Calgary is meaningless............the positive factor is that it pretty well guarantees that we will finish behind the Flames so we will most likely get to draft ahead of Calgary.

Remember, both teams will be completely different next year, so relax enjoy the summer and prey we get Eckblad at the draft.

Who says blad would want to come to this mess?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

The Flames roster is deceptive in terms of talent.

They have more veteran players that help them deal with tough situations. Young teams like ours are not poised and so when things start going badly they tend to get worse. Our lack of poise turned what should have been a 4-2 loss into an 1-8 loss, and we did beat the Flames several times this season.

Having a 1D in Giordano helps a lot for sure. We simply do not have that key position filled.

The Oilers are set up better than the Flames still. Cammaleri will walk. Glencross will start to decline. Giordano too. Their lineup will probably never be completely embarassing like our's has been but I don't see a path to a cup with that group either.

Angelus*

We've taken a lot of abuse as Oiler fans, the "mass exodus" of 2006/post-Smyth trade/drafting 1st overall three years in a row/missing the playoffs for almost a decade/Kevin Lowe's idiocy…but losing 8-1 at home to ****ing Shelbyville, yeah **** that. I'm done. I'll jump back on the bandwagon in 2027 when this franchise clinches a playoff spot. **** this.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Oh, god. Has anyone been on TSN.ca lately? Front page for NHL, "New Battle of Alberta? Who will make the play-offs first? Calgary or Edmonton."

This team, I tell ya'.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
As much as I hate this disaster of a team, I love the idea of flames fans thinking their team is a foundation to build on.

I wish the flames and Oilers would get in sync and do Yakupov for Giordano + 2nd or something. But neither franchise has the wherewithal to consider helping each other out even if it's mutually beneficial.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Could anyone who watched the entirety of After Hours recap what Hendricks in particular said? BTW... I know people here were screaming bloody murder, but... did anyone actually have a proper rebuttal to Healy and co.'s gutting of golden boy Hall's D coverage? All that footage was from the game itself, and it was pretty damning. Lots of introspection and real soul searching has to be done, by both player(s) and coaches (but how many times has this been pointed out by so many of us here?).

In some ways this continued, mutually assured path of self destruction for both organization and fans is going to help MacT find some clarity, one way or another. There isn't buy-in from players on the system (seemingly the issue for several years), the lack of effort/competitive fire/professional pride is disgusting in its absence (again, repeated ad nauseam), and the coaching staff and players continue to demonstrate the totality of their ineptitude and lack of preparation. I feel completely inured and numb at this point as a fan, watching the players and the coaching staff run this organization into the ground. Wanted to scream 'WAKE THE **** UP' to every one of those players and coaches last night. :help:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
After the score went from 1-1 to 5-1 in 3:30 mins Taylor Hall skated back to the bench and picked up a water bottle and sprayed water all over Eakins. Then he told Eakins it was his last game as an Oiler.

Then he flipped the bird to the crowd and slapped Joey Moss.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Could anyone who watched the entirety of After Hours recap what Hendricks in particular said? BTW... I know people here were screaming bloody murder, but... did anyone actually have a proper rebuttal to Healy and co.'s gutting of golden boy Hall's D coverage? All that footage was from the game itself, and it was pretty damning. Lots of introspection and real soul searching has to be done, by both player(s) and coaches (but how many times has this been pointed out by so many of us here?).
:help:
Pretty much what you'd expect from a vet.

Spoke highly of Adam Foote and how he took young players under his wing and calmed things down as a team leader and that in any lineup some people have to lead, some have to follow.

Talked about team needing to play the right way and focus on D and coverage first. Talked about his role as a vet in helping this get established with the players.
Talked about liking it here and being such a difference playing in a Canadian passionate fanbase where the fans care.

unknown part is they focused on Hendricks formerly being a shootout trickster. He had this move where he used to fake shot and freeze the goalies.

Also talked about him flying off to Afghanistan and touring around in lockout year and supporting the troops. Guy is something else.

Finally talked about his wife and kid not being here but they visit and are still living in Nashville and how hard that is.

Guy is tough as nails, funny, endearing. Class act through and through. What you see is what you get with this guy.

It was one of the best ever segments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad