GDT: Flames at Devils: April 7, 2014

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Wow! What a game! About 15-20 Flames jerseys I saw in New Jersey and I heard a lot of cheers when Gio slapped it in! Go Flames Go!!!

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Not too long ago berra was considered the better tender...

Juss sayin

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

Not anymore.

JulianHopper*

Flames Shutout Devils 1-0

Another big game by Karri Ramo, stopping 31 shots for his 2nd shutout of the season and 16th win. Good for first star of the game. Looked a lot like Miikka Kiprusoff tonight, scrambling to cover up loose pucks.

Brian McGrattan with his best game of the season. Was even out on the ice in the final minute with the Devil's net empty. Played over 10 minutes tonight, with Kenny Agostino and centered by TJ Galiardi and Lance Bouma.

I thought the Flames played quite aggressively all game, getting the puck out and still
managed to get 22 shots on net. There was a couple mistakes but they didn't get scored on so that's all that matters.

I really liked how coach Bob Hartley changed up the lines tonight and used Bouma on the second line as well. It shows that Brian McGrattan and Lance Bouma are good players.

Flames with 13 blocked shots in this game.

The Flames can really improve the fourth line and also the third to get better quicker because they have a really good core right now.

Mark Giordano, Mike Cammalleri, Jiri Hudler and Curtis Glencross were the difference in the game tonight. Then they still have TJ Brodie, Sean Monahan and Joe Colborne. Plus Mikael Backlund and Matt Stajan.

I don't see how the Flames let Mike Cammalleri walk, give him the 4 year $32M deal. The rebuild goes back a year at least if they don't. I don't believe he's just playing for his next contract either, Mike Cammalleri is just that good.

Big minutes again by the Flames top 4 D, Mark Giordano leading with 28:21 and the game winning goal. I thought Mark Cundari looked allright. He should be in the Flames bottom 6 next year for sure.

Kenny Agostino and Bryce Van Brabant look pretty close to being NHL ready. If they go to the Heat, they both won't be down there long I don't think.

Flames are going to be a good team next season.

Flames go 3-2 on this roadtrip. They were the better team every night even though Tampa Bay is the only playoff team who they beat. They were a little off against the Leafs but played really well on this 5 game roadtrip.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Big minutes again by the Flames top 4 D, Mark Giordano leading with 28:21 and the game winning goal. I thought Mark Cundari looked allright. He should be in the Flames bottom 6 next year for sure.

Do you mean in the AHL, or are you thinking that Cundari is a forward or will be converted to one?

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013

As much as it pains me to say, I actually do believe Burke when he said he's gonna try to negotiate an extension. Why? Because the only thing Butler seems to do well is stand in front of shots and he isn't as glassy as Wideman.

I hope I'm wrong, though.

JulianHopper*

Why? You just can't give him the spot, he has to earn it.

I think he's better than Christopher Breen and Chad Billins. Way more agile than those guys.

Dennis Wideman will probably get traded and Chris Butler, who knows if they'll re-sign him. I think Butler is a good depth guy but that's the new GMs or Burke's call.

Trae

Calgary
Id like to see a defensive core without Butler and Wideman next season, to make room for Wotherspoon, Cundari, or an Ekblad :sarcasm: But really, anybody who steps up, even a Breen, Sieloff, Ramage

Wideman is expendable with the production Gio, Russell, and Brodie are capable of producing IMO, and I'm not even a Butler hater, but I think the Smid acquisition pushes him out of the picture.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I have to say, I really liked Cundari and van Brabant's games tonight. BvB probably won't be an impact guy at any point, but as a fourth liner I'm totally on board.

Cundari is just a fun guy to watch, and he seems hard to play against. Burke wants a team which is exciting and hard to play against, and I feel like Cundari hits both of those.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I think he's better than Christopher Breen and Chad Billins. Way more agile than those guys.

Dennis Wideman will probably get traded and Chris Butler, who knows if they'll re-sign him. I think Butler is a good depth guy but that's the new GMs or Burke's call.

Well he has to prove it. Because you thinking he is better doesn't mean he will be the 6th dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad