Pre-Game Talk: Flames at Sens 5:00 PM EST March 30

Status
Not open for further replies.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Coming off a huge win against elite competition, playing in the late afternoon against a hard working team that is well back in the standings. Some fans seeing a glimmer of hope again, not matter how long the odds are. These types of games have been trouble for our team all season long.

I am really hoping for another big win. However, if we lose it would really be in keeping with how things have been all season long.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Afternoonish must win against a team below us in the standings? Coming off a big win? Have some momentum? Guys back from injury? Opportunity to make things interesting down the stretch?

Yeah, I don't like our chances. ;)

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
we need to play the young guys more at the start of the game since they are the only ones who seem to have a jump on back to back games

Berserker*

Seeing as we aren't making the playoffs, do we send someone after McGrattan for what he did to Sdao in preseason?

Although, I guess we don't have much in the way of players to send. Neil could proably hold his own, but he would lose the fight. Kassian isn't that great of a fighter so he would likely lose and doesn't really do any old school enforcing.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Seeing as we aren't making the playoffs, do we send someone after McGrattan for what he did to Sdao in preseason?

Although, I guess we don't have much in the way of players to send. Neil could proably hold his own, but he would lose the fight. Kassian isn't that great of a fighter so he would likely lose and doesn't really do any old school enforcing.

Absolutely not. This is a winnable game and the team should be focused on getting the W, not "sending a message."

LynxBud

Nov 27, 2013
Gloucester
Until it's official that the Sens are out of the playoffs, I'll be holding onto this last shred of hope. Surprises me a little.

Tomorrow's a winnable game and I hope to see the team show up for an afternoon outing. Just win.

GreatStateofHockey

Oct 2, 2011
It's a massive long-shot, but we're not officially out just yet. Can't let short-sighted grudges get in the way of the big picture.

Agreed, the outlook changes every day. In theory, we could be two points out of the playoffs come Tuesday morning. The teams ahead of us have relatively hard schedules, whereas we have 3 of 9 games against current playoff teams (Rangers,Habs,Pens) , 3 games against teams in a similar position to us , albeit ahead (Devils,Canes,Leafs) and then 3 against non playoff teams (Flames, Islanders 2x). We are a very streaky team, and with a good next 3 days, we could see ourselves actually become involved in the WC chase.

Berserker*

It's a massive long-shot, but we're not officially out just yet. Can't let short-sighted grudges get in the way of the big picture.

Yes it is a long shot and this team has done nothing this season to indicate that they can put a big enough win streak together to make it into the playoffs. Even if by chance we were to make it, Ryan is done for the season and we would be facing a team like Boston in the playoffs. There might be some small victory in actually making it, but if we do, we will get embarrassed.

The whole saying that "anything can happen once you make it into the playoffs" isn't entirely accurate and is often misinterpreted. There are certain teams that are simply built for playoff hockey and others are not. Often times the ones that aren't , tend to be built for the regular season so they are ranked fairly high and then lose early in the playoffs. The Senators used to be a perfect example of this. As for squeaking into the playoffs and surprising teams, that only really happens if your team is built for playoff hockey. There is a reason why the Kings and the Ducks came into the playoffs as 8th seeds and ended up winning the Stanley Cup. Those were both "playoff teams" they were big, physical, hard to play against, and had elite goaltending and defense. Their success wasn't simply due to the randomness of success in the playoffs, they were built to win. The Sens don't compare well to either team and aren't really built for playoff hockey. Certainly they have a few pieces but as a whole this isn't a "playoff" style team. ur best bet would be to make the 8th seed and even then we would be stuck playing the Bruins or Penguins. We simply don't have what it takes to upset them. It is a long shot for us to even make a series with them competitive.

I guess I just don't see the point of hoping to win enough games to get into the playoffs when the reality of this situation seems inevitable. We are either disappointed now or disappointed later.

GreatStateofHockey

Oct 2, 2011
Yes it is a long shot and this team has done nothing this season to indicate that they can put a big enough win streak together to make it into the playoffs. Even if by chance we were to make it, Ryan is done for the season and we would be facing a team like Boston in the playoffs. There might be some small victory in actually making it, but if we do, we will get embarrassed.

The whole saying that "anything can happen once you make it into the playoffs" isn't entirely accurate and is often misinterpreted. There are certain teams that are simply built for playoff hockey and others are not. Often times the ones that aren't , tend to be built for the regular season so they are ranked fairly high and then lose early in the playoffs. The Senators used to be a perfect example of this. As for squeaking into the playoffs and surprising teams, that only really happens if your team is built for playoff hockey. There is a reason why the Kings and the Ducks came into the playoffs as 8th seeds and ended up winning the Stanley Cup. Those were both "playoff teams" they were big, physical, hard to play against, and had elite goaltending and defense. Their success wasn't simply due to the randomness of success in the playoffs, they were built to win. The Sens don't compare well to either team and aren't really built for playoff hockey. Certainly they have a few pieces but as a whole this isn't a "playoff" style team. ur best bet would be to make the 8th seed and even then we would be stuck playing the Bruins or Penguins. We simply don't have what it takes to upset them. It is a long shot for us to even make a series with them competitive.

I guess I just don't see the point of hoping to win enough games to get into the playoffs when the reality of this situation seems inevitable. We are either disappointed now or disappointed later.

Winning is winning. I'd much rather end the season 9-0 rather than 0-9, playoffs or not. Would be fun to play spoiler, and we would also be a much improved team heading into next season.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

We're not likely to make a long run in the playoffs, true. But in the words of the inimitable Herm Edward: you play to win the game.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Hey the Leafs are 6 points ahead but with two games in hand. If we go on a mini win streak and pass them in the standings that's almost as good as making the playoffs haha.

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
In a year where we don't have our 1st rounder why wouldn't you cheer for the team to make it to the playoffs? Who cares if the team would end up getting waxed in 4 straight by the bruins. That adds 4 games of playoff experience to the experienced players+ the valuable experience for the first timers. You can never count out how much playoff experience matters in the long run. Just look how much better Pittsburgh looked after getting beat by us once they learned what playoff hockey was all about.

The ducks were not an 8th seed when they won the cup. They were the favourites to win the cup once they got Pronger and it showed at the end. Also seeding can be misleading since sometimes a team is better than the seed they finish in. The kings will finish 3rd in the Pacific yet the ducks/sharks want no part of them in the 1st round. The kings were also not a true number 8 seed in talent the year they won the cup. They were an example of a team that underachieved most of the season but got hot at the right time. Same thing happened with the flyers when they went on that magic run in 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad