Confirmed with Link: Flames and Kulak Arbitration Decision, 1 Yr 900k

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Good deal for both sides.
Kulak got 200k less than I thought he would, Flames keep him under 1M; perfect 6/7 money.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Probably around what I would of given him. All he's proved is he doesn't shit his pants at the NHL level, this is about right money for that.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think I read somewhere that the Flames original offer was 715k one way due to the qualifying offer? I believe this arbitration award is a win for Kulak vs that number and a number close enough for both parties to be happy with.

Hopefully actual arbitration didn't get nasty and both sides merely agreed to disagree (though both were possibly close enough in negotiations) and just left the final decision to the arbitrator. I could almost imagine that Treliving wanted to go to arbitration with Kulak just to begin re-writing the relationship teams have with players in arbitration. I could imagine they were around 100K off and decided to throw numbers out there and let arbitration pin something close to the expected contract.

Sorta like a drawn out coin flip.

But it's just a un-based hope of mine. I really don't know if it was just business as usual for the contract negotiations and a slaughter fest that possibly poisoned the relationship between management and player. I really hope not though.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I think I read somewhere that the Flames original offer was 715k one way due to the qualifying offer? I believe this arbitration award is a win for Kulak vs that number and a number close enough for both parties to be happy with.

Hopefully actual arbitration didn't get nasty and both sides merely agreed to disagree (though both were possibly close enough in negotiations) and just left the final decision to the arbitrator. I could almost imagine that Treliving wanted to go to arbitration with Kulak just to begin re-writing the relationship teams have with players in arbitration. I could imagine they were around 100K off and decided to throw numbers out there and let arbitration pin something close to the expected contract.

Sorta like a drawn out coin flip.

But it's just a un-based hope of mine. I really don't know if it was just business as usual for the contract negotiations and a slaughter fest that possibly poisoned the relationship between management and player. I really hope not though.
Treliving was just on Fan960 and he didn’t sound happy with the amount. He didn’t say anything like “Brett’s a great player and the abitrator’s amount is fair” or anything positive about the decision. Just said something like “that’s the decision and we move forward with it”.

Kristen Anderson also tweeted a quote (I’m on my phone otherwise I’d post it) that Tre wasn’t happy with guys trying to triple their salary a year after we missed playoffs (ie: a season failure). Said some guys completely lost their jobs this year and others (I assume Kulak) are trying to triple their salaries?

Good on Treliving for keeping players in check. Though he’s not going to be able to use that argument on Bennett and Tkachuk when we make playoffs and the season is a success...

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Treliving's comments:

It does seem like it's directed at Kulak but the numbers, at least the arbitration ones don't match up. Kulak made 0.65M last season. Can't see it being Hathaway given his numbers so maybe Rittich? Or maybe it was a reference to a multi-year extension with someone.

I can see where Treliving is coming from but at the same time, using team success to decide individual contracts is spurious to say the least. The players have no control over a terrible coach or a general lack of talent on the roster.

But it's pretty clear that the Kulak negotiations were contentious; waiving him and having it go all the way to arbitration are proof enough. Wouldn't be surprised if Treliving tried moving Kulak before the season starts now.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
When he said he's pissed off, he means about the season, not about the contract negotiations. This sounds like he's saying why the team is being tight towards their players during this off-season.

Then again, it's not like he backed up the truck for Gaudreau after they made the second round of the playoffs.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Treliving hardly ever shows any emotion whatsoever. He must be livid with the arb decision/negotiations if he decided to say that on the radio.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Treliving's comments:

It does seem like it's directed at Kulak but the numbers, at least the arbitration ones don't match up. Kulak made 0.65M last season. Can't see it being Hathaway given his numbers so maybe Rittich? Or maybe it was a reference to a multi-year extension with someone.

I can see where Treliving is coming from but at the same time, using team success to decide individual contracts is spurious to say the least. The players have no control over a terrible coach or a general lack of talent on the roster.

But it's pretty clear that the Kulak negotiations were contentious; waiving him and having it go all the way to arbitration are proof enough. Wouldn't be surprised if Treliving tried moving Kulak before the season starts now.

Not sure if or why he is mad at kulak for essentially 200k

After all, he wasted 4.5m on Brouwer

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Not sure if or why he is mad at kulak for essentially 200k

After all, he wasted 4.5m on Brouwer
Are we going to bring up Brouwer in every thread regarding contract negotiations?

Brouwer being overpaid isn't a reason to start overpaying everyone, regardless of the amount.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Eh, it seems like Treliving's unhappy with both things; the way the season ended and how contract negotiations went, specifically Kulak's but possibly the other RFA's, even if he's not explicitly naming names. It's not a coincidence Treliving would make these remarks after getting handed an arbitration decision he clearly did not want.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Good, play hardball Tre. Even our best players mailed it in last year. You want big dollars, go out and get this franchise a god damn cup. Maybe I'm just emotional today with the Iggy news, but if there was one f***ing player on this team who gave half as much as Iggy did, we likely wouldn't look back on last season as complete crap. I see lots of talent in our core, but not enough heart. Hopefully our new coaching staff can change that.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Eh, it seems like Treliving's unhappy with both things; the way the season ended and how contract negotiations went, specifically Kulak's but possibly the other RFA's, even if he's not explicitly naming names. It's not a coincidence Treliving would make these remarks after getting handed an arbitration decision he clearly did not want.

He's saying he's pissed off at the season still, and that's kind of fed into how he's dealt with negotiations. Like he doesn't feel like players are entitled to anything given how last year went.

I don't think Brad is unprofessional enough to be "pissed off" about players and their agents using the available methods to maximize their career earnings. This could be the most money Kulak earns in a year in his life, potentially. I think he understands that.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
He's saying he's pissed off at the season still, and that's kind of fed into how he's dealt with negotiations. Like he doesn't feel like players are entitled to anything given how last year went.

I don't think Brad is unprofessional enough to be "pissed off" about players and their agents using the available methods to maximize their career earnings. This could be the most money Kulak earns in a year in his life, potentially. I think he understands that.
I don't think he'd go on record to state his frustration with players trying to "triple their salaries" if he wasn't upset

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Good, play hardball Tre. Even our best players mailed it in last year. You want big dollars, go out and get this franchise a god damn cup. Maybe I'm just emotional today with the Iggy news, but if there was one ****ing player on this team who gave half as much as Iggy did, we likely wouldn't look back on last season as complete crap. I see lots of talent in our core, but not enough heart. Hopefully our new coaching staff can change that.

Uhh... Country club comments were rampant for quite a few years with Iggy as captain. Sometimes it's not intentional, it just ends up happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->