Flames fire Geoff Ward, name Darryl Sutter head coach

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Lol, he wins and gets fired. Like what's the point of that? Treliving obviously had the desire to fire him at least a week before this so why not do it then and why do it after their team wins a statement game - albeit against a rubbish club?

Ward never really seemed like the solution after Peters abruptly resigned due to those reasons. It just seemed like a quick fix for a terrible reason their original coach got the can.

Sutter is a brilliant coach, but I am not sure his system is useful in today's modern NHL. Don't get me wrong the trap is still effective in every sport including hockey, but now you need good skating forwards to play the trap, counterattack, and I am not sure Sutter knows how to do that. The Flames are still beyond mediocre and I don't think Darryl is good enough to change that because Kings are showing they can still play hockey and that's still with majority of the group he had in LA in charge.

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
I have my concerns about Sutter being able to adjust to the current game, but Ward was one of the worst head coaches i've ever seen at the NHL level so I can't be too upset. Hopefully he can bring something out of our best players.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Lol, he wins and gets fired. Like what's the point of that? Treliving obviously had the desire to fire him at least a week before this so why not do it then and why do it after their team wins a statement game - albeit against a rubbish club?

Ward never really seemed like the solution after Peters abruptly resigned due to those reasons. It just seemed like a quick fix for a terrible reason their original coach got the can.

Sutter is a brilliant coach, but I am not sure his system is useful in today's modern NHL. Don't get me wrong the trap is still effective in every sport including hockey, but now you need good skating forwards to play the trap, counterattack, and I am not sure Sutter knows how to do that. The Flames are still beyond mediocre and I don't think Darryl is good enough to change that because Kings are showing they can still play hockey and that's with majority of the group he had in LA in charge.
Pretty sure he was getting fired losing or winning today , you just don't sign a new coach in 20min after a game for a 3 years deal.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Pretty sure he was getting fired losing or winning today , you just don't sign a new coach in 20min after a game for a 3 years deal.
But that's what I don't get, if he was getting fired regardless of what the result was today...then why not fire him last game or last week instead? Just super awkward to know that your GM wanted you gone like two weeks prior and have it happen after a win.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
But that's what I don't get, if he was getting fired regardless of what the result was today...then why not fire him last game or last week instead? Just super awkward to know that your GM wanted you gone like two weeks prior and have it happen after a win.
Perhaps the papers were done last night or today. I can't really tell you whats happening upstairs. But seems like both CGY and MTL GM are getting the boot soon enough

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If he's on his way out the door, why not fire him first and let the new GM evaluate?

There's always the chance that Sutter becomes the GM...
When Peters was fired, there were rumblings that the ownership group wanted Sutter to step in on an interim basis. Treliving exercised his negotiated autonomy and hired Ward which blew up in his face. Big chance that ownership stepped in and made this decision and told Treliving that he could kick rocks if he wasn't on board. I think there's a chance Sutter'll be our interim GM at some point

generalshepherd141

Jun 12, 2017
America
Lmao, firing their coach after an easy win is such a Flames thing to do.

To be fair Ward had to go though. Sutter is not a bad idea because of his past success with Calgary and his 2 Cups in LA. I'm curious to see if he's still in-tune with the game or if it has passed him by.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Oh shit, he's back!
BFOWU9O.jpg

Weekend passes are revoked!

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
This has the potential to have very bad optics.

Dan Carcillo called out Darryl Sutter a couple years ago as one of 'those' coaches that the NHL is quietly trying to remove from the game.

He cited an incident when Sutter kicked his back on the bench in LA. Can't remember if it was once or multiple times. Flames fans better hope that Sutter's closet doesn't have any skeletons.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
surprised he decided to coach again

reminds me of when the ducks fired randy carlyle after a win

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad