GDT: FLAMES (29-13-6) vs. JETS (22-19-8) 2 p.m. MT | TV: Sportsnet West | RADIO: Sportsnet 960

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Ideal solution is replacing Lewis with Phillips

Top line
2nd line
Phillips - Monahan - Toffoli
Lucic - Ruzicka - Dube

That's 4 lines you can roll and all can score

Why are Phillips and Dube playing on opposite wings? Or am I wrong and is Phillips a RHS LW?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Why are Phillips and Dube playing on opposite wings? Or am I wrong and is Phillips a RHS LW?
Dube has played RW and I wanted to put Pelletier in Phillips spot but I don't believe he would get the first shot at it.

Phillips is natural center I'm not sure what he has played in the AHL but I've seen him play all 3 spots in the WHL

Reactions: Fig

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
Lewis is fine for what he is. Not like he’s playing over his head or not playing well. Leave the kids on the farm and let them win down there. The difference between Phillips and Lewis isn’t so great that Phillips would benefit from time up here rather than top line duty in the ahl

Reactions: Fig

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Lewis is fine for what he is. Not like he’s playing over his head or not playing well. Leave the kids on the farm and let them win down there. The difference between Phillips and Lewis isn’t so great that Phillips would benefit from time up here rather than top line duty in the ahl

The idea is to get Dube and lucic together because they play their best hockey together and give Monahan and toffoli a play making winger which Lewis is not. I have to disagree that Phillips or Pelletier isn't a significantly better offensive player

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
The idea is to get Dube and lucic together because they play their best hockey together and give Monahan and toffoli a play making winger which Lewis is not. I have to disagree that Phillips or Pelletier isn't a significantly better offensive player

If that’s the case move Dube to C on the 4th line, put rudzicka on the third and pick whoever to be the centre of that line. Lewis hasn’t done anything to deserve a demotion. 10-0 aside, the team is playing well, don’t mess with the chemistry

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
If that’s the case move Dube to C on the 4th line, put rudzicka on the third and pick whoever to be the centre of that line. Lewis hasn’t done anything to deserve a demotion. 10-0 aside, the team is playing well, don’t mess with the chemistry

You could put Monahan at lw but it wouldn't be as effective as making Lewis the 13th forward imo especially because Toffoli is able to pk very effectively

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I was just thinking how the ideal 4th line is something around Lucic - Ruzicka - Dube, with how Ruzicka and Dube compliment each other offensively, pre-established Dube/Lucic chemistry, and getting Lucic away from the Monahan and Toffoli foot speed stuff feels natural. But then the major issue is supplementing speed, and exemplifies the need for a fast, offenisve top 9 forward to some extent. Lewis works fine as the 12th forwad but he can be upgraded on. Maybe there's some way to get speed with that line/swapping the middle six around, but an ideal roster is very close to achievable.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
There's a better chance Darry Sutter adopts Eric Francis than there is of him taking Lewis out of the line up

If Bradley acquired another forward, it's Dube that comes out of the lineup

Last edited:
Reactions: Tofveve

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
How can you be sure that the difference between Lewis and Pelletier or Phillips isn’t that great based on how they’ve progressed and how well they’re doing this year?
Pelletier-Ruzicka-Toffoli
Lucic-Monahan-Dube

seems like a big upgrade to me compared to

Lucic/Dube-Monahan-Toffoli
Lucic/Dube-Ruzicka-Lewis

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Dube has played RW and I wanted to put Pelletier in Phillips spot but I don't believe he would get the first shot at it.

Phillips is natural center I'm not sure what he has played in the AHL but I've seen him play all 3 spots in the WHL

I don't think Phillips has played much, if any C in the AHL, purely wing.

I'd like to see some combo of:

Mangi-Monahan-Toffoli (more actual secondary scoring)
Dube-Backlund-Coleman (speed plus defensive unit)

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I don't think Phillips has played much, if any C in the AHL, purely wing.

I'd like to see some combo of:

Mangi-Monahan-Toffoli (more actual secondary scoring)
Dube-Backlund-Coleman (speed plus defensive unit)

Monahan can only slow down Mangi and Toffoli

Monahan should be on the 4th line, same with Lucic but they can’t be together, hence the dilemma

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Monahan can only slow down Mangi and Toffoli

Monahan should be on the 4th line, same with Lucic but they can’t be together, hence the dilemma

Maybe, maybe not.

4th line has felt like it was struggling period the past half dozen games. Lotta shifts hemmed in, even when it was still Ruzicka on that line with them.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Mangiapane has had really good chemistry with Monahan but I'd be hesitant to split him from Backlund

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
How can you be sure that the difference between Lewis and Pelletier or Phillips isn’t that great based on how they’ve progressed and how well they’re doing this year?
Pelletier-Ruzicka-Toffoli
Lucic-Monahan-Dube

seems like a big upgrade to me compared to

Lucic/Dube-Monahan-Toffoli
Lucic/Dube-Ruzicka-Lewis

I can’t be 100% sure but I don’t think you bring someone up from the AHL 2/3 through the season and expect them to be an upgrade when they have never played in the NHL. It’s why you don’t see it very often across the league.

Do I hope they are going to make the jump and succeed? Absolutely. Would I rather them play all year in the AHL and use them next year out the gate so any growing pains are done in the first part of the season rather than when we are chasing a good seeding in the standings at the end of the year? Yes, yes I do.

Team chemistry is legit one of the biggest things, and with the way the team has been playing I don’t know if you mess with that by removing Lewis.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad