Flames beat the Red Wings 4-1.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
No but Bernier has been less than impressive on a very defensive team while Dubynk has been very solid on a really ****** team.

Bernier gets alot of credit based on his draft position, in the last 2 years he has been mediocre.

I thought Bernier has been playing fine in the past two years. And I'm not solely looking on stats either.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think Duby is pretty underrrated by many Flames fans. He has played pretty well for a team that isn't so good defensively, while I am not sure if I would go as far to say that I think he is better than Bernier, he has definitely proven more than Bernier as of now.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I think Duby is pretty underrrated by many Flames fans. He has played pretty well for a team that isn't so good defensively, while I am not sure if I would go as far to say that I think he is better than Bernier, he has definitely proven more than Bernier as of now.

Bernier is only 2 years younger and as far as I am concerned doesn't look any better then what Dubynk did at that age.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Bernier is only 2 years younger and as far as I am concerned doesn't look any better then what Dubynk did at that age.

Im not saying he's a 'bad' goalie, I just wouldn't want him to be my teams goalie in the NHL when there's anything of significance on the line and the game is tight.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Im not saying he's a 'bad' goalie, I just wouldn't want him to be my teams goalie in the NHL when there's anything of significance on the line and the game is tight.

Again I disagree, I think most flames fans underrate him because he is an oiler and we **** hick them most games.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Dubnyk hasn't played more than 50 games either. I'd like to see him keep up that save percentage over 60-65 games before I think of him as anything more than mediocre.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
That's fair, he might not be able to steal games like Kipper has been able to do through out his career but I haven't seen him give up terrible goals consistently.

TBH I haven't physically watched an Oilers game where Dubnyk was in net where he didn't let in at least one very bad goal, I think I've watched 2/3's of this season and a very large chunk of last season. He doesn't let them in in bunches, but a BAD goal can be devastating to a teams momentum, especially one as young and fragile as the Oilers. I think the key to a number one goalie is to cut those bad goals out of your game entirely. Very rarely do you see Kiprusoff allow a goal where you can say 'He coulda had that'

Obviously I'm not including this season for Kipper lol.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Dubnyk has been playing quite well this year, actually.

On the other hand, if I were given the keys to a franchise and told to snag a goalie, I don't think he'd be near my top 20. Honestly, Edmonton's kind of stuck with their goalie situation right now. Khabi's old, not a fraction of the goalie he was years prior... And their goalie system is suspect at best (Not judging by HF's rankings, because if you're selected by Edmonton during their rebuild years, you're up about 1-1.5 points, if you haven't noticed).

I think most GMs and analysts will agree, when this team's ready to boom, Edmonton will be going out and finding their number 1 guy.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
I like Dubby's work ethic but I don't see him as a heavy workload starter that steals games. I see him much like a cloutier where he is a decent goalie and possibly a starter on a very strong team.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I like Dubby's work ethic but I don't see him as a heavy workload starter that steals games. I see him much like a cloutier where he is a decent goalie and possibly a starter on a very strong team.

Well, well, well. Look who decided to show up. Wasn't expecting you to come around to thread the Wings lost in. 4-1 to boot.

I'll guess youll have to start cheering for a real team eh? Hehe, I just had to rub it in. :)

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Well if he does, then he doesn't let anything else in, it would be pretty hard to have the numbers he does and give up bad goals consistently.

You really need to watch Duby consistently. I live in so-called "Oil Coutry" a couple of hours away from Edmonton, so I see A LOT of Oiler hockey and Dubnyk is nothing special.. He is solid for a majority of the time, but he definitely is known to let in a bad goal quite often.. Every multi goal game against him, chances are there was at least one goal he should have had

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't even know how you can be part Canucks and part Flames fan. It's one or the other IMO.
I would give him a break, I saw him explain it in another topic and he started as a Canucks fan and the Flames won him over. Can't fault him for still liking the team he grew up watching.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
You really need to watch Duby consistently. I live in so-called "Oil Coutry" a couple of hours away from Edmonton, so I see A LOT of Oiler hockey and Dubnyk is nothing special.. He is solid for a majority of the time, but he definitely is known to let in a bad goal quite often.. Every multi goal game against him, chances are there was at least one goal he should have had

I watch about 20 oiler games a year and alot of the "bad" goals are caused from an oiler turn over or a poor read. He plays on maybe one of the worst defensive teams if he was our start no one would call him a bad starter no one would call him a star either but he is definitely a solid nhl starter.

Aug 3, 2010
I would give him a break, I saw him explain it in another topic and he started as a Canucks fan and the Flames won him over. Can't fault him for still liking the team he grew up watching.

That's all right, and I was just making a little joke.

Slightly more off topic, but one of my co-workers is a Canadiens / Bruins fan. :shakehead:facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad