GDT: Flames and Loathing in Las Vegas CGY @ VGK 8pm MDT

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
…so is everyone complaining about Pelletier being scratched tonight not only forget his play has slipped lately, but also that he low key caused the play that caused us to lose in OT last game? A game to sit and watch from the stands helps a lot of players.

“But Milan Lucic still plays?!?” This may be a surprise to a lot of people but Pelletier has a lot higher standards for him in this organization than Lucic. When report cards come out and the A- kid has a C+ in a class, and the D kid has a C-, who do you think the parents are coming down hard on?
Every player goes through unproductive stretches, and we're talking about a rookie that hasn't even played half a season in the NHL yet.

I can see the logic behind learning from the stands, but I think playing through rough stretches could be equally helpful with the right guidance.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
This isn't the good argument you think it is lmao. Pretty much implies that this organization isn't a meritocracy and holds different standards because of unquantifiable intangibles or whatever else. Or past results. Or whatever else.

A massive criticism of Sutter indeedio.
Believe it or not a 4th line has different expectations than your top 6. Lucic is whelming as a 4th liner. Pelletier has been a bad top 6er lately, and just cost us a game. The organization doesn’t want Pelletier to play on the 4th line or just be a 4th liner, like the majority of organizations treat their top prospects, so he was the one who sat to get back to being a good top 6er.

The fact that you consider an organization not wanting to play their 1st rounders on the 4th line for long stretches “unquantifiable intangibles” speaks more volumes about your understandings of a hockey lineup than the organization honestly.

Case in point, a Pelletier swapped out top line has 2 goals tonight. The Flames want to get Pelletier back to a point where he’s helping the top guys again.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Every player goes through unproductive stretches, and we're talking about a rookie that hasn't even played half a season in the NHL yet.

I can see the logic behind learning from the stands, but I think playing through rough stretches could be equally helpful with the right guidance.
I mean there’s obviously pros and cons to both. It’s great at sending a message of “get back to where you were”, as well as time and time again players mention how the game seems slower from the stands, can really help when paired with advice on how to improve. Some players definitely just prefer to work their way out of it though, and no player ever wants less games.

Think there’s a good reason you see the two methods almost follow a bell curve across the league, where new players to the league get sat more often as learning experiences, guys in the middle of their careers usually just play through or get dropped in the lineup, and late career guys get scratched again.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Believe it or not a 4th line has different expectations than your top 6. Lucic is whelming as a 4th liner. Pelletier has been a bad top 6er lately, and just cost us a game. The organization doesn’t want Pelletier to play on the 4th line or just be a 4th liner, like the majority of organizations treat their top prospects, so he was the one who sat to get back to being a good top 6er.

The fact that you consider an organization not wanting to play their 1st rounders on the 4th line for long stretches “unquantifiable intangibles” speaks more volumes about your understandings of a hockey lineup than the organization honestly.

Case in point, a Pelletier swapped out top line has 2 goals tonight. The Flames want to get Pelletier back to a point where he’s helping the top guys again.
I'm not being baited into the sample size and correlation argument again after the ridiculous debates about Lucic helping Jonathan Huberdeau.

Speaking of Lucic, he isn't an NHL caliber player anymore. That should be the standard. Pelletier is and quite handily, Lucic isn't, When Dennis Wideman was cooked Glue gun stopped playing him.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'm not being baited into the sample size and correlation argument again after the ridiculous debates about Lucic helping Jonathan Huberdeau.

Speaking of Lucic, he isn't an NHL caliber player anymore. That should be the standard. Pelletier is and quite handily, Lucic isn't, When Dennis Wideman was cooked Glue gun stopped playing him.

Excuse me, Glue gun played Bartkowski and Chiasson how many games where????

• Haha
Reactions: Tofveve

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Knowing our Flames they get a lead and then blow it by the end of the 2nd period.

giphy.gif

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Chiasson was a decent bottom 6 winger. Our right side was just awful back then.

Bartkowski I agree.

And its a tie game. Cool shit

Chiasson was playing 1RW for too long because of their history on the stars. Point being... All Shite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad