GDT: FLAMES (22-26-3) vs. SENATORS (22-27-5) - the "it's almost over" edition

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I reckon the Flames playoffs chances are 1/100

giphy.gif

Just need the Habs to lose and the Flames fate is in their own hands!

Seriously though, if the Habs lose I might have to look at what the odds are for the Flames to make it. Might be worth putting $20 down just for the lols. :laugh:

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

23Monahan

Jul 2, 2018
Nice finally dominate the sens in time for us to place 8th and get the worst possible pick while not making the playoffs in classic flames fashion

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Unsurprisingly, Monahan looked much better as a 3rd line left winger. Wasn't chasing the play nearly as much and seemed to have much more time and space to make plays.

He's got only 5 points in 12 games since being separated from Gaudreau, going pointless in all but 3 of those games. But that's not terrible production from a 3rd line winger - I think he could have some more success if the team facilities that role transition.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Baffling this team is not mathematically eliminated from playoff contention yet. They have been horrible this season.

Gawdin kind of reminds me of Glencross for some reason.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Unsurprisingly, Monahan looked much better as a 3rd line left winger. Wasn't chasing the play nearly as much and seemed to have much more time and space to make plays.

He's got only 5 points in 12 games since being separated from Gaudreau, going pointless in all but 3 of those games. But that's not terrible production from a 3rd line winger - I think he could have some more success if the team facilities that role transition.
That’s not a fair assessment of Monahan being away from Gaudreau at all, him and Mangiapane have looked great together he’s just been tied to the boat anchor that is Brett Ritchie for most of that time. To put it in perspective, according to dobber sports Gaudreau hasn’t managed a point all season when Ritchie is on the ice, so 5 in 12 from Monahan sounds pretty fantastic considering the circumstances.

To really drive home how much Ritchie sucks the offense out of a line, from what I can tell he has only managed to be standing on the ice for 7 goals for all season despite how much time he gets stapled high in the lineup.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
That’s not a fair assessment of Monahan being away from Gaudreau at all, him and Mangiapane have looked great together he’s just been tied to the boat anchor that is Brett Ritchie for most of that time. To put it in perspective, according to dobber sports Gaudreau hasn’t managed a point all season when Ritchie is on the ice, so 5 in 12 from Monahan sounds pretty fantastic considering the circumstances.

To really drive home how much Ritchie sucks the offense out of a line, from what I can tell he has only managed to be standing on the ice for 7 goals for all season despite how much time he gets stapled high in the lineup.
It's consistent with his production away from Gaudreau his entire career...

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
It's consistent with his production away from Gaudreau his entire career...
I know you cling to that per 60 argument like it’s your ace in the hole, but doesn’t just the lineup right now show you one of the many reasons per 60 numbers have as much contextual importance as how most people see +/-? When Gaudreau and Monahan get separated, Gaudreau gets put with our best forward this season in Lindholm and Tkachuk who had also outproduced him this season until that point, while Monahan gets given Ritchie or Ryan? Gaudreau produced like a non-NHLer with one of them, yet you’d use this same situation as proof in this vendetta against Monahan?

Not to mention as most people love to point out Monahan and Gaudreau never got split until this season, so most of those numbers are probably statistical noise from delayed line changes and getting lines back in order after PP/PKs.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I know you cling to that per 60 argument like it’s your ace in the hole, but doesn’t just the lineup right now show you one of the many reasons per 60 numbers have as much contextual importance as how most people see +/-? When Gaudreau and Monahan get separated, Gaudreau gets put with our best forward this season in Lindholm and Tkachuk who had also outproduced him this season until that point, while Monahan gets given Ritchie or Ryan? Gaudreau produced like a non-NHLer with one of them, yet you’d use this same situation as proof in this vendetta against Monahan?

Not to mention as most people love to point out Monahan and Gaudreau never got split until this season, so most of those numbers are probably statistical noise from delayed line changes and getting lines back in order after PP/PKs.

Tkachuk had not outproduced Gaudreau at any point of the season. And the sample size of them not playing together is nearly 2000 minutes. Monahan is completely reliant on Gaudreau, you shouldn't even need the numbers to see this, but they are there.

Good on Sutter for realizing that Monahan was holding back the team's best scorer, and to try him out on the wing when he's really not a center.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Baffling this team is not mathematically eliminated from playoff contention yet. They have been horrible this season.

Gawdin kind of reminds me of Glencross for some reason.

he was excellent last night. Looked like an NHLer. Let’s see if he keeps it up

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Tkachuk had not outproduced Gaudreau at any point of the season. And the sample size of them not playing together is nearly 2000 minutes. Monahan is completely reliant on Gaudreau, you shouldn't even need the numbers to see this, but they are there.

Good on Sutter for realizing that Monahan was holding back the team's best scorer, and to try him out on the wing when he's really not a center.
I’ll argue this point by point.

Saying tkachuk hasn’t out produced Gaudreau is blatantly untrue. Until 12 games ago when Gaudreau and Monahan got separated, Tkachuk had more points and even more even strength points (Monahan was also outproducing Gaudreau 5v5 at that time too).

2000 minutes over 7 seasons now (532 games) is a small sample size when it’s that spread out. For example, if once a game Gaudreau goes for an early change but Monahan gets caught out for only 15 seconds before he can change, thats 133 of those minutes already. That situation happens endlessly in game situations. Another example is this 12 game stretch would account for over 10% of that total time, with Monahan getting time with Ritchie and Ryan. You think it’s an indictment on Monahan when he can’t produce much with Ritchie when Gaudreau can’t at all?

How about the 30 games over four separate playoffs sample size in the playoffs where Gaudreau’s production suffers, yet Monahan’s doesn’t drop much at all and he out produces Gaudreau?

Another point is the fact that Gaudreau also hasn’t improved Tkachuk or Lindholm’s pace much at all since playing with them despite Gaudreau putting up numbers like he used to.

There’s no arguing the fact Monahan is having a bad offensive season. But per 60 stats don’t do much to prove he depends on Gaudreau, and there are plenty of examples of him doing well without Gaudreau or while Gaudreau is struggling to disprove it.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I’ll argue this point by point.

I will as well.

Saying tkachuk hasn’t out produced Gaudreau is blatantly untrue. Until 12 games ago when Gaudreau and Monahan got separated, Tkachuk had more points and even more even strength points (Monahan was also outproducing Gaudreau 5v5 at that time too).

You're right, I forgot that after a Sutter's first 14 games Tkachuk was able to catch Gaudreau because #13 was playing dump and chase hockey with Monahan and Ritchie. My fault.

2000 minutes over 7 seasons now (532 games) is a small sample size when it’s that spread out.

I didn't include Monahan's rookie season in my calculations, but adding that in there and the total sample for Monahan without Gaudreau at 5v5 is over 2,613 minutes.

For example, if once a game Gaudreau goes for an early change but Monahan gets caught out for only 15 seconds before he can change, thats 133 of those minutes already.
I've heard this excuse too much, so let me dispute it once and for all. So let's only include games where Monahan played at least half of his 5v5 time without Gaudreau.

Of the 2,613 minutes Monahan has played on his own, 2,107 minutes were logged in games where at least 50% of Monahan's 5v5 ice time was without Gaudreau - meaning he played the majority of the game without him. In that 2,106 minute sample, Monahan's xGF% is 45.55 and his xGF/60 drops to 1.86.

I've grouped on ice xGF metrics for Monahan in the table below based on the % of his 5v5 time he shared with Gaudreau. You can see that no matter the share of time he spends with Gaudreau, he gets completely dominated on his own.

You can see clearly how his productivity plummets when he doesn't spend a majority of his 5v5 time with Gaudreau. Note this is total productivity for the game regardless of whether he was with Gaudreau at the time of or not:

That situation happens endlessly in game situations. Another example is this 12 game stretch would account for over 10% of that total time, with Monahan getting time with Ritchie and Ryan.

He's only played 146 mins 5v5 in the last 12 games, far less than 10% of the sample.

He's also spent most of that time with Andrew Mangiapane on his wing.

First 5 games with Mangiapane and Dube (scored 1 5v5 goal and 1 empty net goal)
6th game with Mangiapane/Gaudreau and Ritchie (scored on Gaudreau setup, had a PP assist, and empty net assist)
7-8th games with Mangiapane and Gaudreau
9-11th games with Mangiapane and Ritchie
12th game with Ryan and Ritchie

You think it’s an indictment on Monahan when he can’t produce much with Ritchie when Gaudreau can’t at all?

Apparently this is news to you, but Monahan does not have a point in the last 12 games with Ritchie on the ice...

Monahan's 5 points in the last 12 games is comprised of

1 EN goal
1 EN assist
1 PP secondary assist
2 5v5 goals (one from Gaudreau, one from Mangiapane)

Monahan literally has 2 5v5 points in the last 12 games, one of them was set up by Gaudreau and the other was in his first game without Gaudreau on a play completely setup by Mangiapane and Dube.

How about the 30 games over four separate playoffs sample size in the playoffs where Gaudreau’s production suffers, yet Monahan’s doesn’t drop much at all and he out produces Gaudreau?

Monahan and Gaudreau both have 4 5v5 points in the playoffs, and Monahan gets to benefit from things that Gaudreau does, like this:

NHL Live Games Video & Streaming Schedule | NHL.com

Monahan also has more EN points than Gaudreau, and doesn't get shadowed around the ice by the other teams top defenders.

Another point is the fact that Gaudreau also hasn’t improved Tkachuk or Lindholm’s pace much at all since playing with them despite Gaudreau putting up numbers like he used to.

Dude what the heck are you talking about? Check out their 5v5 scoring paces with and without Gaudreau this year:

Lindholm with Gaudreau:
G/60: 1.39 (0.63 without)
P/60: 2.17 (1.76 without)

Tkachuk with Gaudreau:
G/60: 0.78 (0.52 without)
P/60: 3.13 (1.47 without)

There’s no arguing the fact Monahan is having a bad offensive season. But per 60 stats don’t do much to prove he depends on Gaudreau, and there are plenty of examples of him doing well without Gaudreau or while Gaudreau is struggling to disprove it.

Show me an example of Monahan doing well at 5v5 without Gaudreau or while Gaudreau is struggling. Remember last year when they tried to put Gaudreau with Lindholm and Tkachuk, but after 2 games of Monahan getting caved in they had to abandon that experiment?

You can chalk it up to randomness or small samples but the fact that he's been so remarkably consistent in his struggles to produce at 5v5 without Gaudreau leads me to believe otherwise:

His best year without Gaudreau was his rookie year, where puck luck significantly boosted his goal totals - he had 18 5v5 goals vs 8.47 expected goals. And even with that great puck luck, he was never able to breach 1.5 p/60 without Gaudreau.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad