Proposal: Flames/Devils

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Value aside, the Devils lack RW depth as well. We're already looking at one of the LWs (possibly Johansson) playing on the RW as is. Devils have lots of C/LW types, so it probably wouldn't work from a positional standpoint.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I'd love to get Kylington...he is a guy I targeted a few weeks back when trying to think of teams with an abundance of good DMen.

but not at the expense of Palmieri.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
No way. Palmieri is not the solution. He's too small to play on a line with Gaudreau. This are two big assets going back.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I honestly dont think I would do Bennett for Palmieri straight up let alone add Oliver Kylington. Nothing against Palmiere, those are just two big pieces from Calgary.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Palmieri plays a lot bigger than his size. He plays more like a 6'3" power forward.

Great...The Flames have plenty of feisty guys too. We need actual size to physically wear down teams and deal with the large teams in our division like the Ducks.

I would love to have Palmieri on the team. I think he's a perfect depth forward. However, I see him as a 25 goal/50 point guy and not a perfect first line forward. In what way is he any better than our current option of Ferland for #1 RW? Once Ferland was moved into the top 6, he scored at a similar rate to Palmieri. He's also fiesty, but big too.

Bennett still has the potential to be a bonafide first line player. His floor IMO is a Palmieri type player.

Kylington is also a very solid prospect.

So basically unless you are sending a player that is a clear upgrade on Ferland, the Flames aren't interested. The pieces in this move also way too big to be moving for a guy like Palmieri.

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015
im SHOCKED by the devils fans saying no...... High potential D man which is #1 priority for their rebuild AND a former #3 overall who has only up to go. I would'nt trade them together for Taylor hall nevermind Palmieri

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
im SHOCKED by the devils fans saying no...... High potential D man which is #1 priority for their rebuild AND a former #3 overall who has only up to go. I would'nt trade them together for Taylor hall nevermind Palmieri

thats another way of saying he hasn't been that good.

Bennett being picked #3 overall doesn't factor into anything.

You guys are SEVERELY underrating Palmieri, but thats fine.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

Palmieri would be an awesome fit, but obtaining him makes re-signing Backlund very difficult cap wise, and we'd also lose Bennett from our center depth in the process. If Calgary couldn't re-sign Backlund, that leaves them with Monahan, Jankowski, and Lazar as their #1-3 centers.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
How bout Calgary loans Bennett to New Jersey and see how he plays out before they make the trade eh?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Palmieri would be an awesome fit, but obtaining him makes re-signing Backlund very difficult cap wise, and we'd also lose Bennett from our center depth in the process. If Calgary couldn't re-sign Backlund, that leaves them with Monahan, Jankowski, and Lazar as their #1-3 centers.

and thats totally fair. I do not claim to know what Calgary's cap situation is like.

I just didn't think his post was fair.

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015

i guess i am, his stats are there. Palms is a great player, no doubt. I am probably too high on Kylington &Bennett and i know Bennett hasn't been great but its way too sweet of a deal for the devils to pass up. They could easily be looking at a 50 point player in Bennett and a top 4D in two years for just Palmieri

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
I don't think NJ are in a position to trade Palmieri yet.

With that kind of package, CGY could target someone better though.

No from both sides.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Trades happen when there's an intersection of value and motivation. I don't think anybody's questioning the value portion of it. But our RW depth is weak at the NHL level. Palmieri's in year 2 of a five year deal and has been one of the few bright spots. I just don't see us looking to move him at the moment.

Certainly wouldn't mind adding guys like Bennett or Kylington, but there are other routes to addressing our needs on the blue line. Basically this trade is maybe filling a hole while definitely opening up another.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
and thats totally fair. I do not claim to know what Calgary's cap situation is like.

I just didn't think his post was fair.

Understandable. I definitely agree that Bennett being a former #3 (actually a #4. Ekblad, Leon, and Reinhart all went ahead of Bennett) is meaningless when trying to value a player. Draft position doesn't mean a thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad