GDT: FLAMES (45-19-9) vs. GOLDEN KNIGHTS (40-29-5)7 p.m. MT | TV: Sportsnet 360 | RADIO: Sportsnet 960 The FAN

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
3a7.jpg

Reactions: Boomstick

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The Flames didn't even have that bad a game (not 6-1 bad anyway), but puck luck combined with distraction from the Kolesar play ended up making for an extremely frustrating game.

I'm reminded of when Gio had that knee-on-knee play on Fowler against Anaheim. It was a penalty, but clearly unintentional. Gio went ahead and fought Manson afterwards to show respect for the opposition.

The fact that Kolesar knew it was a bad hit (watch his reaction afterwards) and wasn't willing to honour that pissed me off and had me wishing the whole game that the Flames would get even.

Realistically, the refs need to handle that. There is no clause in the rule book that should've allowed Kolesar to keep playing after throwing a hit that picked the head and sent Tanev to the dressing room.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Honestly our issues this game was severe breakdowns. We actually generated far more chances and pinned them in their zones most of the game. Vegas isnt going to win most games playing like this. Of course we still need to be much better, but it's far less worrying than being completely dominated and losing.

Reactions: Anglesmith

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Well that sucked. Desperate team against a tepid small pp energy team. Hopefully Vegas gets Edmonton 1st round, I think they'd wipe the floor with them.

Gonna sum this sucker up as quick as I can.
Bad : yes
🤢: Gudbranson & Zadorov

The Flames didn't even have that bad a game (not 6-1 bad anyway), but puck luck combined with distraction from the Kolesar play ended up making for an extremely frustrating game.

I'm reminded of when Gio had that knee-on-knee play on Fowler against Anaheim. It was a penalty, but clearly unintentional. Gio went ahead and fought Manson afterwards to show respect for the opposition.

The fact that Kolesar knew it was a bad hit (watch his reaction afterwards) and wasn't willing to honour that pissed me off and had me wishing the whole game that the Flames would get even.

Realistically, the refs need to handle that. There is no clause in the rule book that should've allowed Kolesar to keep playing after throwing a hit that picked the head and sent Tanev to the dressing room.

In what world is that not a 5? That they reviewed it after and THEN reduced it is ridiculous. Just because he played nice and apologized doesn't mean anything. Bitch made shit not answering the bell.

Reactions: Boomstick

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

Sorry, but no player should be obligated to "honour anything" if they don't want to. Refs made a bad call, but at the end of the day the team needs to keep its composure. Bad calls and missed calls happen.

Flames tried to "get even", and they handed Vegas two points.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Yeah, objectively, Kolesar played that perfectly. Flames got rattled and focused on him instead of the game. They'll be an easy out if they do that in the playoffs.

Reactions: super6646

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Anyways, stopped watching after the second to do other things. That third pair has been sliding for a bit... I wouldn't be opposed to a shakeup.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Sorry, but no player should be obligated to "honour anything" if they don't want to. Refs made a bad call, but at the end of the day the team needs to keep its composure. Bad calls and missed calls happen.

Flames tried to "get even", and they handed Vegas two points.
I completely agree when it comes to big clean hits. I think that if you don't honour it after an illegal play like that, somebody eventually gets hurt. Especially in a game where Calgary doesn't really need the two points. You could see how things were escalating, and Marchessault nearly took a knee to the head as a result.

On the other hand obviously Kolesar's actions (and inactions) helped his team tonight, so I get what you're saying.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I completely agree when it comes to big clean hits. I think that if you don't honour it after an illegal play like that, somebody eventually gets hurt. Especially in a game where Calgary doesn't really need the two points. You could see how things were escalating, and Marchessault nearly took a knee to the head as a result.

On the other hand obviously Kolesar's actions (and inactions) helped his team tonight, so I get what you're saying.
Idk man. To me it seems silly to have this sort of "code", especially with what we know about CTE. Hockey would be better without fighting, period. If he doesn't want to fight, that has to be respected. Bad hit or not bad hit.

Refs made a bad call? 100%. They make bad calls every game too, and every fanbase on this board thinks they get screwed and that it is rigged. If this was a playoff game, I'd be irate seeing the team fall into that trap.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Team needed to keep its wits about them. After the 2nd Vegas goal, all of a sudden guys like Gudbranson and Tkachuk are going off-script and trying to blow guys up with open ice hits.

Lucic needed to wait after the whistle to go after Kolesar. Refs almost always give offsetting minors in that situation. Just poor game awareness all-around.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Idk man. To me it seems silly to have this sort of "code", especially with what we know about CTE. Hockey would be better without fighting, period. If he doesn't want to fight, that has to be respected.
I mean, the easy way to avoid it would be to not duck the guy's shoulder specifically to hit him in the head. That would be a pretty good way to make sure everyone is safe from a CTE standpoint. Tanev didn't want to get rocked in the head and that wasn't respected.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I mean, the easy way to avoid it would be to not duck the guy's shoulder specifically to hit him in the head. That would be a pretty good way to make sure everyone is safe from a CTE standpoint. Tanev didn't want to get rocked in the head and that wasn't respected.
And I agree he should've been tossed for that. Accident or not, that doesn't belong in the game either.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
And I agree he should've been tossed for that. Accident or not, that doesn't belong in the game either.
Right. The thing is, it isn't as thought Kolesar is a player who is unwilling to fight, generally speaking. He has a handful of fights to his name in the NHL. There is no reason to pretend that fighting, in and of itself, is too dangerous for him to contemplate, and that his decision not to fight is because he fears for his own safety.

You've got a guy who is willing to fight in the NHL, who knows he did a bad and disrespectful thing, and knows that he can make it right and prevent things from escalating by fighting. His decision not to, therefore, is a bit disrespectful to me.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Right. The thing is, it isn't as thought Kolesar is a player who is unwilling to fight, generally speaking. He has a handful of fights to his name in the NHL. There is no reason to pretend that fighting, in and of itself, is too dangerous for him to contemplate, and that his decision not to fight is because he fears for his own safety.

You've got a guy who is willing to fight in the NHL, who knows he did a bad and disrespectful thing, and knows that he can make it right and prevent things from escalating by fighting. His decision not to, therefore, is a bit disrespectful to me.
We have to agree to disagree. I take 0 issue if a player doesn't want to fight, even if he has a reputation as such for whatever reason. When he didn't show interest, Lucic should've backed off and moved on. Beat them on the scoresheet rather than forcing the game to become what it isn't. Flames paid for that tonight, and Vegas has the initiative to make it now.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

He made a fool out of the Flames. Tkachuk does it all the time. Respect is when you win and the other guys look like morons.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
We have to agree to disagree. I take 0 issue if a player doesn't want to fight, even if he has a reputation as such for whatever reason. When he didn't show interest, Lucic should've backed off and moved on. Beat them on the scoresheet rather than forcing the game to become what it isn't.
Beating them on the scoresheet was out of the question a few minutes after Lucic's penalty, though.
He made a fool out of the Flames. Tkachuk does it all the time. Respect is when you win and the other guys look like morons.
He threw an illegal hit. That's not making a fool out of anyone.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
There's a point where Kolesar did uhh... "screw" up massively and in most situations the unspoken code demands a fight. However, the Flames need to be able to recognize that they can't completely take themselves out of a game for 2 PP GA while trying to get back at a guy while simultaneously losing defensive coverage.

You just simply can't lose focus on a game trying to get retribution when it's 1-1. The team has been having discipline/penalty issues for a while too so it's not like that's something new.

Otherwise please try Jarnkrok on the wing. I don't really understand why he came in, took a centre spot, and hasn't been tested anywhere else after being successful THIS year as a RIGHT WING. Why would we try and get a rental and give him a completely different position from where he was successful? That just makes no sense to me

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
There's a point where Kolesar did uhh... "screw" up massively and in most situations the unspoken code demands a fight. However, the Flames need to be able to recognize that they can't completely take themselves out of a game for 2 PP GA while trying to get back at a guy while simultaneously losing defensive coverage.

You just simply can't lose focus on a game trying to get retribution when it's 1-1. The team has been having discipline/penalty issues for a while too so it's not like that's something new.

Otherwise please try Jarnkrok on the wing. I don't really understand why he came in, took a centre spot, and hasn't been tested anywhere else after being successful THIS year as a RIGHT WING. Why would we try and get a rental and give him a completely different position from where he was successful? That just makes no sense to me
Jarnkrok has played RW primarily for years IIRC. I don't know why they insist on using him as a center.

I wonder about something like this, where we spread the wealth around a bit.

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Toffoli (I know Toffoli isn't Tkachuk but I thought this line got chances when they played together and frankly I think Tkachuk has been really bad lately).
Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman
Tkachuk-Dube-Jarnkrok
Lewis/Lucic-Ruzicka-Carpenter

I haven't loved Carpenter defensively but he has by far the most skill of the 4th line veterans. He can skate and gets the puck moving the right way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mazatt

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Really poor game for us. And they capitalized where in other similar efforts we won.

Glad Johnny and Lindy only got dinged for 1 minus each.

We need to start playing better. I feel in our 6 game winning streak we could have lost half of them at least. Such is the home stretch when we're not a bubble team for once. I guess?

Finally, just keep the best line in the league together. Seriously, best line in the league and we have to reinvent the wheel. Even if they weren't always clicking as of late. We've done this before (McCammond,Conroy, Iginla); (Johnny, Mony, Huds); (Johnny, Mony, Lindholm - spring 2019 I believe) . . . Let them get their mojo back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad