Confirmed with Link: Flames and Kulak Arbitration Decision, 1 Yr 900k

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I don't think he'd go on record to state his frustration with players trying to "triple their salaries" if he wasn't upset

Maybe he meant the triple the salaries comment as a compliment? :sarcasm:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't think he'd go on record to state his frustration with players trying to "triple their salaries" if he wasn't upset
I think that's just phrasing. It's dangerous reading into transcribed interviews and their exact wording,because not every word is measured. Different than if he wrote it.

I'd be curious to here this interview myself.

Nov 24, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
I like Kulak as a really safe 7-dman. But he’s a good 6 on most teams. But by next season Valimaki or Kylington and Rasmus will have taken Kulak and Stone’s places on the team.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Are we going to bring up Brouwer in every thread regarding contract negotiations?

Brouwer being overpaid isn't a reason to start overpaying everyone, regardless of the amount.

My comment is on being mad over 200k considering money wasted else where

Not a good sign if true

Brouwer is just an easy example

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He was asked a question about contracts and said why he was being tough during negotiations, he answered that he was upset with the season still and no one deserves big raises, the "triple" comment was pretty clear hyperbole, AS is 100% correct

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Maybe kulak's camp was initially looking for more like $1.8-1.9m prior to being placed on waivers? It's hard to get upset over the final amount though.

This is my guess as well. Kulak established himself as an NHL player this year so I assume he was asking for amounts close to what you suggested. And likely something similar with Janks occurred. I don’t think Tre is mad at the players, it’s the agents negotiating the contracts. But out of principle, it sounds like he’s drawing a line in the sand and saying he’s not rewarding failure.

I love that, that is how you build a winning culture.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
This is my guess as well. Kulak established himself as an NHL player this year so I assume he was asking for amounts close to what you suggested. And likely something similar with Janks occurred. I don’t think Tre is mad at the players, it’s the agents negotiating the contracts. But out of principle, it sounds like he’s drawing a line in the sand and saying he’s not rewarding failure.

I love that, that is how you build a winning culture.

I totally agree, but it is a bit of a tightrope. You don’t want to gain a reputation as a stingy organization.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I totally agree, but it is a bit of a tightrope. You don’t want to gain a reputation as a stingy organization.
Why not?

From a player's perspective, Calgary's offer either meets your price or it doesn't. If they have a reputation as a stingy organization and they're offering you what you want, you aren't going to turn it down. That would be even more of a compliment. Plus, that reputation would encourage you that they are able to fit more talent into the team than a team like the Oilers who throw massive contracts at anyone who can hold a hockey stick.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Why not?

From a player's perspective, Calgary's offer either meets your price or it doesn't. If they have a reputation as a stingy organization and they're offering you what you want, you aren't going to turn it down. That would be even more of a compliment. Plus, that reputation would encourage you that they are able to fit more talent into the team than a team like the Oilers who throw massive contracts at anyone who can hold a hockey stick.

Not to state the obvious, but he’s meaning we don’t want to be known as a team that doesn’t pay their players what they deserve.

As of today, I don’t think it’s a concern. Brad has done a good job, but it could become an issue down the road when our guys are no longer RFA’s.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Not to state the obvious, but he’s meaning we don’t want to be known as a team that doesn’t pay their players what they deserve.

As of today, I don’t think it’s a concern. Brad has done a good job, but it could become an issue down the road when our guys are no longer RFA’s.
But why? Why would players care what other guys got paid in the past? How does reputation play into the negotiation? I don't see it. I think for each negotiation, the player will have demands, and their decision to sign or not sign is entirely based on their specific negotiation. I don't see how a hypothetical reputation would affect whether or not the player is happy with the offer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad