Post-Game Talk: Flames 4 Bruins 3 SO

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Theres not a doubt about it the refs stuck it to Bruins tonite.The ole help get more Canadian teams in.We need them fans tuning in for ratings.The NHL is a shadow of what it was.

With due respect, the NHL seems to have much more vested interest in screwing Canadian teams over as the fans are diehards regardless of decades of mediocrity. Tonight had a lot of calls period both way and I can understand your position, but it was nowhere near as one-sided as the absolute robbery the Rangers got away with against the Flames just three games ago. We're talking a game where the Rangers supposedly didn't commit a single penalty despite some of the most blatant tripping and interference you can imagine and that's only the tip of the iceberg as they seemed to make up entire calls against CGY just to control the momentum.

Maybe the reffing tonight sways a smidge in your guys' direction tonight, maybe it doesn't as I don't really know since I'm as biased for my team as you guys are for yours and I'm willing to accept that sometimes officials miss calls. But that game last week had me convinced the fix was in for big American teams (no surprise, the other worst reffing performance I've seen this season was in stark favor of the Kings).

ANyways that was a fun game guys. Would have been more interesting with Krejci, Giordano, Connolly, Bennett. Maybe next year :)

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Look, if you take out the city of Calgary from the equation, there are a heck of a lot more Bruin fans in Canada than Flame fans.

For anyone to even suggest the league wants Calgary in and Boston out is pretty funny.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
More ref excuses. Awesome. Will be the reason for many that we lose. Pathetic, but predictable. Maybe it's because this team has no offensive creativity, a horrible defence and the most predictable coach in the league. Nah, gotta be the refs.

Did you even watch the game tonight?

I don't complain about the reffing much, but they were definitely a factor in the game tonight, whether you like it or not.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
With due respect, the NHL seems to have much more vested interest in screwing Canadian teams over as the fans are diehards regardless of decades of mediocrity. Tonight had a lot of calls period both way and I can understand your position, but it was nowhere near as one-sided as the absolute robbery the Rangers got away with against the Flames just three games ago. We're talking a game where the Rangers supposedly didn't commit a single penalty despite some of the most blatant tripping and interference you can imagine and that's only the tip of the iceberg as they seemed to make up entire calls against CGY just to control the momentum.

Maybe the reffing tonight sways a smidge in your guys' direction tonight, maybe it doesn't as I don't really know since I'm as biased for my team as you guys are for yours and I'm willing to accept that sometimes officials miss calls. But that game last week had me convinced the fix was in for big American teams (no surprise, the other worst reffing performance I've seen this season was in stark favor of the Kings).

ANyways that was a fun game guys. Would have been more interesting with Krejci, Giordano, Connolly, Bennett. Maybe next year :)

I have had time to cool off and process this game and think about what you just said from another fans view per say with Rangers game you speak of.I think I overreacted accusing the league of being bias.But in defence of my rant somewhat I have watched Bruins get short end of stick constantly.Last year Boston had a league leading 117 points yet finished at bottom in powerplay chances.That is pretty well impossible without help if you ask most.Anyways thankyou for your very kind insight and I apologize to your fans for tarnishing your win.

Last edited:

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Look, if you take out the city of Calgary from the equation, there are a heck of a lot more Bruin fans in Canada than Flame fans.

For anyone to even suggest the league wants Calgary in and Boston out is pretty funny.

I did not say nothing about Boston out.I said Canadian teams in playoffs.But anyways i cleared that up .I was a tad hot about game..Still alot of times shorthanded.The NHL stinks compared to what is was.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
This game just shows the skill that is slowly being drawn from these players. All that pounding to dump the puck and cycle has these players confused now when they need to use their skill. Team is full of third liners. It doesn't surprise me. Even Bergeron is painfully to watch in the shoot out. Granted the puck was bouncing, it wasn't in Edmonton. It also points to the goalies being so big. There isn't too much to shoot at. They say they shrunk the goalies. Not sure. I think if you skate fast enough, you can make a goalie move and score, but that takes skill and imagination. Something they are taking away slowly in today's game, let alone Boston. Frustrating to watch these guys shoot. Bunch of drones. To blame the shootout is rediculous. They've had time to adapt like every team. It's the players.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
This game just shows the skill that is slowly being drawn from these players. All that pounding to dump the puck and cycle has these players confused now when they need to use their skill. Team is full of third liners. It doesn't surprise me. Even Bergeron is painfully to watch in the shoot out. Granted the puck was bouncing, it wasn't in Edmonton. It also points to the goalies being so big. There isn't too much to shoot at. They say they shrunk the goalies. Not sure. I think if you skate fast enough, you can make a goalie move and score, but that takes skill and imagination. Something they are taking away slowly in today's game, let alone Boston. Frustrating to watch these guys shoot. Bunch of drones. To blame the shootout is rediculous. They've had time to adapt like every team. It's the players.

you say team is full of "third line grinders" yet claim they "need to use their skill"?? Little confusing

Biggest issue is there`s little team speed, they can`t play run and gun style

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Lack of finish/firepower.... We were talking about that before the trade deadline. I'm correct?

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
you say team is full of "third line grinders" yet claim they "need to use their skill"?? Little confusing

Biggest issue is there`s little team speed, they can`t play run and gun style

Wrote it wrong. In general a players needs skill and imagination to be successful. I wasn't saying the Bruins players in general because some of these guys have stone hands. I was comparing their players to regular players. Came off wrong.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Lack of finish/firepower.... We were talking about that before the trade deadline. I'm correct?

The lack of finish this team has is such a detriment. Its like pulling teeth at the dentist. You can really see it in shootout competition. I just keep thinking of the Max Pacioretty break away goal against the Bruins this year and how effortless he made that look.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
More ref excuses. Awesome. Will be the reason for many that we lose. Pathetic, but predictable. Maybe it's because this team has no offensive creativity, a horrible defence and the most predictable coach in the league. Nah, gotta be the refs.

Can we stop with the refs ? We should have won 6-3 in regulation..were just snake bit.

I dunno about this line of thinking.

We had 2 power plays immediately cut short by at least one bad call, and one fairly questionable one. All that time on the PK still means you're 100 feet from the other net for a long time. The two calls on Calgary were a puck sent flying into the stands, and a moment where the Flames must have had 8 guys on the ice. That's it. And yet our guys were tripped, obstructed and interfered with numerous times, sometimes blatantly. Like any hockey game, I don't even mind if you put the whistles away. But if you do, you can't call that interference on Spooner for example. Not when Marchand is being hooked and hauled down on clear net drives. I just want a game called the same on both sides of the ice. And in a game of inches it matters. Specially when they score 2 PP goals and get some momentum back after we started strong.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
He is young and dumb.

Energy, speed, skill, but all nerves no vision.

He's having a down year and nothing more. I think people need to realize this is only his second full season in the league and this was bound to happen.

I was hoping he'd get a few games upstairs but Connolly got hurt. Once Soupy is back, I'd sit Smith then.

I'd move Ferlin up and have Soupy slide to the wing with Kelly and Talbot.

Once Krejci is back, Soupy sits.

ProdigalFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 2, 2011
Mansfield, MA
I've never seen the B's involved in so many shootouts as this season. We used to be good enough to win in regulation or in a strong OT push, thus avoiding the SO for the most part. So our lack of finish there didn't hurt us as much, especially with a sure thing in Seguin.

As someone mentioned, our style of play doesn't work in the SO, either dump 'n chase, or carry in, curl back, and pass to the point. We just aren't used to seeing our guys go end to end maintaining puck possession and getting a shot off. The rust on the players in those situations is so obvious.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I would love to see this.....But in reality it would probably take too long to get all his equipment off to take one shot and then get back in the net.......

Just needs to change gloves, helmet and stick. I played with goalie who when we
did break aways would jump in. Skated with his goalie pads and skates.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I dunno about this line of thinking.

We had 2 power plays immediately cut short by at least one bad call, and one fairly questionable one. All that time on the PK still means you're 100 feet from the other net for a long time. The two calls on Calgary were a puck sent flying into the stands, and a moment where the Flames must have had 8 guys on the ice. That's it. And yet our guys were tripped, obstructed and interfered with numerous times, sometimes blatantly. Like any hockey game, I don't even mind if you put the whistles away. But if you do, you can't call that interference on Spooner for example. Not when Marchand is being hooked and hauled down on clear net drives. I just want a game called the same on both sides of the ice. And in a game of inches it matters. Specially when they score 2 PP goals and get some momentum back after we started strong.

They haven't been playing well enough to enjoy the benefit of the ref/bad call excuse.

They aren't losing games because of officiating. They are losing games because they aren't playing well.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins shouldn’t have even been in shootout
Claude Julien used a pedestrian but accurate word to describe his feelings toward the shootout. It also applied to his players’ performance in the regular-season comedy show that decides what 65 minutes of real hockey cannot.

The Bruins stink, to paraphrase their coach, in the shootout, which also stinks. They lost to the Flames in the clown contest on Thursday, 4-3. Their first six shooters shot blanks against Karri Ramo. Ryan Spooner and Torey Krug, their first two gunners, lost the puck off their blades.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...ootout-loss/fBadMXObMHAxcRoQGqdMVJ/story.html

Bruinz33

Feb 13, 2014
Southern, NH
I don't get it in the shootout why are we shooting Bergeron in the 7th round if we shoot him where he usually shoots in the 3rd round we win the game. I just don't agree with that shootout line up last night.

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
I agree that the refs were calling it really tight, but you can't blame officiating for this loss. Bart and Smith took some really lazy penalties in particular and the Bs got burned.

The effort in the shootout was abysmal, but the Bruins didn't play a bad game overall. More net drive was needed. They also squandered too many garde A opportunities, and Tuukka gave up that unfortunate bad rebound. It was pretty wide open out there. A team like TB or NYI would've put up a six pack.

Some great performances from a lot of the forwards though despite the lack of finish:

Loui
Marchand
Bergy
Pasta
Spooner

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
I always book a Shootout as an automatic loss for our team. Our performance in shootouts is so pathetic it is laughable. You know the way our Powerplay used to be a joke? Well our shootout 'unit' is a joke right now. We just don't have the skilled shootout types to compete in that format. So we better win it in regulation and/or the first OT period.

bruinsfan001

Apr 2, 2010
I honesty have no faith in this team. The roster needs to be gutted and the team identity needs to be rebuilt. The recent signings make me want to watch this team even less which isn't saying much. Several years ago when the team was actually strong and competitive I would never miss a game. I think I barley made it through the 1st period in this game before I turned it off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad