GDT: Flames at Oilers, October 4 2017, 8:00 MT, Sportsnet

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I played first line apologist all last year, particularly for Gaudreau.

I don't want to do that this year.

I wisht SM and JG had a great game 1. But instead we got shut out by our #1 rival. And here we are with "it's only one game" mantra.

All I know is that I'm not going to endlessly defend the first line. Points are important off the hop, not just two-thirds through the season when we happen upon teams on mid-season skids due to disinterest. That's what the Blue Jays did this year and all it did was offer false hope and padded stats that didn't reflect the abysmal season.

"Just one game," true; I wish we didn't have to dig our heels in already, keep a stiff upper lip after getting shut out in game 1.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Also, not getting a PP is indicative that you didn't pressure the other team nearly enough. That you didn't create nearly enough chances.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I played first line apologist all last year, particularly for Gaudreau.

I don't want to do that this year.

I wisht SM and JG had a great game 1. But instead we got shut out by our #1 rival. And here we are with "it's only one game" mantra.

All I know is that I'm not going to endlessly defend the first line. Points are important off the hop, not just two-thirds through the season when we happen upon teams on mid-season skids due to disinterest. That's what the Blue Jays did this year and all it did was offer false hope and padded stats that didn't reflect the abysmal season.

"Just one game," true; I wish we didn't have to dig our heels in already, keep a stiff upper lip after getting shut out in game 1.

Gaudreau + Monahan + Randy Jackson just isn't going to work. I don't know why we keep forcing it.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Also, not getting a PP is indicative that you didn't pressure the other team nearly enough. That you didn't create nearly enough chances.
I found that glaringly obvious as well. They gave us ZERO space with the puck while we hung back and let them set up every time. Need to play more aggressively.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Its disgusting how timid the Flames are.

Tkachuk is IMO wasted on a defensive line, put him together with Bennett and Gaudreau. If these 3 cant generate offense together, the season is a throwaway anyway.

Then you have Jagr Monahan and Ferland, heavy cycle line with passer and shooter together + ferland to work the boards. A bit slow, but hell the whole team is slow.

Janko with backlund and frolik

Versteeg with two of stajan/ hathaway/lazar/glass

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Gaudreau + Monahan + Randy Jackson just isn't going to work. I don't know why we keep forcing it.

I agree.

I'll also say that to me coach G. has to be on some sort of short leash with the top line. As much as a rollercoaster it was with Hartley, at least he gave that line the green light and we the fans witnessed a lot of competitive, fun hockey.

Granted, and to your point, we had an exceptional third person on that line in Hudler.

Anyway, again, I'm not going to go too far with this, but my apologizing will be non-existent if we're still trying to find offense in a month.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West

Tkachuk is IMO wasted on a defensive line, put him together with Bennett and Gaudreau. If these 3 cant generate offense together, the season is a throwaway anyway.

Then you have Jagr Monahan and Ferland, heavy cycle line with passer and shooter together + ferland to work the boards. A bit slow, but hell the whole team is slow.

Janko with backlund and frolik

Versteeg with two of stajan/ hathaway/lazar/glass

I'd watch that.

I know Monahan has huge fan support here, and I quite like him myself. But he had an abysmal start last year as well and just doesn't come across as fired up enough to be the first liner sometimes. I'll probably catch hell for that, but I just don't want us to be 10 games in and stumbling around still. I mean Edmonton controlled the play and dominated for the majority of the game last night and our first line had one 30 second burst of something.

Bennett oozes fire and jam. Not sure if Tkachuck could hang with his speed, but he was a bright spot last year.

I think Gaudreau needs some more help to shine.

Reactions: lightstorm

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
I doubt we will see anything change with GG at the helm until things really get off the rails.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Versteeg - Bennett - Jagr

will be your top 9 and Brodie will be playing on the wrong side for the foreseeable future.

Hoping for anything else is foolish which is too bad because I agree that Bennett would probably take Gaudreau and Monahan to the next level.

I don't understand why this team has such a hard-on with Bennett playing center. We have too many centers and Bennett is not breaking out as some superstar center that can carry a line. Move him and put Jankowski in his place. God it fixes your biggest hole without losing any assets and for some reason the REFUSE to try it. Other teams have no issue with this but the Flames just won't budge.

What do they have to lose? It's not like they're forced to keep him there. Just try it.

Reactions: Cyrano and Sk8M8

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
wait thats way to much skill to play the 3rd line
Versteeg/Bennett/Brouwer remains the 3rd line and Jagr plays with Monahan/Gaudreau...Ferland drops to 4th line..

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
^^ I think its the smartest guy in the room syndrome. Everyone and their dog want to see them try Bennett on the first line, but multiple Cup winner and acclaimed coach Gulutzan knows better.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
The team is to slow up front. I am beating a dead horse here but Matt Stajan and Troy Brouwer specifically hurt this team as they simply can't keep up and provide next to nothing offensively and are caught chasing the entire game. I truly believe we are better off without them in the lineup. Tanner Glass played his role last night, but we saw evidence as to why he is a liability in terms of on ice results. He is not and should not be an everyday player. He simply doesn't have the ability to adequately play in the NHL. When you are getting absolutely dominated in possession by the likes of Khaira, Kassian and Letestu you are in trouble.

The top line DESPERATELY needs a player who can play with some pace and intensity (in theory that is why Ferland is a good fit but is he talented enough?, and his inconsistency is troubling). Bennett needs to be given the opportunity to be that guy in my opinion. I was a proponent of keeping him at center but at some point both Bennett and Jankowski need to be trusted with an expanded role for the betterment of the lineup.

Best possible lineup is in my opinion ;

Gaudreau - Monahan - Bennett
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Versteeg - Jankowski - Jagr
Ferland - Lazar - Hathaway

Extra's - Glass, Stajan, Brouwer

That won't happen. We know that much, but in my opinion that is how you optimize the talent on this team.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Stajan was really good last night, too. He always looks like the best player on the fourth line, covering for his linemates often as required and saving plays after his linemates have messed up.

Reactions: Cyrano and Sk8M8

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
@HighLifeMan Stajan's role is to play solid defensively and kill penalties, he does that as well as anyone not named Backlund

Yeah, I can agree with that. I just feel as if he is starting to lose his legs, and this team lack of speed up front is a significant issue for me.

I can also admit that I definitely tend to gravitate towards a younger roster and let that cloud my evaluations at times. I am a big fan of Lazar and would like him in the lineup fulltime, but I understand that I am in the minority with that opinion.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I think he is by far our best '4th line' player.

He is just so "vanilla".
I don't think he is necessarily a liability, I just feel Lazar can provide more speed, energy and physicality in a fourth line capacity (which is what this roster lacks)

Stajan is a good guy to keep around though due to his versatility.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

I am not sure why you are moving Monahan off that line, why not Tkachuk-Monahan-Gaudreau. If we are looking for offense lets put the best guys together.

I do think we need to take Tkachuk off the Backlund/Frolik line to either add more offense to Bennett's line or the top line.

I know Monahan has huge fan support here, and I quite like him myself. But he had an abysmal start last year as well and just doesn't come across as fired up enough to be the first liner sometimes. I'll probably catch hell for that, but I just don't want us to be 10 games in and stumbling around still. I mean Edmonton controlled the play and dominated for the majority of the game last night and our first line had one 30 second burst of something.

I guess I would wonder why Monahan was singled out when Gaudreau and Ferland as bad or worse?

Also not sure what fired up has to do with a 1st liner. I will take a non-fired up skilled guy over a pumped up plug.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Enough of Monahan benefiting from Gaudreau. I think he can carry a line on his own instead of being a passenger half the time

Give Bennett a chance

Gaudreau-Bennett- Ferland
Versteeg- Monahan-Jagr

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Why is Brodie playing on the wrong side even though its clear he ****ing sucks on that side?

These are the questions we need to answer.

:)

I dont know if the reason is because he is on the wrong side. But I know Brodie is probably the most overrated Flames.
He plays well 50% of the time. The other time, he makes Bart looks like a competent dman.
Something is missing, maybe motivation

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Brodie's personal situation must be taking a huge toll on him, quite obvious he cannot focus on hockey. Plus he's not being carried by Gio anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad