GDT: Flames (33-25-7) @ Lightning (40-19-5) 2PM MT SNW

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm not sure I agree with the criticisms here. The Backlund line has been hotter than the top line lately. Tkachuk had been playing the shift before, so Backlund and Mangiapane needed to more forwards added.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
I'm not sure I agree with the criticisms here. The Backlund line has been hotter than the top line lately. Tkachuk had been playing the shift before, so Backlund and Mangiapane needed to more forwards added.
Gaudreau, Anderson, Giordano and Tkachuk were all having good games as well, call the timeout and keep those 4 out there with Backs and Mang.
No matter which way you spin it, when you have a timeout left and an offensive zone face-off with 50 seconds left, Lucic, Bennett and Hanifin SHOULD NOT be out there when you're trailing by a goal.

Reactions: Tofveve

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Gaudreau, Anderson, Giordano and Tkachuk were all having good games as well, call the timeout and keep those 4 out there with Backs and Mang.
No matter which way you spin it, when you have a timeout left and an offensive zone face-off with 50 seconds left, Lucic, Bennett and Hanifin SHOULD NOT be out there when you're trailing by a goal.

Six of one, though. If you take a timeout, their tired guys get refreshed.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
We deserved to get blown out, we didn't have a scoring chance until the 3rd period by my count. Besides our 2 goals which shouldn't have gone in.

Very frustrating team to watch and the coach doesn't know what a time out is.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Not sure why you try to spin this...you take the timeout and put your best players out there, especially when your best player is asking for it. Any amateur coach would know that.

He committed a fireable offense. Lucic? Give me a break. What is the f***ing chance lucic was going to score. It's not 2010.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Not sure why you try to spin this...you take the timeout and put your best players out there, especially when your best player is asking for it. Any amateur coach would know that.

He committed a fireable offense. Lucic? Give me a break. What is the f***ing chance lucic was going to score. It's not 2010.

Meh, this hyberbole is much more ridiculous than Ward's choice. The Gaudreau line failed to generate a single dangerous chance on the shift prior, despite being in the zone. Switching them for our best players recently and gaining the fatigue advantage was absolutely a valid choice.

Ironically, the situation that Lucic got with the puck at the top of the circle and the defence standing off him was the most dangerous situation we managed to create during those last couple of shifts.

Reactions: Janks

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Meh, this hyberbole is much more ridiculous than Ward's choice. The Gaudreau line failed to generate a single dangerous chance on the shift prior, despite being in the zone. Switching them for our best players recently and gaining the fatigue advantage was absolutely a valid choice.

Ironically, the situation that Lucic got with the puck at the top of the circle and the defence standing off him was the most dangerous situation we managed to create during those last couple of shifts.
Lucic would not score even if it's an empty net. He is a filler not someone you put out there in the last seconds...as matter of fact, he would be the last forward I would put out there. This is 100% ward trying to kiss ass or have no clue.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver and Nashville lost. One of Edmonton or Winnipeg is going to lose....the damage of this loss is not too bad

But of course Florida is in a slump, pretty sure we are the medicine they need.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Watching the highlights now, that is an insulting effort by Andersson and Jankowski on the 3rd Tampa goal.

Got the momentum back on your side and you let them walk in for an easy goal two shifts later because you can't be bothered to stop a routine breakout.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
What I don't understand is why the Flames are playing Rieder so much when they have Czarnik down of the farm scoring 14 goals in 28 games and 17 assists to go along with that.
Did he make a pass at Treliving's wife?

This organizations mishandling of Czarnik is bizarre. A RHS with top 6 scoring ability (IMO), exactly what we need. He's not perfect but he's gotta be better than nothing.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
What I don't understand is why the Flames are playing Rieder so much when they have Czarnik down of the farm scoring 14 goals in 28 games and 17 assists to go along with that.
Did he make a pass at Treliving's wife?

From the perspective of Flames' rationale:

"Rieder is crucial to our penalty kill, Czarnik doesn't PK"

From the perspective of anyone sane

"We have plenty of guys who can PK, having someone who can create offense would help much more"

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
From the perspective of Flames' rationale:

"Rieder is crucial to our penalty kill, Czarnik doesn't PK"

From the perspective of anyone sane

"We have plenty of guys who can PK, having someone who can create offense would help much more"
He's a UFA this summer and I doubt he has any interest in re-signing with the Flames. He's probably counting the days till he's free from this organization. Terrible handling by Treliving... especially this year when the Flames have been so offensively challenged for most of the season. It's just baffling.

Alan Quine (48 pts in 38 games for the Heat) is a UFA and he'll probably walk too.

Just a numbers game I guess. No room for either those players with Reider and Rinaldo taking up roster spots.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
He's a UFA this summer and I doubt he has any interest in re-signing with the Flames. He's probably counting the days till he's free from this organization. Terrible handling by Treliving... especially this year when the Flames have been so offensively challenged for most of the season. It's just baffling.

Alan Quine (48 pts in 38 games for the Heat) is a UFA and he'll probably walk too.

Just a numbers game I guess. No room for either those players with Reider and Rinaldo taking up roster spots.

Quine is going to get paid and probably get his jersey retired by whoever signs him this offseason.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
There's something to be said for doing what's best for you... I think most coaches would use an opportunity such as that to take a timeout and get their best players on the ice. Ward screwed up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad