GDT: FLAMES (21-24-3) vs. OILERS (29-16-2) 7 p.m. MT | TV: Sportsnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Just thinking out loud here, but you know how teams often struggle after a layoff or a bunch of unimportant games? If we manage to pull this off and face the Leafs in round 1, they are going to be facing both of those.

If the Playoffs start 2 day after the last game of the season, that would leave the Leafs sitting for a week, plus 3 weeks without a meaningful game.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Just thinking out loud here, but you know how teams often struggle after a layoff or a bunch of unimportant games? If we manage to pull this off and face the Leafs in round 1, they are going to be facing both of those.

If the Playoffs start 2 day after the last game of the season, that would leave the Leafs sitting for a week, plus 3 weeks without a meaningful game.
I honestly don't think the Leafs beat anyone in a 7-game series tbh. And I'd love the opportunity to send them packing early

BudRobinson53

Sep 5, 2020

I ono, how about Leafs and their Bluejays-esque 4 man starting goalie rotation, doesn't that scare you just a little?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Let's just keep winning and see what happens - absolutely no one to fear in this division (well, if your the Flames, maybe the Sens scare the ____ out of you, but no one else should)

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Wish this team would stop winning and acting like there’s an actual chance of doing anything.

Montreal’s not good, but they’re good enough to get a bunch of loser points down the stretch, and Calgary’s not good enough to put together a 5 game streak or anything.

Cant wait for a shit draft pick again in a crapshoot draft outside the top 1/3 of the first.

BudRobinson53

Sep 5, 2020
Wish this team would stop winning and acting like there’s an actual chance of doing anything.

Montreal’s not good, but they’re good enough to get a bunch of loser points down the stretch, and Calgary’s not good enough to put together a 5 game streak or anything.

Cant wait for a shit draft pick again in a crapshoot draft outside the top 1/3 of the first.

At this point, and frankly only 1 game prior in losing to Montreal, where we had a legit shot of that 4th playoff spot, it will be hard to lose enough to affect the lottery balls in our favor more than a few percentage points.

Compare us to Ottawa or Vancouver who were clearly out of this race long ago, but kept picking up points and with each win they: 1) Still are not good enough to make the playoffs
2) Never had a chance of a post-season birth after about game 15

At least we had that chance to be in it for most of the season, spare these last 10+ games.

It's really hard, unless your name is the Buffalo Sabres, to have good core pieces but absolutely lose games consistently, enough to affect your draft standing

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Flames in general have been unlucky af too. Look at their goal differential and their place in the standings. Below 500 yet only a -9 (canucks have a similar record and is a -24).

Flames have pissed away a ton of 1 goal games, have had untimely goaltending at some really key moments, and also Ottawa. Woof.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015

If we're gonna tank, tank after every single last one of the management team is given their marching orders. I have zero desire to watch us mishandle another top 7 pick

Reactions: FlamesForever12

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
We are definitely not picking top 8. Cossa, Swedishgoalie I forget his name, Lambos, McTavish, Sillinger, Lucius, Lysell. My guess is we end up with one of those players but once we are in the middle tier it is way harder to predict.

Lambos or Lucius would be my pick. Give Sutter one of his style players who actually doesn’t suck *cough* Richie *cough* Robinson *cough* Nesterov

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
We are definitely not picking top 8. Cossa, Swedishgoalie I forget his name, Lambos, McTavish, Sillinger, Lucius, Lysell. My guess is we end up with one of those players but once we are in the middle tier it is way harder to predict.

Lambos or Lucius would be my pick. Give Sutter one of his style players who actually doesn’t suck *cough* Richie *cough* Robinson *cough* Nesterov

If you're drafting to give Darryl a Darryl style player just fold the franchise

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
If you're drafting to give Darryl a Darryl style player just fold the franchise

No you missed my point. Darryl likes big strong fast types. You draft guys who are going to be that type of player but only if they have skill. Chaz Lucius is literally a goal a game player in junior, but he plays with edge. Is that a bad thing? Lambos was considered a potential first overall before the season. He’s a huge dropper cause he’s been injured. He very well could be the Jacob Chychrun of this years draft. What I mean is give him players that he’ll actually play that are actually talented.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
No you missed my point. Darryl likes big strong fast types. You draft guys who are going to be that type of player but only if they have skill. Chaz Lucius is literally a goal a game player in junior, but he plays with edge. Is that a bad thing? Lambos was considered a potential first overall before the season. He’s a huge dropper cause he’s been injured. He very well could be the Jacob Chychrun of this years draft. What I mean is give him players that he’ll actually play that are actually talented.
BPA only. no type

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
BPA only. no type

well I see tiers. To me we are in the third tier of thise 5ish players. The fact I think Lucius (RHS) and Lambos (D) fill bigger needs gives me the advantage over those other guys. I also think they have the best potential of that group.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

You draft the player you feel will have the best NHL career that is available. You do not draft for position, you do no draft for handedness and you sure as shit don't draft for a coach that very likely won't still be around when the player is ready to make an impact.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
You draft the player you feel will have the best NHL career that is available. You do not draft for position, you do no draft for handedness and you sure as shit don't draft for a coach that very likely won't still be around when the player is ready to make an impact.

I agree. Don’t forget I was the guy that had Stutzle over Byfield and Laf.

But I also had Lundell over guys like Perfetti and Rossi which looks like a no brainer now even though he was consistently ranked from 12 to as low as 18. The perception was that he is a two way forward therefor he must just be some plug with no hands.

I also was pretty high on Holloway last year at 19 who sone people were dead set against because of his stat line. He was 17 playing in the NCAA with limited PP time...

Jake Sanderson is another example. On HF he was a huge reach because of his stat line. But if you actually watch the kid play you can see he’s going to be a top pairing D all day long.

There is a reason there is a Rob Schremp that drops every year. To me BPA on HF is basically synonymous with ‘how many points did they put up in junior’.

People forget that BPA is still subjective. People hear Lucius is gritty so they assume he’s got no hands but they overlook he’s scoring at a goal per game pace. Lambos didn’t even play this year. Lysell may be better but there is no guarantee that he is automatically better just because he’s the prototypical small skilled guy in that range. You need skill in all rounds, but in round one it doesn’t hurt to get skill AND two way play or skating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad