Post-Game Talk: Flames def. Canucks - 6-3 (Hughes, Garland, Pettersson)

Status
Not open for further replies.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
At this point you have to say the playoffs were lost the day Green was re-signed and dearth of success over the last decade was determined when the dolt Benning was somehow given the reins of the team. Basically down to a few players carrying the load and even those guys worn down to the quick.

Good

Garland - emerging not only as elite player but also as one of the heart and soul players of the team. His play during the last stretch has been superb.

Hughes - played his heart out and at the center of most of the good things the team did in this game. Has a season to build off of.

Miller - like many obviously injured but he was still effective. You build franchises around players like this.

Dermott - another good game. Another nice development and looks like present regime did a good in that trade. Starting to show more offensive chops although that is not core game.

Not Very Good

Myers- you could see he was nursing his way through this game. Give him credit for the effort he made but a rough game in every way - around his net, at his blue line, moving the puck up out of his zone. Likely he shouldn't have been playing but workload caught up to him in this game. OEL and Schenn laboring as well.

Boeser - for whatever reason he can't skate well enough to get anything done. He just can't get there to make a play. Maybe best he is a free agent since you can simply walk away and use the money on legit top 6 player

Dickinson - another night of being a passenger. Makes out with his facial gestures and exaggerated skating (like on an icing call he has no chance of negating) that he is trying hard but goes soft as hell along the boards and avoids contact if possible. Kind of player losing teams drag around hoping to get something out of him. Dickinson is not an NHL player and the team needs to dump him at the close of the season. Take anything (which you likely won't get), or buy him out or stick him in the minors. Defensive coverage was abysmal as usual.

Hunt - simply couldn't handle the Flames forwards. Has given the team good service but tonight's game showed the limits to his game.

Team should be looking at call ups from now till the end of the season except where players have chance to set some sort of record or achieve bonuses.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Instead of dumping all those expiring deals, if we just paid Seattle to draft Myers we would be in a hilariously better scenario. But noooooo. Let's chase OEL for another albatross contract.
Pay Seattle to take Myers
Keep beagle, Eriksson, Roussel
Keep Holtby
No Dickenson, no poolman

So much cap space in 2022-23

• Haha
Reactions: David71

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Miller staying top ten in scoring - maybe even hitting 100 points - will be a big deal for him going into the summer he’s eligible for an extension.

Doubt he sits or takes these next three games lightly.

I can't see any reason for him to re-sign with us this summer.

Want the Cup? Not here. (Look at that defence)
Want big money? Can't afford it. (Look at that defence)
Close to home? Not even remotely.
Loyalty to the organization? Nope (COVID, treatment of Tanev/Marky)

I also don't think he has some great friendships on the team that would entice him to stay. Short of his wife and kids loving Vancouver I don't see it happening.

Reactions: mossey3535 and bh53

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
If anyone disagrees that Boeser needs to go, I think you’re extremely wrong. This game was just one of many, against competent 5v5 teams, where he couldn’t skate to anything and was 2 steps behind. I wouldn’t even give him Garland’s contract — we simply need to trade him.

Miller and Myers should be priorities too. OEL is unmovable.

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
If anyone disagrees that Boeser needs to go, I think you’re extremely wrong. This game was just one of many, against competent 5v5 teams, where he couldn’t skate to anything and was 2 steps behind. I wouldn’t even give him Garland’s contract — we simply need to trade him.

I am 100% behind trading Boeser but to be fair to him, he has physical and skill deficiencies like almost every player except Mcmuffin. However, if this team was actually good those deficiencies wouldn’t be so noticeable. Like how Lucic and Gudbranson looked alright tonight and we know Boeser skates better than them at the very least. And gudbranson is a defenseman.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I hope the boys cheer hard for Gudbranson in the playoffs just continues to be a solid all around defender year in and year out

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
You know what? I'm proud of the effort our boys put in - after the firing of our cancerous GM.

That SOB put himself 'ahead' of his job, ahead of the team, and ahead of our future. He was willing to sacrifice our future to save himself...........

Let's not forget the Owner in the last 8 years of hell...

Never forget what he did to destroy our franchise - all for a few playoff bucks that never materialized.

His family should be ashamed.

Now, for those of you thinking 'it was all coaching', think deeper.

Okay. Some semblance of change is underway, but they saw the heart and soul guys lately.

It's the easiest test in the History of Tests:

Be better than Benning/

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
You know what? I'm proud of the effort our boys put in - after the firing of our cancerous GM.

That SOB put himself 'ahead' of his job, ahead of the team, and ahead of our future. He was willing to sacrifice our future to save himself...........

Let's not forget the Owner in the last 8 years of hell...

Never forget what he did to destroy our franchise - all for a few playoff bucks that never materialized.

His family should be ashamed.

Now, for those of you thinking 'it was all coaching', think deeper.

Okay. Some semblance of change is underway, but they saw the heart and soul guys lately.

It's the easiest test in the History of Tests:

Be better than Benning/

There's zero reason whatsoever Benning's family should be ashamed.

My goodness some of you have concocted some weird personal beliefs about this man. Hensucked at his job- move on don't drag his family in to it. Gross.

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA

I really wanted to cheer for him this season but my god this guy has been an absolute dumpster fire outside of a handful of games. What the actual f*** was he doing on the 5th goal? If we have to send a pick with him to offload him idc at this point, there's no positives to having him here.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
There's zero reason whatsoever Benning's family should be ashamed.

My goodness some of you have concocted some weird personal beliefs about this man. Hensucked at his job- move on don't drag his family in to it. Gross.
Read again..

Relax, and take a deep breath, and read again...

Reactions: geebaan

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Canucks looked a step behind this game..they can play much better. than this....At the tail end of most winning streaks comes the inevitable drop-off, and the body just doesn't have it..Its the ebb and flow of all NHL teams..For the Canucks, it came at an inopportune time.

The Flames played a methodical game, and took the Canucks out...Tying the game 2-2, it looked like the nux might make something out of it. They conceded a goal seconds later, and the Flames took care of business.

Disappointing, but throughout most of this season, the team delivered some entertaining hockey..

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Admit it.....anyone who predicted in early December that the Canucks would still be mathematically alive for a playoff spot with only three games left in the season, is overdue for a winning lottery ticket.

I mean the debate then, after the Sunday night massacre of coaches and management, was just how massive the tear-down was going to be. And to me, that's the saving grace of this season.

At least the guys are finally in place in upper management who will seriously address this mess....it's just a shame it took another lost season with guys like Demko, Hughes and Pettersson in the primes, for ownership to finally figure it out.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
I can't see any reason for him to re-sign with us this summer.

Want the Cup? Not here. (Look at that defence)
Want big money? Can't afford it. (Look at that defence)
Close to home? Not even remotely.
Loyalty to the organization? Nope (COVID, treatment of Tanev/Marky)

I also don't think he has some great friendships on the team that would entice him to stay. Short of his wife and kids loving Vancouver I don't see it happening.

Did his wife actually say this? Because this has a huge influence on his decision making. If his wife loves it here, I would say there's a very good chance he sign here, and maybe at a friendlier term like 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad