Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
VXx88D1.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

TkachuksMouthguard

Mar 17, 2007
London, UK
Big turning point for this team! This is the confidence they can build on and that build up is showing.

Key turning point moment for me was the few zone entries Money had. He was confident with the puck, took it to the zone and immediately slowed down rather than to make a scrambling dump. If the team is looking to go far this season, Money has to be that overall leader for the offence. Not points wise necessariy but overall play and that was clear tonight. Some amazing defensive takeaways from him tonight also.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Over Monahan, Bennett or Backlund? Unless they move him to wing he's staying on the 4th line.

I'd try it. Granted, that would also really hurt the 4th line, and I'm not sure how well Bouma is at C. I'd just really like to see Stajan get more minutes without taking away from the top 9.

Last edited:

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I'd try it. Granted, that would also really hurt the 4th line, and I'm not sure how well Bouma is at C. I'd just really like to see Stajan get more minutes without taking away from the top 9.

If they send Tkachuk down I wager this is what they plan to do, with Freddie as fourth-line centre

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Like I said at the start of the season, with this goalie back there, if Calgary plays more of a controlled type game they have a great chance at winning. This is a playoff team through and through with the talent they have. It's just a matter of them playing up to par.

The thing I loved about last night was the killer instinct. Up 2-0 going into the second, so what do they do? They control the second period, have the puck a lot more than St. Louis and go up another goal. How many times over the past couple seasons have we seen them go up a goal and simply sit back?

I like Gulutzan so far. I like the structure we play with. We just out-structured the Blues last night. Now I'm looking forward to breaking this streak at the Pond this year :laugh:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Just want to note how good Sam's looked over the past few games; but in all honesty, he was flying for the first part of the season too; and just not catching a break.

I have a feeling we'll get a 50-55 point season out of him this year. By next year, teams are going to have to plan for Sam Bennett.

One thing I'm loving so far:
Pairings:
Gaudreau - Mony: 8 points
Bennett - Brouwer: 11 points
Backlund - Frolik: 8 points
Ferland - Stajan: 8 points

That's some really solid scoring lines. Not sure there are many teams out there that have this going on at the moment. I do believe, while not fully, this could be something that lasts most of the season (possibly the 4th line slowing down and the top line speeding up).

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I think Gully's system is working wonders with our less skilled bottom sixers. They don't have to rely on individual skill to make things happen and now attack with numbers. If we could play like that on a nightly basis, I'd be damn happ,my, and we'd be a playoff team.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I think Gully's system is working wonders with our less skilled bottom sixers. They don't have to rely on individual skill to make things happen and now attack with numbers. If we could play like that on a nightly basis, I'd be damn happ,my, and we'd be a playoff team.

You might even say they're getting favorable matxhuos.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Bennett + Brouwer is definitely the #1 Flames bromance.

So how was Grossmann?

I was actually looking for Grossmann every shift, and having watched him closely.... it wasn't good. He was really struggling to keep up out there, and every time the puck was on his stick he looked to panic. I really don't want him out there on the ice very much at all.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I was actually looking for Grossmann every shift, and having watched him closely.... it wasn't good. He was really struggling to keep up out there, and every time the puck was on his stick he looked to panic. I really don't want him out there on the ice very much at all.

Grossman's definitely a step too slow. Struggled on the breakout. Overall I thought he was pretty solid though. Good on the PK. Hope I never see him on the ice again though :laugh:

From everything I've heard from the coaching staff Kulak's lack of special team prowess is keeping him out of the line-up. Hopefully he plays tomorrow or he might as well go down.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Soooo.... we're in a wild card spot :naughty:

Would be nice to see that these past two games are how the team plays for the rest of the season, not just from a win perspective, but an actual structured, all lines contributing, Gio/Wideman/Engelland not looking like complete anchors, Elliot being a game changer, etc.

How funny would it be if we passed the Sharks and the top 3 in the pacific are Edmonton, Vancouver and Calgary!? Main HF boards would lose it. :popcorn:

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Put me in the camp that says no to sending down Tkachuck. He plays a perfect **** disturber role in our lineup. This team has needed a player like that since Ville...He picks his places, draws attention away from other key players, and is good at drawing penalties. Love this kid so far!

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Bennett + Brouwer is definitely the #1 Flames bromance.

So how was Grossmann?
He was fine on the PK, although I wouldn't use the word "great" : he made a good play in front of the net to prevent a potential scoring chance but also had a hard time keeping up with the play. Two terrible pinches at even strength in the 1st and a bad one in the 3rd. Also responsible for two icings.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Also, I'm hoping they send Tkachuk down. He hasn't been impressive enough that we should burn a valuable ELC year while some wingers in Stockton can bring similar offensive production.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Put me in the camp that says no to sending down Tkachuck. He plays a perfect **** disturber role in our lineup. This team has needed a player like that since Ville...He picks his places, draws attention away from other key players, and is good at drawing penalties. Love this kid so far!

I love what he brings to the table, but with his game, I think he needs some extra time to develop his skating and strength, I don't think throwing him into the 82 game grind is the way to go. But maybe that's why they're taking it slow with him and sitting him here and there. I want him to go back, dominate, develop his offense a bit, and work hard on his skating this offseason, come into next season roaring with confidence.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Also, I'm hoping they send Tkachuk down. He hasn't been impressive enough that we should burn a valuable ELC year while some wingers in Stockton can bring similar offensive production.

Completely disagree. He's providing grit and getting under the skin of players while adding a scoring threat. He's still developing, but I'd like to see him up with the club as he's done nothing to warrant being sent down. Long term development, I'd imagine this helps him more than dominating the O.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad