Post-Game Talk: Flames at Rangers 12/15/2013

nikonsniper*

Interesting stat--Chris Kreider is a +9. All of our other players are - players except for Hagelin who is a 0.

Kreider was hiding out in Connecticut while the rest of the team was having their dicks kicked in out west.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yeah the reffing was pretty terrible and the linesmen kept ****ing with the puck drop all night, it was annoying as all hell

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Girardi misplayed the first goal. Stralman was soft on the second goal. Even on the third goal Stralman was part of the play. He fails to get the puck out. Boyle loses the faceoff clean and Girardi is in no mans land on the first goal. That's not the goaltender's fault. Backlund had all day to tip that puck.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Yeah the reffing was pretty terrible and the linesmen kept ****ing with the puck drop all night, it was annoying as all hell

I'll never understand why they pump fake, then toss someone for biting. Just drop the puck.

Bardof425*

I think last night kind of sums up this season for me. I can't say the effort level changed a whole lot, just some lucky bounces (like Kreider's rebound goal) that broke our way instead of against us. It seems to me like we've been on the wrong end more times than not so it's nice to have a change of fortune once and a while.

Seeing McIlrath fight was nice, but the narrative, I think is overblown. He got beaten pretty badly and is only a spark because of the victory. If the game goes the other way, it's just a kid getting his licks (literally) at the pro level.

Not true. He didn't win the fight but that is ridiculous. Was he knocked down and I missed it? Did he turtle because he was hurt and I missed it? You obviously haven't seen fights where one guy gets beat pretty badly.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I'll never understand why they pump fake, then toss someone for biting. Just drop the puck.

If I were to be generous I would assume that it's because they've noticed a guy is cheating a lot on draws so they're faking him to see the cheat and then tossing him, but it's overall so stupid that it just frustrates everyone. Everyone cheats on the draws anyways.

Girardi misplayed the first goal. Stralman was soft on the second goal. Even on the third goal Stralman was part of the play. He fails to get the puck out. Boyle loses the faceoff clean and Girardi is in no mans land on the first goal. That's not the goaltender's fault. Backlund had all day to tip that puck.

I thought Stralman got hooked on the 3rd goal and that should have been a penalty, but you gotta play through it and either force them to call the penalty or make the play yourself. He kind of just gave up and assumed Zucarello would get the puck, and Zucc wasn't expecting that and wasn't in good position to do anything. Then Falk went after the guy with the puck behind the net and the forwards didn't cover...

Bardof425*

If I were to be generous I would assume that it's because they've noticed a guy is cheating a lot on draws so they're faking him to see the cheat and then tossing him, but it's overall so stupid that it just frustrates everyone. Everyone cheats on the draws anyways.

I thought Stralman got hooked on the 3rd goal and that should have been a penalty, but you gotta play through it and either force them to call the penalty or make the play yourself. He kind of just gave up and assumed Zucarello would get the puck, and Zucc wasn't expecting that and wasn't in good position to do anything. Then Falk went after the guy with the puck behind the net and the forwards didn't cover...

I don't blame Falk for going behind the net, but I'm not happy with his play. I would rather see McI get the minutes and see what he can do when he's comfortable. Stralman has been a huge disappointment the last 20 games. I thought he'd be better.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I don't blame Falk for going behind the net, but I'm not happy with his play. I would rather see McI get the minutes and see what he can do when he's comfortable. Stralman has been a huge disappointment the last 20 games. I thought he'd be better.

Yeah what Falk did wasn't exactly bad but he's gotta do a better job of trying to stop that pass and not just trying to hit the guy. The forwards covering the front of the net were the ones who really messed up there

Stralman has been fine I thought until recently when his play has gone downhilll with the rest of the team

nikonsniper*

I thought Stralman got hooked on the 3rd goal and that should have been a penalty, but you gotta play through it and either force them to call the penalty or make the play yourself.

I thought the same. He was being held up from getting to the puck, but refs will be refs.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Letang is on IR so he isn't playing Wednesday. Cammalieri hits McIlrath and the other guy gets the penalty. O'Brien smacks D. Moore in the head. No penalty.

That was a vicious chop, what were they looking at?

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Not true. He didn't win the fight but that is ridiculous. Was he knocked down and I missed it? Did he turtle because he was hurt and I missed it? You obviously haven't seen fights where one guy gets beat pretty badly.

I was going to say, Dylan did infinitely better than I ever would have thought against McGratton. McGratton is an absolute bear and a great, tough fighter. Loved the show of respect at the end, wonder what McGratton said at the end to get a chuckle out of Dylan.

Vidic15*

I was going to say, Dylan did infinitely better than I ever would have thought against McGratton. McGratton is an absolute bear and a great, tough fighter. Loved the show of respect at the end, wonder what McGratton said at the end to get a chuckle out of Dylan.

"Good job, kid"

McIlrath told reporters in the post game.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I missed the shootout because I was watching the Psych Musical (favorite TV show).

But, in response to all of the Henrik criticism's, and he is deserving of it this year, people need to understand he is allowed to have an "off year." He hasn't had one yet, and for a goaltender (especially) who has played eight years, that is unbelievable.

As Joe said at the start of the game, Lundqvist has been shaky recently, and the team needs to step up and bail him out, because he has bailed them out so much over the last eight years. And last night, I'm glad the Rangers were able to win a game where Lundqvist was a passenger rather than the difference maker. They bailed him out, which is great (although I don't think any of the goals he let up last night were bad, but he didn't come up with that OMG save either). Hopefully this win gets the monkey off his back.

He was terrible in October. A rock in November. And bad thus far in December. Maybe a win will give him some confidence.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Like I said in the GDT, I like the mobility that Stralman can bring to a pairing with McDonagh, but I don't think he has the chops defensively to play those minutes consistently. Stralman has a tendency to hold onto the puck too long, and then fling it into the skates of his partner, or up the boards to the opposing team. It's the same kind of stuff I saw from Rozsival while he was here.

Nice to put one in the win column, but the team barely squeaked out a victory against a lousy team who was playing back-to-back games after flying halfway across the continent on Friday. Hard to be amped up about it.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Like I said in the GDT, I like the mobility that Stralman can bring to a pairing with McDonagh, but I don't think he has the chops defensively to play those minutes consistently.
I agree. Let Girardi take those tough minutes and take the fans' heat for it.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Like I said in the GDT, I like the mobility that Stralman can bring to a pairing with McDonagh, but I don't think he has the chops defensively to play those minutes consistently. Stralman has a tendency to hold onto the puck too long, and then fling it into the skates of his partner, or up the boards to the opposing team. It's the same kind of stuff I saw from Rozsival while he was here.

Nice to put one in the win column, but the team barely squeaked out a victory against a lousy team who was playing back-to-back games after flying halfway across the continent on Friday. Hard to be amped up about it.

On the other hand, the Rangers have been a lousy team lately and it takes beating other lousy teams to maybe get back on track to being a pretty good team. I mean seriously Calgary and the Rangers had the same number of points going into that game.

I'm just baffled that this team seemed to be putting things together, though I still wasn't totally happy with their defensive play, but then took a nose dive back to the same kind of terrible play they started the season with.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess

Yeah he hung in there with arguably the best fighter/toughest guy in the league. If that's being "beaten badly" that was the first fight that dude ever watched. He didn't win it that's for sure but that was no azz kicking either. It was a good job as evidenced by McI getting the hat.

Ranger fans are just like Jets fans, if they find a bag of 20's they're pissing and moaning it's not a bag of 50's.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
It's a win, so most here aren't going to say much about the officiating, which was abysmal.

The Flames third goal was a combination of a blatantly missed cross-check and Lundqvist crapping the bed.

Then, McIlrath gets called for a cross-check that he couldn't avoid.

It really shouldn't have been that hard, but I guess when you give up a power play goal on a call that seemed just to be made up, and then go into your typical crap play, you've got to fight back from a 2 goal hole.

Also, gotta love that great Garden ice causing Krieder to miss a potential game winner late in OT.

Hank was downright garbage in the shootout.

If Hank was garbage in shootout, one can only imagine your description of the other guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad