Post-Game Talk: Flames 4 Oilers 3 In OT, Embellishment Edition

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
Props to Schultz and Ference for getting off the ice before picking up a minus. Well done!!

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Klefbom-made the one very uncommon mistake and list his man on the second goal, other than that he was an amazing shut down guy who even had some good chances.

Yak- set up the first goal with a quick release that only him and Nuge are capable of on this team. Yet somehow people still want to call him out for what was an excellent game where he crested a lot more than not.

Schultz- mistakes keep piling up. Stood behindthe net like the play was over while his man scored on the first goal.

Scrivens- made a lot of lights out saves. If he wasn't thrown to the the wolves each night he'd be fine.

Fraser- that goal! That post game press conference! People's champion.

Roy- improvement over Marco
so far.

Perron- was very pivotal to the first goal. Also had some good looks tonight.

Eberle- was the driving force on that line tonight which was great to see finally though it makes me suspect hall is injured. Eberle was dangerous all night.

Hall- made a defender look silly with a move and then put a great shot on net. He's got the moves and hands to back up the speed that seems to be absent since he returned from injury. Hope this passes because the thought of him and nurse on this team is exciting.

LD- that's the LD that was advertised, damn he has vision! Hopefully gets sent down so he can hone in those skills and do what he has to do. Maybe we could see some Yakimov this year, would help his development to get a few more games on the big club.

Last edited:

Jmask83

Oct 3, 2009
That diving call at the end of the game was one of the worst ever. You could see Petry trying to stay up while he was falling.

mactforcoach

Nov 18, 2008
Drayton Valley Ab
Overall that was a good hockey game, something we haven't seen in a long time. Tuesday night the Kings come to town on a back to back and everyone thinks the Oilers should win because of that. Last night was their back to back so expect them to be a little tired. Yet they finally played like the BOA actually means something.

Nice to see some chippy play from the Oilers, Aulie hit was unfortunate but clean, Stajan needs to keep his head up, Scott Stevens rule #1. Nelson has changed the culture somewhat already and we are starting to watch a team instead of a bunch of confused individuals. the more I see this the more I see how bad Eakins was.

Shultz totally blew it on the Bouma goal, he had him on the end boards, then Bouma turns away, goes to the front, and Shultz just stood there like the whistle blew. He has to get out of that habit, it happens too often.

Yak, the game just hasn't slowed down for him. If Nelson can't turn him around I don't know who can. Just relax a little Nail, breathe. Eberle played a hell of a game, some decent hits. Nce goal by Fraser, he seems to have a fire in his belly that hopefully spreads to the others who had gone numb under Eakins.

Baronsfan

Nov 10, 2010
Klefbom-made the one very uncommon mistake and list his man on the second goal, other than that he was an amazing shut down guy who even had some good chances.

Yak- set up the first goal with a quick release that only him and Nuge are capable of on this team. Yet somehow people still want to call him out for what was an excellent game where he crested a lot more than not.

Schultz- mistakes keep piling up. Stood behindthe net like the play was over while his man scored on the first goal.

Scrivens- made a lot of lights out saves. If he wasn't thrown to the the wolves each night he'd be fine.

Fraser- that goal! That post game press conference! People's champion.

Roy- improvement over Marco
so far.

Perron- was very pivotal to the first goal. Also had some good looks tonight.

Eberle- was the driving force on that line tonight which was great to see finally though it makes me suspect hall is injured. Eberle was dangerous all night.

Hall- made a defender look silly with a move and then put a great shot on net. He's got the moves and hands to back up the speed that seems to be absent since he returned from injury. Hope this passes because the thought of him and nurse on this team is exciting.

LD- that's the LD that was advertised, damn he has vision! Hopefully gets sent down so he can hone in those skills and do what he has to do. Maybe we could see some Yakimov this year, would help his development to get a few more games on the big club.
Yakimov hasn't been great in the AHL, so he shouldn't even get a cup of coffee until he becomes more steady. What would be better for his development, but worst for OKC, is to give Lander a deserving call and more of a chance then give Yakimov a more expanded role and See how he can play with more opportunities in Anton's absence.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Overall that was a good hockey game, something we haven't seen in a long time. Tuesday night the Kings come to town on a back to back and everyone thinks the Oilers should win because of that. Last night was their back to back so expect them to be a little tired. Yet they finally played like the BOA actually means something.

Nice to see some chippy play from the Oilers, Aulie hit was unfortunate but clean, Stajan needs to keep his head up, Scott Stevens rule #1. Nelson has changed the culture somewhat already and we are starting to watch a team instead of a bunch of confused individuals. the more I see this the more I see how bad Eakins was.

Shultz totally blew it on the Bouma goal, he had him on the end boards, then Bouma turns away, goes to the front, and Shultz just stood there like the whistle blew. He has to get out of that habit, it happens too often.

Yak, the game just hasn't slowed down for him. If Nelson can't turn him around I don't know who can. Just relax a little Nail, breathe. Eberle played a hell of a game, some decent hits. Nce goal by Fraser, he seems to have a fire in his belly that hopefully spreads to the others who had gone numb under Eakins.

Pretty accurate post.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Yakimov hasn't been great in the AHL, so he shouldn't even get a cup of coffee until he becomes more steady. What would be better for his development, but worst for OKC, is to give Lander a deserving call and more of a chance then give Yakimov a more expanded role and See how he can play with more opportunities in Anton's absence.

Good analysis.

He looked good at the start of the season, hope yak 2 is getting the training he needs to keep up in NA.

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton

Yak, the game just hasn't slowed down for him. If Nelson can't turn him around I don't know who can. Just relax a little Nail, breathe.

Schultz needs to speed his game up, Yak needs to slow his game down. Neither will happen easily.

Baronsfan

Nov 10, 2010
Good analysis.

He looked good at the start of the season, hope yak 2 is getting the training he needs to keep up in NA.

He has some sneaky good hands in tight and has a burst of speed that you don't expect when he gets moving. He will continue to get better, he's just catching his stride IMO. He's been fine in a 3c role, strong on boards, but wish he used his big frame to play a more physical style but that's just not his cup of tea.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Schultz stopping and taking a breather while the puck gets centered for a goal.

About sums him up as a player.. I've had enough of him and could care less if we didn't even bother signing him next year.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Loved watching Ference blow up little Johnny.

I thought once they killed off that 5 minute penalty we'd win the game but third again this is the Oilers after all

Flames played a typical Flames game...spot the other team a lead, score a late 2nd period goal make it close...complete the comeback in he 3rd...

No team plays 20 minutes worth of hockey like the Flames

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
The team still lost despite some good performances. That's the bottom line. Can't wait until some players and management are moved out for next year.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
We need more players like Pitlick, not less. One of the few who puts his ass on the line.

I'm not against having him in the lineup, just trying to make room for Pakarinen. He looked great in his limited showing with the team this year. I'd rather have Pitlick and Pakarinen instead of Purcell, but he was a MacT move, so he's gotta play. :(

Oct 15, 2008
I'm not against having him in the lineup, just trying to make room for Pakarinen. He looked great in his limited showing with the team this year. I'd rather have Pitlick and Pakarinen instead of Purcell, but he was a MacT move, so he's gotta play. :(

Agreed, both should be on the roster. And if Mact is serious about making the team better then who gives a **** about Purcell. He's one of the first guys out of the cannon.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
So you're already complaining about the coach? :shakehead

I want to see what Nelson is capable of as much as most around here but...

Playing Hall (who is speculated as hurt and playing
slow), Schultz (consistently our worst defenseman), and Ferrence (guy who wouldn't even make bottom pairing on 75% of nhl teams) to start a 3 on 3 is very questionable strategy and certainly was a factor in our loss.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Agreed, both should be on the roster. And if Mact is serious about making the team better then who gives a **** about Purcell. He's one of the first guys out of the cannon.

Yep. He was pretty good the first two weeks he was here, then absolutely disappeared. TB fans were right about that guy.

Gretzkyforever99

Dec 28, 2014
Great White North
entertaining game...lots of hits, what almost seemed like intensity out there, decent goal tending. now if only we hadn't let Hall and Scrivens out to dry in OT. wtf? kind of line change was that? Frazer chirpping Calgary players from the bench...nice to see need more guys with fire in their bellies like this.
but the tank is on...will be hard to stay in the basement with 3 points every 2 games lol

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00