GDT: FLAMES (5-4-2) at DEVILS (9-3-0) v5 p.m. MT | TV: Sportsnet West | RADIO: Sportsnet 960 The FAN

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Treliving believes in building goaltending and defence first. Problem is that neither is very good. Well then onto that forward depth, yikes.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Drafting 11th right now, need to get into top 9 to get a frontline player imo; should be in that position come Saturday after hours show.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Not even sure what to say about that one. I even pulled out all the special stops, wore my Flames socks and toque, drank out of my Flames mug, turned my jersey inside out when we were down 1 late in the 3rd. If you could put one person at fault for this loss I guess it would be Markstrom but why is he playing on b2b nights? Team just can't buy a win right now, missing Gaudreau and Tkachuk a lot.

Good : Lindy I liked, had the puck moving in the right direction. Hanifin had what I thought was his best game of the season. Toffoli was also very solid. Kadri was everywhere, f*** if he had finished on that last chance I would have came.

Almost good : Ruzicka had a rough 1st period but then looked awesome for being thrown in into the lineup as a 1LW. Keep him in ffs. Weegar was pretty good defensively, not seeing this EV strength production that he's been lauded for. Gilbert and DeSimone were fine honestly. Andersson.

Zadorov : Zadorov

Need more from : Mangiapane was a little better, but really not by much. Score a goal dude. Coleman tries hard but for 4.6 million.. you simply need more than that. Dube, what happened to the player that hung on to pucks and made plays? Not going to be effective as a perimeter player. Markstrom has been the 2nd best goalie far too often for his pricetag. Really getting tired of it, but also maybe score more than two goals?!

These guys play professional hockey for the Flames : Lewis, Ritchie, Lucic Rooney. Whole bunch of nothing.

Matthew Phillips tied for the AHL scoring lead right now and leading the AHL in goals btw 🤔

Last edited:

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Coleman tries hard but for 4.6 million.. you simply need more than that. Dube, what happened to the player that hung on to pucks and made plays? Not going to be effective as a perimeter player.
Coleman has a 4.9M cap hit and is on pace for 27 points after putting up 33 last year

For every good UFA Treliving brings in, there's about five cap anchors

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Flames are really missing a "f*** it I'll do it myself" transition player like Gaudreau. Closest thing is Kadri but he's not nearly on the same level. So much of the games are back and forth slogs before someone gets zone time, chances are traded, Flames get zone time, generate chances, and the other team layers a rush chance against and bam, goal. Like, I find it hard to fully blame Markstrom because he saves so many potentially back-breaking goals and then in back to back nights gives up goals that don't even leave the ice? It's just paradoxical he's keeping the Flames in it just close enough for him to blow it.

Flames are gonna have to hit the drawing board and find some cohesive way to enter the zone and start getting chances off the rush without turning it over--you can't win in the NHL based purely on half-court offense, you need to be able to generate, and most importantly, convert on rush chances.

Reactions: Tofveve

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Also, Coleman kind of sucks and was a terrible signing. Dude's basically overpaid by like 3M

He and Dube are very similar to me. Mangi isn't much different this year either except for being smaller and a bit faster. They're like all the same players to a degree and not getting it done.

If I were Coleman I'd be saving every penny from the remainder of this contract.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
It does seem as though the extended home stand has created a sort of factory worker mentality on this team . "Time to make the Donuts" skating around at half speed , bumping into each other , passing to nobody or worse passing cross ice through an opponent giving them a break away . Coaching needs to find a way to shake them awake , in the bright side they were able to enter the zone on the PP without Hubi there to screw up the entry pass but the point man seems enjoy watching the pass go by instead of crowding the boards and blocking it down to keep the zone , just a whole lot of half effort play really .

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
IIRC Weegar and Huberdeau started well. Has our skid and their struggled coincided/amplified with the snow falling? Literally parallel to the sky is falling?

Our new Florida buddies like Samson, but with temperature? :eek3:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Looch is just awful. Scratch Dube. He's useless too. And Mang the one-trick pony.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I don't think it's so much a lack of an elite transition forward as it is our complete unwillingness to move up the ice as a five man unit. For what ever reason our transition game from the defensive zone to the neutral zone is non existent - and it's not due to one individual. Mackenzie Weegar by every metric has been an elite transition player for the past three years but we are certainly not seeing that - and I think that's due to the system or lack there of to start the year.

I think Sutter's mantra of playing to make one less mistake than the opposing team is archaic and quite frankly idiotic and it exposes a team that doesn't currently have an elite (top three) line to carry a team like last year. We need to attack in waves.

Key notes
- Ruzicka looked great after the first 10 or so minutes. The guy clearly has the skillset to be an everyday top nine NHL player.
- Markstrom yet again lost the goaltending matchup
- Kevin Rooney provides nothing - looking more and more like this years Brad Richardson.
- Lucic could probably have a night off as well - brutal turnover after brutal turnover.
- Andersson is being asked to carry too much of a load with the current injuries.
- Mangiapane has his head so far up his ass. He's never looked worse although he was a bit better this game.

Reactions: 23Monahan

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
I don’t know why we got away from the Coleman Backlund Mangy line that was so good last year at the end of the season. Legit proven it can work and they haven’t been put together. They also need to stack a line, which Darryl won’t do because he wants the centre depth but Huby Kadri and Lindy should be tried. Then role out Dube Ruzicka and Toffoli for the third line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad