GDT: Flames @ Capitals - 10/3/2013 7 PM

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Which just makes whooping someone who didn't actually spend much time in DC even more idiotic IMO.

Things about Caps' fans that embarrass me as a Caps' fan (in no particular order):

1. Yelling 'Red' during the anthem
  2. Yelling 'O' during the anthem
  3. 'Whooping' any defenseman who has ever played more than a few games for the Caps and now plays for someone else
  4. 'Whooping' anyone at all frankly. I mean clearly Caps fans showed they knew a lot starting that wonderful tradition with Murphy
  5. The whole '1, 2, 3, it's all your fault' chant after the Caps score a goal.

I'm sure I'll think of some more as the season goes on...

When will I make the list??? :sarcasm:

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Not sure if anyone noticed, but Green played 31 minutes, Carlson 28.5 minutes, Alzner played 27.5, Erskine 19, and Carrick 17.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If people are willing to give Laich time to shake off the rust, Fehr needs to be given some time to see if he can adapt to playing C. Maybe he doesn't have what it takes to be a NHL-caliber C, but I think it's too early to make that call conclusively. I agree that his defensive play hasn't been good so far, but isn't that something Fehr can be taught or can be improved upon by additional practice? I think Fehr has the hockey IQ needed to be able to put the pieces together.
I'm the most vocal critic of Fehr's defensive play at center so far, but I am willing to give him a couple more games. My biggest point is that you don't trade your best 3C alternative (Laich) when your current 3C (Fehr) is a gigantic question mark.

i think this is the best time to try things. fehr was great in pre season and what we are seeing is that preseason isn't a good gauge at all. wouldn't you rather experiment in the first 10 games than the last 10?
He was great in the pre-season... at right wing.
What we saw from him at center was pretty much exactly what we're seeing now. He's thinking too much, which is causing confusion in the defensive zone. He's not used to making those reads and it's pulling Ward and Chimera out of position as they try to cover for him.

I can't remember the last time our 3rd shooter hasn't had to shoot.
The pre-season. I think all but one of those shootouts went to the 5th round or longer.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Can't have been many. He was hurt early.

It was a rhetorical question. Pointing out extreme ice time differences when you lose a blueliner early makes no sense. What were they supposed to give Erskine and Carrick 25 minutes or something since Hillen went down?

When you lose a guy your big guns get that ice time for the most part not your lesser guys.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Do you think that Neuvirth could take over the #1 starting job?

ummm-no.gif

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I'm the most vocal critic of Fehr's defensive play at center so far, but I am willing to give him a couple more games. My biggest point is that you don't trade your best 3C alternative (Laich) when your current 3C (Fehr) is a gigantic question mark.

I'm good giving the current lineup 9 games and then making the call for the rest of the season. I would like them to find a way to get Erat a lot more ice time though as soon as possible though. Right now he should be their number 1 none center PKer as well as on the 2nd PP unit in either the Backstrom or Grabovski roles.

At the 9 game mark they need to make a call on Wilson and Carrick. Wilson is not getting near enough ice time IMO to rationalize burning a year of his ELC. And Carrick, nice goal not withstanding, looks pretty darn overmatched in his own zone.

If Wilson is sent back to Plymouth that opens up a place on the right for Fehr, a spot in the middle for Laich, and a spot on a scoring line for Erat.

I believe this would be a better forward group than what we have seen so far:
Johansson-Backstrom-Ovechkin
Erat-Grabovski-Brouwer
Chimera-Laich-Fehr
Volpatti-Beagle-Ward

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
It was a rhetorical question. Pointing out extreme ice time differences when you lose a blueliner early makes no sense. What were they supposed to give Erskine and Carrick 25 minutes or something since Hillen went down?

When you lose a guy your big guns get that ice time for the most part not your lesser guys.

Also too, Green had close to six minutes of PP time.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Which just makes whooping someone who didn't actually spend much time in DC even more idiotic IMO.

Things about Caps' fans that embarrass me as a Caps' fan (in no particular order):

1. Yelling 'Red' during the anthem
  2. Yelling 'O' during the anthem
  3. 'Whooping' any defenseman who has ever played more than a few games for the Caps and now plays for someone else
  4. 'Whooping' anyone at all frankly. I mean clearly Caps fans showed they knew a lot starting that wonderful tradition with Murphy
  5. The whole '1, 2, 3, it's all your fault' chant after the Caps score a goal.

I'm sure I'll think of some more as the season goes on...
The "Who Cares" crowd response when the Arena Announcer gives the scoring for an opponents goal is another one. :shakehead But yep you captured a good amount of them.

Vladiator16*

Since you guys don't like all those things, do you have any good once in your mind?

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
It's funny, I see a lot of people complain that there's not enough organic stuff at Caps games, that it's all prompted by the video board. And yet every organic thing Caps fans do, with the possible exception of Goat, is equally denigrated. I don't know what people expect.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
I find some of the stuff kinda silly/tacky, but as long as it's not actively disruptive (e.g. the wave) or outright offensive/racist/sexist etc., I don't really have the right to judge anyone else's fan cred. And, more than anything, I recognize that fans in general are dumbasses (almost a prerequisite of being in fan mode, especially live) and so why should I feel anyone else's actions reflect on me at all?

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
The "Who Cares" crowd response when the Arena Announcer gives the scoring for an opponents goal is another one. :shakehead But yep you captured a good amount of them.

Yep I can't stand that also. And how about the cowbells? Hate that. Yes I know that was driven by the Walken SNL skit, which was mildly amusing, but it is still dumb. And you know what? The original 'unleash the fury' from Road Trip I actually liked. But when they had Tom Green record a Caps version it became dumb.

Sam and Goat I like.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Yep I can't stand that also. And how about the cowbells? Hate that. Yes I know that was driven by the Walken SNL skit, which was mildly amusing, but it is still dumb. And you know what? The original 'unleash the fury' from Road Trip I actually liked. But when they had Tom Green record a Caps version it became dumb.

Sam and Goat I like.

Way back in the day--long before the SNL skit--cowbells were part of the Caps games at Cap Centre. So that's something I enjoy, at least nostalgia-wise.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Way back in the day--long before the SNL skit--cowbells were part of the Caps games at Cap Centre. So that's something I enjoy, at least nostalgia-wise.

And the whooping? That's been going on for forever also...

I took my 8 year old daughter to her first Caps' game last night. She loved it but was annoyed by the cowbells.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
And the whooping? That's been going on for forever also...

I took my 8 year old daughter to her first Caps' game last night. She loved it but was annoyed by the cowbells.

The whooping has its place. But it's dumb to do it for every guy who ever wore a Caps sweater.

But the cowbell, that is part of my formative memory. What can I say?

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
The best crowd participatory chant that I experienced was in '88 during the SC playoffs game 7 against the Flyers and the Hextall, Hextall chant along with the white pom poms that had been distributed before the game being used as the visual prop along with the Hextall chant.

When I hear Caps fans trying to get on goalies in a similar fashion now after they've let in one or two goals I just:facepalm: Reminds me of the Winnipeg fans that seem to do this all the time now.

I thought the chants during recent Rangers/Caps playoff series have been okay and more directed at each fan base rather than the players, courtesy of BB's initial comments about MSG.

Unleash the Fury is now a hallmark for the Caps and that's good and the horn guy along with the Caps goal siren annoy other fan bases so those are keepers as well just for tha

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
The best crowd participatory chant that I experienced was in '88 during the SC playoffs game 7 against the Flyers and the Hextall, Hextall chant along with the white pom poms that had been distributed before the game being used as the visual prop along with the Hextall chant.

When I hear Caps fans trying to get on goalies in a similar fashion now after they've let in one or two goals I just:facepalm: Reminds me of the Winnipeg fans that seem to do this all the time now.

I thought the chants during recent Rangers/Caps playoff series have been okay and more directed at each fan base rather than the players, courtesy of BB's initial comments about MSG.

Unleash the Fury is now a hallmark for the Caps and that's good and the horn guy along with the Caps goal siren annoy other fan bases so those are keepers as well just for tha

Agreed on all counts. I really like the Unleash the Fury routine, especially since they got Tom Green to put on the Caps sweater and reshoot it.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
The whooping has its place. But it's dumb to do it for every guy who ever wore a Caps sweater.

What is it's place? Who should be whooped and why? What makes someone deserving of being whooped? And what does it say about whooping in general when the first guy Caps fans started whooping went on to win the cup 4 times and is in the HoF?

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
What is it's place? Who should be whooped and why? What makes someone deserving of being whooped? And what does it say about whooping in general when the first guy Caps fans started whooping went on to win the cup 4 times and is in the HoF?

As a sign of recognition, and perhaps grudging respect (same as with goalie taunts; you don't taunt a nobody)? Well, it can mean whatever anyone wants it to mean, if they think it's fun to do. :dunno:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
As a sign of recognition, and perhaps grudging respect (same as with goalie taunts; you don't taunt a nobody)? Well, it can mean whatever anyone wants it to mean, if they think it's fun to do. :dunno:

Pretty much this. Better than average, relatively long-time Caps who leave. Semin is deserving. Gonchar was deserving. I wouldn't whoop Perrault.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Yeah because that is why Murphy was originally whooped, to show respect. Give me a F'in break...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad