GDT: Flames at Whales: HDIC Feb. 18 2017 at 8pm MT on CBC

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Most pathetic part of this game is no Dougie in the last four minutes... I mean what's the point? Why bother getting a guy like him if you won't play him even in situations like those?

I was wondering about that since nothing was working for Brodie tonight and he continues to get the ice time

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Friedman mentioned Treliving was one of the more active GM's when it comes to the deadline, in terms of being buyers.

This is what happens when you have a lame duck GM. Treliving isn't likely to do something horribly crippling but this is not a team that should be straight up buying. Flames need new ownership.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Apart from that 1 horror shift in the 3rd, Bartkowski and Wideman weren't too bad.
Elliott kept us in there with some huge saves after the blunder on the 1st goal, would like to see him against Nashville, but if "win and you're in" is still the mantra I guess he won't be.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Elliott screwed up on the first goal. There is no excuse for it.

That said, he should start the next game. Johnson has been hot garbage for awhile now.

Flamester

Aug 9, 2011
calgary
johnny looked horrible out there tonight. johnny hockey is more like johnny turnover now. Sad to see such talent go to crap.

Flamester

Aug 9, 2011
calgary
Friedman mentioned Treliving was one of the more active GM's when it comes to the deadline, in terms of being buyers.

This is what happens when you have a lame duck GM. Treliving isn't likely to do something horribly crippling but this is not a team that should be straight up buying. Flames need new ownership.

we need a new coach and a new GM. Gulutzan is hot dog **** and treeliving is a dumba**. Grossman to Bartowski wtf is wrong with him

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Well that was a funny game. Flames had better possession, but a lot of that was due to the Canucks not even trying to attack unless the Flames literally gave them an odd-man rush (which they did, frequently). The Canucks were the way better team defensively, and neither team had any kind of finish at all. Hard to say who deserved the win more, but we sure as hell didn't deserve to lose on that flukey goal.

It was funny, because it was like 8 minutes in and the Canucks didn't have a shot yet, I tell the Canucks fan beside me that the first one is going in and he's like "yeah, from centre." Couple minutes later... at that moment, I wasn't even mad. That changed later on.

OT goal was stupid. The puck popped up in the air and Frolik pinched in a little and I was just like "noooooo." Could see that **** coming a mile away. :(

I thought Bart looked just fine until that one shift where he and Wideman served up two grade-A chances out of nothing.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I wouldn't read much into that at all, Calc. Treliving is an active GM at all times of the year. He just wants to know where everyone is at. He's also stated he's giving up top prospects, and unless a piece like Dougie comes along I can't see him doing it either.

TkachuksMouthguard

Mar 17, 2007
London, UK
What a freaking intense ending to the 3rd, jumped through the roof when Gio's shot went in.

This whole season has been Gulutzan growing pains, but I wouldnt blame Treveling for that. Sure he made the hiring but the team and Glen need to find their groove. I think its easy to focus on the negative when they overshadow the positive but the development of Backs could be due to the new coach.

Im not sold on Gulutzan but Treveling is a stone cold calculating GM and I absolutely think they should give him at least another 3 years.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
How is anyone complaining about Gulutzan still. Since November 15th the Flames are 9th in points and wins. 6th in goals against, 3rd in PP%, 6th in PK% and 5th in shots against.

The only area this team is lacking since the one month mark of the season is goals for,where we sit 19th.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
How is anyone complaining about Gulutzan still. Since November 15th the Flames are 9th in points and wins. 6th in goals against, 3rd in PP%, 6th in PK% and 5th in shots against.

The only area this team is lacking since the one month mark of the season is goals for,where we sit 19th.

Because Gulutzan hasn't scored a single goal this season. Obviously he sucks!

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
johnny looked horrible out there tonight. johnny hockey is more like johnny turnover now. Sad to see such talent go to crap.

No, he really didn't. He was easily one of our most dangerous forwards last night and was creating a lot of chances. I thought he looked every bit as good as Backlund and Tkachuk. I also loved what I saw from Ferland.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
If the 'we are buying' rumours are true then I think we could see Kulak traded.

Like Kulak for Kulikov. I really don't see anyone else with value/upside the Flames have to expose. He's been pretty much a goner all year in my books. Might as well get something for him.

Then re-sign Kulikov to a 2 year 5.5 million and have him hold down the fort until Hickey, Kylington, Andersson and whoever else are ready.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
That game was frustrating.
Sucks that it ended that way; but I'm happy we got the point (much needed). This roadtrip is going to make or break the season.

Brouwer had a great game, Steeger was also flying. Monahan is super snake bitten, was set up 4-5 times in high danger zones. Johnny was give or take. I either really liked what he was doing, or he was doing nothing.

4th line looked a lot better out there. I'd really keep Freddie in the lineup, the guy's a physical sparkplug that also plays centre (being able to hold down his own end). I liked the D pairings, when Engelland gets to play passenger on a combination he excels, when he's playing lead, the team gets hammered. Not saying I want him permanently on a pairing with Brodie, but he looks better than Wideman there. Bartkowski had a decent first NHL game.

I hope Treliving brings in some help, to be honest.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
That game was frustrating.
Sucks that it ended that way; but I'm happy we got the point (much needed). This roadtrip is going to make or break the season.

Brouwer had a great game, Steeger was also flying. Monahan is super snake bitten, was set up 4-5 times in high danger zones. Johnny was give or take. I either really liked what he was doing, or he was doing nothing.

4th line looked a lot better out there. I'd really keep Freddie in the lineup, the guy's a physical sparkplug that also plays centre (being able to hold down his own end). I liked the D pairings, when Engelland gets to play passenger on a combination he excels, when he's playing lead, the team gets hammered. Not saying I want him permanently on a pairing with Brodie, but he looks better than Wideman there. Bartkowski had a decent first NHL game.

I hope Treliving brings in some help, to be honest.

This reminds me of when Iggy was sitting on 499 goals.
Monahan was hot before he reached 99 goals, it was something like 9 goals in ~16 games, then as soon as he reached 99 he hasn't been able to buy a goal.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta

And more importantly, ever since we've recovered from that first terrible month, we've been in a playoff position with the exception of the few times we've fallen out for a couple days.

We've had "better" coaches that have done a lot worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad