Proposal: Flames/Devils

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Understandable. I definitely agree that Bennett being a former #3 (actually a #4. Ekblad, Leon, and Reinhart all went ahead of Bennett) is meaningless when trying to value a player. Draft position doesn't mean a thing.

If you watch him play, he exhibits the talent that made him a #4 overall. He has yet to live up to that potential. Potential, which is often reflected in draft position, is very relevant for a player Bennett's age. Obviously results are better.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
If you watch him play, he exhibits the talent that made him a #4 overall. He has yet to live up to that potential. Potential, which is often reflected in draft position, is very relevant for a player Bennett's age. Obviously results are better.

I disagree. There are guys who are 5th rounders who wind up developing quickly that show that talent, and there are guys who are drafted top 5 who wind up regressing hard. To me, draft position is meaningless the second a player is drafted. Draft position does not equal potential. Draft position is simply where scouts/management value a specific player. Calgary clearly valued Bennett to take him at 4th overall. Other teams may not have.

I do agree that he shows potential and talent that warranted him being 4th overall, I just don't think that means a thing when trying to value a player.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
thats another way of saying he hasn't been that good.

Bennett being picked #3 overall doesn't factor into anything.

You guys are SEVERELY underrating Palmieri, but thats fine.

Not to mention he wasn't #3 overall. And also the fact his production took a nosedive pretty quickly. Bennett might end up as productive as Palmieri at some point. MIGHT.

Last edited:

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I disagree. There are guys who are 5th rounders who wind up developing quickly that show that talent, and there are guys who are drafted top 5 who wind up regressing hard. To me, draft position is meaningless the second a player is drafted. Draft position does not equal potential. Draft position is simply where scouts/management value a specific player. Calgary clearly valued Bennett to take him at 4th overall. Other teams may not have.

I do agree that he shows potential and talent that warranted him being 4th overall, I just don't think that means a thing when trying to value a player.

Lol.. Draft rankings had him going as high as first overall.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Yup. And clearly Florida, Edmonton, and Buffalo saw something in another player, or saw some flaws with Bennett. A players draft position doesn't mean a ****ing thing.
Yeah like all those teams have an impeccable draft record :laugh:

In Bennetts case his bum shoulder were his flaw and since he was Trelivings first ever pick his draft position likely means a lot. Bennett just turned 21 and will not be moved unless it's severe overpayment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad