Confirmed with Link: Flames Acquire Brian McGrattan

Ynnek

Oct 24, 2011
New Brunswick
I like this move alot actually. Some added grit if we need it while not losing anything worth while to get it.

At least Feaster was smart and didn't make a waiver claim and waste another contract without giving one up.

flamesfever

Jun 30, 2004
Please elaborate?

Soft in terms of heavyweight enforcement and deterrent that comes along with having that "skill".

No response to the MacDonald running is the biggest indicator. However, numerous times we've see opposing players constantly taking extra shots at the Goalie when freezing the puck with little to no consequence. I know the game has changed and this is discourage and it's a fine line, but when Lewis ran over MacDonald someone should have stepped up...Hartly certainly thought so.

Flames are 26th in the league in fighting majors: 5 fights 2*Begin, 2*Jackman, 1 Iginla (after being called out by a former team mate)

Not convinced Gratton is the right choice here and if he will provide intimidation. We know he is a brutal skater and will get minimum minutes so I would have rather had say a Bobby Robbins to provide that deterrent.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Well I had a minor heart attack when I thought this was a waiver pick up. Now that I know it's a trade, I'm more okay with it. Piskula wasn't anything special anyways.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Gratzky!!!!

God just reading some of these comments you would think we traded a 1st for him.

Right lol.

Love me some Brian McGrattan! Always was one of my favorite tough guys. Christ sakes people, we traded an AHL caliber D-man for some more toughness. Jackman apparently feels like being a skill player, Grats and Aliu should be sent out there with Begin; make life hell for the opposition when they're out heh.

I like this.

TylerSVT*

With how TylerSVT is reacting he must have been really high on Joe Piskula's chances to become an nhler, lol.

No, i think its a lateral move that does nothing for this team. I dont think this move makes the Flames better or worse. I dont know why Feaster is even looking at these kind of "deals"

I dont know what he expects McGrattan to do... Jackman and Kostop were both big energy guys, they turned it off when they realized the rest of the team has no interest in playing hard.

I just think it shows that Feaster is looking for quick fixes. I dont expect him to move big name players out yet, but i just think this indicates where his head is at.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
It is a minor deal that benefits this team. We gave up an AHL dman who wasn't going to make the Flames roster for an Enforcer. The team still has 1 contract spot remaining so good on management on this one.

Gary83*

No, i think its a lateral move that does nothing for this team. I dont think this move makes the Flames better or worse. I dont know why Feaster is even looking at these kind of "deals"

I dont know what he expects McGrattan to do... Jackman and Kostop were both big energy guys, they turned it off when they realized the rest of the team has no interest in playing hard.

I just think it shows that Feaster is looking for quick fixes. I dont expect him to move big name players out yet, but i just think this indicates where his head is at.

Or maybe he plans to move Jackman at some point for a pick, prospect whatever and this is a plan B option without leaving us marshmallow soft.

But please, continue to jump overboard because Feaster doesn't stick to your wise, armchair GM decisions.

This is a scrub AHL contract essentially for a goon. Feaster didn't give up anything for value, there's no reason to have anything other then a "meh" response to this trade.

I understand that you're an Oilers fan but try to calm down in the future.

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
Hudler at center? Yuk.

Keep Stajan with Tangs and Iggy they need the puck and he has mixed well with them.

It'll be easier when Backund's back. After that we have Backlund, Stajan, Cammalleri and Begin at center. Cervenka has to fight for his time, Bärtschi too. I'm fine with our GlenX-Cammy-Stemps -line, and Tanguay-Stajan-Iginla too, but third line will be too soft, so that's why I see smartness in trying Stajan between Hudler and Bärtschi/Cervenka.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
It'll be easier when Backund's back. After that we have Backlund, Stajan, Cammalleri and Begin at center. Cervenka has to fight for his time, Bärtschi too.

But why put Hulder at center when Stajan is working there, why not leave Cammy at center he also has been fine there and let Cervenka have a shot on the 2nd line with Hudler?

Any way Cervenka is scratched tonight
Tanguay - Stajan - Iginla
Glencross - Cammy - Stempniak
Hudler - Comeau(gross) - Sven
Aliu - Begin - Jackman

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Right lol.

Love me some Brian McGrattan! Always was one of my favorite tough guys. Christ sakes people, we traded an AHL caliber D-man for some more toughness. Jackman apparently feels like being a skill player, Grats and Aliu should be sent out there with Begin; make life hell for the opposition when they're out heh.

I like this.

Yup, that 4th line would really make life hell for opponents what with two wingers that have a complete inability to skate, play defensively, or handle the puck.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Why are people pissing over this deal? Piskula is a career AHL journeyman. He had nothing to help the Flames, meanwhile, Mcgratten will give the Flames toughness.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Can't imagine Hudler and Cervenka being split up, unless Cervenka is scratched.
Confirmed with quote: LukeD complains about games without watching them.

They haven't played much together since Baertschi returned.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I know it's only temporary, but Abbotsford could use McGrattan since they too lack toughness. The additions to Abbotsford this week are very much welcome :D

TylerSVT*

Or maybe he plans to move Jackman at some point for a pick, prospect whatever and this is a plan B option without leaving us marshmallow soft.

But please, continue to jump overboard because Feaster doesn't stick to your wise, armchair GM decisions.

This is a scrub AHL contract essentially for a goon. Feaster didn't give up anything for value, there's no reason to have anything other then a "meh" response to this trade.

I understand that you're an Oilers fan but try to calm down in the future.

Apparently not loving everything the Flames do = Oilers Fan.

Sounds good, thanks!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Anyone know how he's been doing with his addiction problems? I also like this move, glad to have him back.
I haven't heard anything, which I assume is a good thing. He did a good job of staying out of trouble with his last Calgary stint.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
I like the move. McGrattan can go with anyone in the league. Hopefully he can run someone over and stir the team too when we take one of our patented games off.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Meh. A 4th line goon who plays 3-4 minutes a night doesn't do much to deter other teams. At least Feaster traded a contract this time instead of a pick or just claiming McGratton off of waivers for nothing.

flames123

Oct 21, 2009
Kelowna
McGrattan is an exciting fighter. He lands his punches and wins his fights. I don't care what you say, a 6' 4" guy who can beat the crap out of you is scary. He has a limited role and when he was in Calgary last time I thought he did a good (enough) job defensively. It is what it is and Piskula wasn't going to amount to anything that couldn't be had in free agency.

Predarat

Aug 16, 2005
Best of luck to him, wish there was a Pred that could drop the gloves so BigErn could clobber him. But the Preds have no idea how to use an enforcer.

weephil56

Feb 28, 2013
Belfast
He is a far better enforcer than Jackman will ever be much more intimidating. Hopefully this helps the flames grow some back bone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad