**Flames 2013 Off-Season Plan Thread Part 2**

Aug 3, 2010
My point is, people on these boards seem to know what's going to happen, when the truth is nobody knows until it happens. It seems that it's fashionable to be as negative as possible. This process is a lot more enjoyable by anticipating the growth the team can make as opposed to putting down every conceivable move before its made. Anyway, sorry for the rant. Just my two cents. That and a bus pass will get you on the subway.

Cheering on the team has no bearing on how realistic a fan's expectations should be.

It's not even my argument to make since you were quoting FR, but personally speaking, I've accepted that the Flames are not competitive. I'm still hella excited for their future plans and still excited to see their games. I'm just not expecting them to win, even though I want to see Calgary succeed. I don't know what's so wrong with that. Hope for the best, expect the worst, get everything in between.

At the end of the day, there's no real formula for how a fan "should be". Every can cheer in their own way... even DFF. :sarcasm:

I'm currently of the opinion that Flames should be going after roleplayers and minor reclamation projects. The team needs positive role models who work hard for their contract, bring positive presence to the ice and the locker room, and should be in the age range of 24-30 to promote youth and growth while still emanating a certain sense of maturity. None of the players I want the Flames to sign would be game-breakers (I'm happy they didn't tie money or term up into Lecavalier).

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Look, I come in peace. I just get tired of hearing how the Flames are screwed before Free agency even starts. The core of the team is changing. The exciting part is seeing how the new core will develop, and how quickly. Leaders will emerge. It could take 10 years, they may make the playoffs this year.

The team that takes the ice could be a complete car wreck, or Monahan could make the team out of camp and he and Baertchi could have chemistry of Gretzky/Kurri proportions.

My point is, people on these boards seem to know what's going to happen, when the truth is nobody knows until it happens. It seems that it's fashionable to be as negative as possible. This process is a lot more enjoyable by anticipating the growth the team can make as opposed to putting down every conceivable move before its made. Anyway, sorry for the rant. Just my two cents. That and a bus pass will get you on the subway.

I'm rooting for the playoffs, and I'd be willing to spend money this free agency to find some band-aid players to help us get there. All because I want to rub it into the Oilers that we could do it in one year.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Cheering on the team has no bearing on how realistic a fan's expectations should be.

It's not even my argument to make since you were quoting FR, but personally speaking, I've accepted that the Flames are not competitive. I'm still hella excited for their future plans and still excited to see their games. I'm just not expecting them to win, even though I want to see Calgary succeed. I don't know what's so wrong with that. Hope for the best, expect the worst, get everything in between.

At the end of the day, there's no real formula for how a fan "should be". Every can cheer in their own way... even DFF. :sarcasm:

I'm currently of the opinion that Flames should be going after roleplayers and minor reclamation projects. The team needs positive role models who work hard for their contract, bring positive presence to the ice and the locker room, and should be in the age range of 24-30 to promote youth and growth while still emanating a certain sense of maturity. None of the players I want the Flames to sign would be game-breakers (I'm happy they didn't tie money or term up into Lecavalier).

I think the crux of the problem is statements like this. While not meant with any intent, I'm sure, acceptance is usually something that is reserved for inevitabilities or current truths. I think that there is something to be said for replacing that sort of statement with "I've accepted that the Flames are probably not competitive." That usually won't rub people the wrong way.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Seeing as Philly will need cap space if they want to sign a goalie what about Jackman + 5th for Meszaros (basically a cap dump and we hope he cans stay healthy.)

Brodie - Gio
Wideman - Meszaros
O'Brien - Butler
Cundari

looks pretty solid.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Seeing as Philly will need cap space if they want to sign a goalie what about Jackman + 5th for Meszaros (basically a cap dump and we hope he cans stay healthy.)

Brodie - Gio
Wideman - Meszaros
O'Brien - Butler
Cundari

looks pretty solid.

This too. I think there's lots of ways to get a top 4 defensemen this year. Feaster needs to get it done

Aug 3, 2010
Backlund Bozak Stajan Monahan would definitely become an interesting mix of centre depth. It's like running 3 second lines and one third line (with potential to become three second lines and one first line centre).

More worried about money/term for Bozak but I suppose the Flames have yet to hit the cap floor. 3 years, no NMC/NTC and unknown dollar amount (he'd be getting paid well enough) would be what I'd hope for, as Bozak is 27 years of age and not 100% proven to me.

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
My personal pre free-agency plan:

Free-agent signings:

Mason Raymond- 2 years 5.5 million
Keith Ballard- 2 years 5 million
Kris Russell- 3 years 6 million

Forwards Lines:

Glencross - Stajan - Stempniak

This is the veteran/defensive line. This line had a lot of chemistry last year and should at least be able to tread water against a teams big guns. Not the sexiest line, but it should get the job done. (15-18 min per night)

Cammalleri - Backlund - Hudler

While the Stajan line should take on most of the difficult lines, it should allow the skilled line to do its thing. This line is the most offensively talented line we have and should match up against teams 2nd lines. (18-20 min per night)

Baertschi - Knight - Raymond

This is the swiss army knife line. Skill, defensive awareness and speed, the line should be able to create mismatches due to its unique skill sets. (12-14 min per night)

Galiardi - Horak - Jones

The psuedo-4th line. A ton of speed mixed with Horaks defensive awareness. It should give other teams 4th lines fits. (10-12 min per night)

Defense pairings

Brodie - Wideman

The top pairing. Tj showed last year he can handle big minutes on the back-end. His offensive creativity would mesh well with Widemans shot. Wideman is solid in the defensive zone, but aweful one-on-one, Brodies recovery speed can help hide that weakness. (20-25 min per night)

Giordano - Ballard

Giordano should be a stabilizing force to Ballards riskier play. Both Giordano and Ballard provide physicality and skating ability. (20-25 min per night)

O'brien - Russell

Adequate third pairing. O'brien adds some nastiness to the lineup while Russell is a decent 3rd pairing puck moving defenseman. (10-15 min per night)

Goaltending

Kari Ramo

Defacto number one. He has the highest upside and will be the highest paid goalie on the roster.

Joey Macdonald

Veteran back-up. Can be counted upon as he has his entire career to settle in the back-up role.

The lineup isn't all that impressive. There is a severe lack of first-line talent on the roster and unfortunately there really isn't any available during free-agency. The teams best course is to build as deep a roster as possible with cheaper-short term contracts. This line-up gives the Flames a nice mix of size, speed and skill. The defense is certainly better than last year. This team will likely not be a playoff team, but it shouldnt be an embarrassment like the roster the Flames ran out at times last season.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Look, I come in peace. I just get tired of hearing how the Flames are screwed before Free agency even starts. The core of the team is changing. The exciting part is seeing how the new core will develop, and how quickly. Leaders will emerge. It could take 10 years, they may make the playoffs this year.

The team that takes the ice could be a complete car wreck, or Monahan could make the team out of camp and he and Baertchi could have chemistry of Gretzky/Kurri proportions.

I honestly don't think we'll be any worse than last year. Unless of course we get a repeat in the goaltending department. Even with replacement level goaltending we come close to a playoff spot. If Kipper had been in the upper end of goalies we'd have made in in a bottom seed. The numbers bear this out.

We'll miss JBo, even though I hated him. We won't miss Iginla, even though I loved him. I think Cundari is an upgrade on Smith and SOB an upgrade on Sarich. Bartschi should be an upgrade on Cervenka and Galliardi for Comeau is a wash. Tanguay is a little better than Jones (a lot better offensively, but only a bit all around), but Jones could bounce back potentially and if he returns to the 20-30 goal guy he's been we win there.

I think it all hinges on goaltending. If it is brutal, we're probably looking at a top 5 pick. If it's exceptional we could finish in the 8-10 slot. I think it'll be somewhere between those extremes and we're looking at a 5-10 pick and another year out of the post-season.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I honestly don't think we'll be any worse than last year. Unless of course we get a repeat in the goaltending department. Even with replacement level goaltending we come close to a playoff spot. If Kipper had been in the upper end of goalies we'd have made in in a bottom seed. The numbers bear this out.

We'll miss JBo, even though I hated him. We won't miss Iginla, even though I loved him. I think Cundari is an upgrade on Smith and SOB an upgrade on Sarich. Bartschi should be an upgrade on Cervenka and Galliardi for Comeau is a wash. Tanguay is a little better than Jones (a lot better offensively, but only a bit all around), but Jones could bounce back potentially and if he returns to the 20-30 goal guy he's been we win there.

I think it all hinges on goaltending. If it is brutal, we're probably looking at a top 5 pick. If it's exceptional we could finish in the 8-10 slot. I think it'll be somewhere between those extremes and we're looking at a 5-10 pick and another year out of the post-season.

Maybe they do, maybe they don't, I'm not certain. What I do know, though, is that watching the games, I found myself blaming stupid defensive zone play a lot more than the goalies when we let in a goal. I think this can be corrected by a full training camp to teach the system, and the sense of team unity which is fostered by a youth movement.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Brodie - Gio
Wideman - Meszaros
O'Brien - Butler
Cundari

looks pretty solid.

Take the 5th out. I have a feeling that if teams were allowed 3 buyouts, that Mez would be on that list too. We would be doing them a solid in that deal and they would like Jackman in Philly.

Mez may not play a lot, but I'd probably move Jackman for him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
From the Qualifying offer thread on the trade board. These are the lists of guys that were not given qualifying offers and the list of guys who are not confirmed if they received one or not.

NOT QUALIFIED
ANA: Marco Cousineau, G; Ryan Parent, D; Josh Brittain, LW; Matt Kennedy, RW;
BOS: Kaspars Daugavins, RW; Michael Hutchinson, G;
BUF: Jacob Lagace, RW; Drew Schiestel, D;
CGY: Brady Lamb, D; Bryan Cameron, C; Akim Aliu, RW; Gaelan Patterson, C;
CAR: Justin Krueger, D {Signed in Switzerland}; Luke Pither, C; Joe Sova, D; John Muse, G; A.J. Jenks, RW; Andreas Nodl, LW;
COL: Aaron Palushaj, RW;
CBJ: Allen York, G; Colton Gillies, LW; Theo Ruth, D; Steven Delisle, D; Patrick Killeen, G;
DAL: Tom Wandell, C {Signed in KHL}; Richard Bachman, G; Tyler Beskorowany, G; Matt Tousignant, LW; Jace Coyle, D;
DET: Thomas McCollum, G;
EDM: Theo Peckham, D; Colten Teubert, D; Alex Plante, D; Philippe Cornet, LW;
FLA: Peter Mueller, RW; Jack Skille, RW; Zach Hamill, C; Brendon Nash, D;
LAK: Keaton Ellerby, D; Stefan Legein, RW; David Kolomatis, D;
MIN: Joel Broda, C; Benn Ferriero, LW;
MTL: Yannick Weber, D; Ian Schultz, RW; Joe Stejskal, D;
NAS: Jeremy Smith, G; Matt Halischuk, RW; Jonathon Blum, D;
NJD: J.S. Berube, LW; Matt D'Agostini, RW;
NYI: Shane Harper, RW; Brandon DeFazio, LW;
NYR: Michael Sauer, D; Jyri Niemi, D {Signed in Finland}; Nick Palmieri, RW;
OTT: Louie Caporusso, RW;
PHI: Blake Kessel, D; Mitch Wahl, LW;
PHX: Scott Arnold, RW;
PIT: Keven Veilleux, RW;
SJS: Tommy Grant, LW; Thomas Heemskerk, G;
STL: Paul Karpowich, G; Brett Sonne, C; Anthony Nigro, RW; Jay Barriball, LW; Stefan Della Rovere, RW;
TBL: Brendan Mikkelson, D; Benoit Pouliot, LW; Alex Hutchings, LW; Pat Nagle, G;
VAN: Prab Rai, C; Derek Joslin, D;Stefan Schneider, C;
WAS: Mattias Sjogren, C {Signed in Sweden}; Danick Paquette, RW; Dustin Stevenson, D;
WPG: Jason Gregoire, LW; Will O'Neill, D; Chris Carrozzi, G; ; Maxime Macenauer, C;

NO WORD YET
BOS: Colby Cohen, D {Signed in Finland};
CHI: Nick Leddy, D; Drew LeBlanc, C; Kyle Beach, LW; Ryan Stanton, D; Max Sauve, C; Shawn Lalonde, D; Joe Lavin, D;
COL: Tomas Vincour, RW {Signed in KHL}; Mike Connolly, C; Brad Malone, LW; Joel Chouinard, D; Luke Walker, LW {Signed in KHL}; Geoff Walker, RW;
DET: Brent Raedeke, RW;
NAS: T.J. Brennan, D; Chet Pickard, G; Daniel Bang, RW; Juuso Puustinen, LW {Signed in Finland}; Jack MacLellan, RW; Ben Ryan, C;
PHX: Maxim Goncharov, D {Signed in KHL}; ; Mark Louis, D;
STL: Jani Lajunen, RW {Signed in Finland};
TOR: Spencer Abbott, LW; Tyler Brenner, RW; Mark Owuya, G; Kevin Marshall, D; Joe Colborne, C;

Of those listed there are a few I think are worth signing to a one year two-way deal to give them a chance to compete for a job. I have put them in bold, for now I am assuming all those who we have no word on yet will be qualified.

So that would be:
  • Jonathon Blum [RD] Age: 24 Ht: 6'1 Wt: 190
    • Why?: If he is unable to make the club he would be a significant asset for the Heat who are currently lacking in offensive/offensive puck moving defensemen, they also lack experience in their top 4.
  • Stefan Della Rovere [RW] Age: 23 Ht: 5'11 Wt: 200
    • Why?: This would be more or less a signing for teh Heat to give them some toughness, he migth not be big but he is physical and gets under the skin of the opponent, needs that desperately need to be addressed on Abbotsford, An AHL contract would be ideal of he is willing.
  • Keaton Ellerby [LD] Age: 24 Ht: 6'4 Wt: 220
    • Why?: Big, physical and mean. He is a younger version of SOB. He is only 1 of 2 in this group I would be willing to give a 1-way deal and the only I would consider giving a 2 year contract.
  • Zach Hamill [C] Age: 24 Ht: 5'11 Wt: 180
    • Why?: Former 8th overall pick in 2007, has shown he can produce at the AHL level. Low risk signing with potential to pay off.
  • Theo Peckham [LD] Age: 25 Ht: 6'2 Wt: 234
    • Why?: Like him or not he made it tough to play against, honestly I am a little surprised he never got a qualifying offer from the Oilers. At worst he would be a good veteran addition to the Heat who's defense corps is extremely inexperienced.
  • Jack Skille [RW] Age: 26 Ht: 6'1 Wt: 215
    • Why?: Former 7th overall pick in 2005, has shown he can produce in the AHL and can play a bottom 6 role in the NHL while producing moderately. Low risk signing with potential to pay off.
  • Yannick Weber [RD] Age: 24 Ht: 5'11 Wt: 193
    • Why?: Call me crazy but acquiring a 24 year old RH defenseman that recorded 30 points in in 60 games in the 2011-12 season. Then under the new coach in Montreal he just never got the chance to play as he only dressed for 6 games. At worst he brings a little excitement to what should be a pretty poor season. He is the other player I would be willing to risk a 1-way contract on if it came to it.

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
No to Theo Peckham. Dude is Dustin Byfuglien without the skill (Im talking about off-season training). The guy has no commmitment to stay in shape, I do not want him on my team around young players.

Add Matt Halischuk to the list of players I am interested in. What happened to the guy, he had 15 goals the season before the lockout.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
this is surprising? He was even a healthy scratch in the AHL during the post season.

Well that's just because they didn't want to overwhelm him. After playing in Edmonton, the coaches obviously didn't want the poor kid to get confused with what "post season" meant.

:sarcasm:

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Grabovski is on waivers and will be bought out by Toronto.

I've generally bashed most of the centers brought up in this thread as I didn't feel that they fit the direction of this team (Ribeiro, Briere, Lecavalier) or were just flat out not worth their demands (Bozak), but I do have a feeling Grabovski could be a decent fit here. He's a playmaking center and is a gamer. He was well overpaid on his last contract meaning we could probably offer him less and still get him to come here. I would think he falls into that "pre-apex" category (he's 29) and would give us some depth down the middle.

Thoughts? Not advocating it or bashing the idea, just want to put it out there.

Gary83*

Heard chatter on FAN960 that Raymond and Flames are close to a deal. Not sure if it's true, couldn't find any reputable tweets.

Aug 3, 2010
Grabovski is on waivers and will be bought out by Toronto.

I've generally bashed most of the centers brought up in this thread as I didn't feel that they fit the direction of this team (Ribeiro, Briere, Lecavalier) or were just flat out not worth their demands (Bozak), but I do have a feeling Grabovski could be a decent fit here. He's a playmaking center and is a gamer. He was well overpaid on his last contract meaning we could probably offer him less and still get him to come here. I would think he falls into that "pre-apex" category (he's 29) and would give us some depth down the middle.

Thoughts? Not advocating it or bashing the idea, just want to put it out there.
Depends on dollar/term. Though I prefer Bozak, Bozak is going to get paid. I don't see Grabovski as anything but a fringe second-line centre on a below-average team.

Also, not sure how I feel about Raymond. Another left winger? Who does he replace?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Heard chatter on FAN960 that Raymond and Flames are close to a deal. Not sure if it's true, couldn't find any reputable tweets.

Not a fan if true. Too many wingers as it is.

Also, big, big pass on Bozak. Guy is terrible defensively, no better than, if not worse than Stajan offensively and wants a ~5M over 8 years. He'd be a buyout candidate next year if signed.

Wouldn't mind Grabovski on a one or two year deal however. Could role with Backlund-Grabovski-Stajan-Knight down the middle then. Surprising he was bought out; I guess the leafs have a centre lined up ready to sign tomorrow morning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad