Post-Game Talk: Flames 4 Oilers 3 In OT, Embellishment Edition

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The oilers defence played physical, but thats because the flames offence was forechecking the **** out of us all night. Didn't see the same forecheck from our boys. Were they more physical then normal sure, but the same culprits turned away from hits they need to be making consistently. When opposing dmen start making mistakes because one of our guys is barreling down and they know that a big check is coming, thats when we'll know this team has turned a corner. Right now IMO we don't have the personel to play that type of game. As I said still lots of work to be done to the roster to get it near the playoffs.

The Flames forecheck was actually ineffective for much of the first two periods. They were coming hard but most times we were frustrating them by moving the puck out well.

Also an over aggressive forecheck like the Flames were employing is susceptible to a good transition break out. Flames were very lucky on several plays that the puck bounced badly or we had several oddman breakouts. We even had Hall sprung on a clear breakaway. Flames are too aggressive on the forecheck. Its there risk/reward gameplan but a good scouting report sets up counters for that and exploits it. We attempted that but execution was a bit off. Still, we were transitioning the puck with a better scheme. Short pass puck support. Loved it.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I remember the same things being said about brad hunt. And probably Eakins too.

This team needs to learn how to win and I'm not seeing that. No excuse to lose this game and they did anyway. That's three multiple goal leads blown within the past 5 games.

Also anyone remember how good the barons were with the wunderkinds down there? They weren't very good.

Bah...you're just pissed that the Flames own the Oilers in terms of the comparative rebuilds. :D

I hate to say I told you so but I did predict this last season. :nod:

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
I've looked at the OT goal several times and I'm still questioning how Ference can make a decision there to go to the bench.

My first thought on the goal was that may be one of the worst line changes I've ever seen. But on the replay, if the penalties didn't expire, as both the Flames D are behind their own blueline and Hall is back for the high guy nothing really develops. So basically Ference can be blamed for lack of situational awareness regarding the penalties. This doesn't excuse him (especially being a vet) but it makes it a little understandable. I'm not sure if the goalies had the beaver tails going or if the bench was yelling regarding the penalty ending, which would have made the excuse worse for Ference.

Edit: I couldn't tell if Jooris' 20 ft lead on Petry was because of the timekeepers or Petry going into his corner coast mode.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
The Flames forecheck was actually ineffective for much of the first two periods. They were coming hard but most times we were frustrating them by moving the puck out well.

Also an over aggressive forecheck like the Flames were employing is susceptible to a good transition break out. Flames were very lucky on several plays that the puck bounced badly or we had several oddman breakouts. We even had Hall sprung on a clear breakaway. Flames are too aggressive on the forecheck. Its there risk/reward gameplan but a good scouting report sets up counters for that and exploits it. We attempted that but execution was a bit off. Still, we were transitioning the puck with a better scheme. Short pass puck support. Loved it.

The whole reason the Flames have a great 3rd period record is because of that forecheck. Wears teams down and they start making boneheaded play late in games. Look at our game last night as a perfect example of that.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
I think the Flames forecheck became effective in the third more because of exhaustion on the Oilers D. With Nikitin going grampa mode against and Aulie's attempted murder of Stajan those other 5 defenseman saw a lot of ice-time over two days.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
My first thought on the goal was that may be one of the worst line changes I've ever seen. But on the replay, if the penalties didn't expire, as both the Flames D are behind their own blueline and Hall is back for the high guy nothing really develops. So basically Ference can be blamed for lack of situational awareness regarding the penalties. This doesn't excuse him (especially being a vet) but it makes it a little understandable. I'm not sure if the goalies had the beaver tails going or if the bench was yelling regarding the penalty ending, which would have made the excuse worse for Ference.

Edit: I couldn't tell if Jooris' 20 ft lead on Petry was because of the timekeepers or Petry going into his corner coast mode.

A few things. Scrivens was making noise on the play and was attempting to alert of the danger and the Flames penalty box did open prior to the Oilers penalty box. Giving the flame quite the headstart on the play. This has been discussed.

Oilers got shafted last night several times.

never change Calgary. Any crooked tactic to get an edge. Even biased timeskeepers. :shakehead

Doesn't absolve ference though. you just don't change ever as a D especially if puck isn't deep. Especially when its not 5 on 5. Play was just so bad plus that it was Ference himself that ****ed up the clearing attempt.

I would staple this guy to the pressbox after that stunt.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The whole reason the Flames have a great 3rd period record is because of that forecheck. Wears teams down and they start making boneheaded play late in games. Look at our game last night as a perfect example of that.

Flames forecheck and puck possession changed because we inadvertently changed our coverage. Due to some panic players dropped off coverage and collapsed too much. our 5 on 5 set in 3rd resembled a pk set except with less positional play and far too much collapsing. We were giving the flames easy pass back to the point the whole 3rd period. meaning the flames didn't even have to work at possessing the puck.

This was much different than how Oilers played Flames the first two periods by limiting time and space.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
A lame shootout attempt by Ference..leads to the winning goal.. plus the bad line change..

FaroffScholarlyCormorant.gif

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Yup. I have watched quite a few Flames games and I am very envious of their team speed and the way they pressure the D. They took the game over from the Oilers and completely out hit and out chanced them.
Tons of compete and character on that team.

They Oilers got some tough calls but the Flames were the better team in that game.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Yup. I have watched quite a few Flames games and I am very envious of their team speed and the way they pressure the D. They took the game over from the Oilers and completely out hit and out chanced them.
Tons of compete and character on that team.

They Oilers got some tough calls but the Flames were the better team in that game.

Basically 10 minutes of short handed "tough calls".

Second game in 2 nights for the Oilers.

And no the Flames did not completely out hit the Oilers, we got the best of the hits by a mile.

It was obviously a game that could have gone either way. You make it sound like it was a 8-2 game while Scrivens stood on his head.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Basically 10 minutes of short handed "tough calls".

Second game in 2 nights for the Oilers.

And no the Flames did not completely out hit the Oilers, we got the best of the hits by a mile.

It was obviously a game that could have gone either way. You make it sound like it was a 8-2 game while Scrivens stood on his head.

The Flames by my eye and by the stats out hit the Oilers by a wide margin. The Oilers had the more memorable hits but thats about it.

Regarding the 2nd game in 2 nights....that effect has been negligible.

That being said I agree that the game could have gone either way. I am just saying that the Flames certainly out played the Oilers for the most part. No shame in that...the Flames are clearly a better team at this point in time.

They have my respect.

Last edited:

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Ever tried to make a pass when your lungs are burning and your whole body is fatigued? I'll say it again Ference played close to 25 minutes last night. Way to many for a 35 year old middle pairing dman.
So he is always gassed. And isn't Ference one of Eakin's fitness buddies. I'm sorry he just isn't an adequate puck mover IMO.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

I didn't watch the game last night, but I've noticed that since day 1 of the Nelson/MacT tandem.

Good to see.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
So he is always gassed. And isn't Ference one of Eakin's fitness buddies. I'm sorry he just isn't an adequate puck mover IMO.

If Ference isn't an adequate puck mover then what do you call the rest of our sorry defence? Because IMO he is no worse at getting the puck out then any of the other Oiler dmen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad