Post-Game Talk: Flames doused, who cares I care Jets win 3-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
Yup, there is no pressure on the players any longer so they are playing loose. We see bad teams play good down the stretch all the the time.

They need a new coaching staff in place and they need to make some changes to the room to improve culture.
I don't even think it's about pressure. We have a tonne of guys on guaranteed contracts, but suddenly when guys are just playing for their own individual stats they play way better. We need a couple D on rfa years to replace the set for life boys like Schmidt and demelo.

Reactions: rkp

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
nice to see wheeler finally earning his 8 mill a season paycheck for the past month or so(jets out of the playoffs!!!)........where is he gonna be at the beginning of the season.....off to one of his famous slow starts till xmas as usual, just what this team needs in a leader.........someone should tell wheeler the C on his sweater stands for captain, not coach

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I don't even think it's about pressure. We have a tonne of guys on guaranteed contracts, but suddenly when guys are just playing for their own individual stats they play way better. We need a couple D on rfa years to replace the set for life boys like Schmidt and demelo.

The Jets have 3 defencemen who are plating at an above league average level, based on the Athletic's player cards, and you've listed two of them.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The Jets have 3 defencemen who are plating at an above league average level, based on the Athletic's player cards, and you've listed two of them.

Yup, DeMelo has done his job well. Schmidt is who he is. He's over priced but still contributes positively.

We need Pionk to really up his game and for Samberg to fully establish himself as an everyday contributor next year.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Yup, DeMelo has done his job well. Schmidt is who he is. He's over priced but still contributes positively.

We need Pionk to really up his game and for Samberg to fully establish himself as an everyday contributor next year.

I'd like to see Morrissey, Samberg and Heinola on the left next season and DeMelo, Pionk and Schmidt on the right. Stanley as the 7 or traded. Dillon traded as well.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'd like to see Morrissey, Samberg and Heinola on the left next season and DeMelo, Pionk and Schmidt on the right. Stanley as the 7 or traded. Dillon traded as well.

I'd be fine with that. Samberg and Pionk look pretty good together and Heinola was good with Schmidt.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Demelo doesn’t play anything like a set for life guy who doesn’t care. Not every player with a good contract mails it in. I also don’t think Schmidt’s problem has anything to do with effort either. I think most of the D’s woes were system and pairing related.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Demelo doesn’t play anything like a set for life guy who doesn’t care. Not every player with a good contract mails it in. I also don’t think Schmidt’s problem has anything to do with effort either. I think most of the D’s woes were system and pairing related.
Yeah, Schmidt, while having some particularly noticeable mistakes, did perfectly fine statistically away from Stanley. Stanley did fine with DeMelo. Morrissey did fine in general. Our second pairing sucked.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Very nice win tonight, just surprised that they played Hellebuyck. You would think they would give "The Brick" some more playing time, but...

View attachment 538138

Just one more game and this season is in the books. I am hoping for some changes to be made after Sunday, but Chipman seemed a bit non committal when talking to Sara...

View attachment 538139

Hopefully, I am not reading too much into that interview...:dunno:

giphy.gif

So true for the Jets! Let's hope...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

and not...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Either way, something that won't change is my devotion to this team, whether it be heart-felt or delusional, I'll still love my team! See you on Sunday! Go Jets Go! :hockey:

Agreed.
But - though the Jets may never win a SC, they at least need to be trying to and to be seen to be trying.
It may be Chipman's team, but he needs to remember where the money actually comes from.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think the coaching staff will return.
They have looked good in garbage time , which either means they do not play well when the pressure is on or they finally bought what Lowry is selling.

No, it means neither of those things. It means it is garbage time. Glorified exhibition games.

If Lowry and Huddy are back I'll, I'll, I'll ............ probably burst a blood vessel.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Normally I really get up for these games. Didn't even watch.

You missed a meaningless, but entertaining game.

Helle looked a tad weak on the Flames goal was absolutely fantastic the rest of the way. Worth the price of admission just to see that.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

DeMelo?
Really ????????

Reactions: Ducky10

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I want to see Schmidt gone too. He doesn't come close to earning his paycheck. Every good play is balanced out by a bad one, and vice versa.

Reactions: bustamente

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I think we should trade Schmidt and Dillon but if we do, it would be nice to bring back a good RHD.
I honestly think Detroit would bite on Schmidt.
I think the Flyers would be interested in Dillon.
I doubt Chevy moves them though.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I want to see Schmidt gone too. He doesn't come close to earning his paycheck. Every good play is balanced out by a bad one, and vice versa.

According to the model he's worth about $4.2m a year. Yes, his defence isn't solid but he's carried some drek this season (Stanley mostly).

That's not as bad as our 2nd pairing who are a combined $4.9m overpaid.

Unless the plan is to spend that extra couple of million to the cap, I don't think getting rid of Schmidt is high on the list. I think he'd be an effective partner for Heinola.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
According to the model he's worth about $4.2m a year. Yes, his defence isn't solid but he's carried some drek this season (Stanley mostly).

That's not as bad as our 2nd pairing who are a combined $4.9m overpaid.

Unless the plan is to spend that extra couple of million to the cap, I don't think getting rid of Schmidt is high on the list. I think he'd be an effective partner for Heinola.

Schmidt was pretty good, IMO, earlier in the season when he was paired with Morrissey. DeMelo and Morrissey together are better, but I like DeMelo with Heinola better than Schmidt there.

Assuming we are actually going to play Heinola on the 3rd pair, I think we have better options than using Schmidt there. So I prefer either Schmidt with Morrissey and DeMelo with Heinola or Schmidt gone altogether.

I think Kovacevic on the 3rd pair for <1mil gives less offence, more defence, = play for 1/6th the cost. Or, heaven forbid, we manage to actually acquire a top pair RHD. Either way, Schmidt is just in the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad