GDT: Flames @ Blue Jackets - 5PM MT - S-NET W

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Brodie does look like he's taken another step this year. If he ever finds his offensive game, he could turn out to be the number one defensemen the Flames have been looking for.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The highlights for me were Jiri's most awkward goal celebration of all time. Also, Kerr's "Bump and something" call.. Along with "hey, Stempniak is actually 22, not 23, there's 22, they're almost the same size".

These were all highlights for me. I also enjoyed Hudler's "dancing in a phonebook!"

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Brodie does look like he's taken another step this year. If he ever finds his offensive game, he could turn out to be the number one defensemen the Flames have been looking for.

I agree, even though he's going up against larger forwards he rarely looks to be in distress. He's always positionally sound and uses his smarts to be one step ahead of his opponent. I think Jbo taught him some tricks of the trade with his stick, I counted at least 2 goals he saved with his stick work this game. He was known for being an offensive dman as a prospect, but I'm so impressed with his defensive ability.

He also had some nice take aways as well. Then he protects the puck very well and usually has success at driving the play into the offensive zone whether it's making a smart pass or carrying the puck over the blueline with some impressive skating ability.

Your right, if he starts putting up points consistently at say Widemans level (and he has the tools to), I think he becomes a legit top pairing dman. My only criticism of him really is that his slapper is just average. He really needs to work at putting an accurate wrister on net through traffic. He also has above average vision and passing ability in all zones.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Again Calgary wasn't very impressive in the circle. They played a good game. I think we can just expect these types of games from them... It's a physical team, no quit... with youth...
Should be fun to follow Calgary all season.

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
Colborne wasn't bad, but he didn't do squat. He needs to play a more physical game out there otherwise callup Knight. I'm not to worried though, it was his first game but he really didn't do anything good or bad out there. He was really our only meh spot tonight.

I didnt get to really watch the game intently, but Colborne did lead the team in hits tonight.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
The most improved player tonight was Monahan by far. Last night he looked tentative and behind the play, today he was very confident and was very noticeable in a good way.

Colborne looked lost for the first 2 periods (he said he felt that way after the game) but he started to figure it out in the 3rd. I think some people were/are expecting to much from Colborne he has only had a couple practices with the team and this system is very different than TO's. I liked how physical he was and I think he will improve like Monahan has over time.

I really want to dislike MacDonald because I think he is the weakest goalie we have but he seems like such a great guy and does nothing but pump his teammates tires. I can see why Feaster and Hartley want him on the roster he is very positive and only wants to work hard and do what it takes for his team to win, he would make a very good goalie coach in the future imo.

Have to say Street has been very impressive, he may get knocked over, he may not be the most skilled, he may not even be amazing at faceoffs but he never gives up. He got rocked twice in Washington and both plays he had to take the hit to make the play that was awesome to see. Tonight he was great on the fore check and cycled the puck well. I think he may be forcing the Flames to let him stay on the team if he keeps this up.

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Yeah 2008 turned out to be a decent draft with Brodie and Bouma even with Nemisz and Wahl turned out to be busts

That shows the Flames drafting has more to do with luck than smart :p:

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
I think they keep Mono up if for no other reason than to room with Bart and keep his game at a high level. Those two kids could be extremely good for eachother, and I absolutely LOVE the chemistry they have!

Demetric

Jun 19, 2013
Under a Rock
Just finished watching the game (pvr'd) and boy was I impressed. Basically everyone had a decent to good game. just a couple of notes:

Sven, showed he CAN play in all 3 zones. I think he had a great game.

Sean, quietly playing a great game and improving all the time.

Russell and Galiardi, both improved on last games performances, and wow does Gali have some wheels!!!

As for Colborne you could definitely tell it was his first game with the team, nothing great but also nothing horrible either, still in the wait and see column.

These two ames have been total Team Games and I love it. Can't wait for the home opener tomorrow.

GO Flames Go

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
I was impressed to see O'Brien grab the puck immediately for Monahan's goal :handclap:. He definitely wasn't the classiest player in Colorado haha.

Galiardi had a sweet goal too, I hope he turns things around for you guys. He could end up being a fan favourite.

P.S. Thanks for Tanguay

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
I was impressed by Butler in the first two games. Hopefully last year was as low as he could go.

Butler's been pretty solid the last two for sure.

After these two games, I'm really optimistic for this year. We should probably make a thread to express our feelings. Something like an optimism thread ;)

May 27, 2012
Earth
I was impressed to see O'Brien grab the puck immediately for Monahan's goal :handclap:. He definitely wasn't the classiest player in Colorado haha.

Galiardi had a sweet goal too, I hope he turns things around for you guys. He could end up being a fan favourite.

P.S. Thanks for Tanguay

This guy is trying to be sneaky in his post. Go over the original post and you will see"P.S. Thanks for Tanguay" in white. :p:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad