**Flames 2013 Off-Season Plan Thread Part 2**

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Clarkson is a more sought after FA than Iginla this offseason. How much money would you be willing to throw at him to get him to sign here, 6, 6.5, 7+ million? I'd take Clarkson any day over Horton and Horton will get around 6. We all need to face the facts that we won't be signing top FA's for at least 2 seasons. Our best options are to acquire a young piece via trade.

Valid point

My other plan would be bargain basement guys on one year deals with something to prove that if they don't work out we cut them loose on waivers or minors.

So scratch Clarkson and sign Kurtis Foster, Anthony Stewart and Nik Antropov just to have a few veterans in camp for depth/competition.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
Clarkson is a more sought after FA than Iginla this offseason. How much money would you be willing to throw at him to get him to sign here, 6, 6.5, 7+ million? I'd take Clarkson any day over Horton and Horton will get around 6. We all need to face the facts that we won't be signing top FA's for at least 2 seasons. Our best options are to acquire a young piece via trade.

You think Clarkson will get more than Horton? I really don't see that. Clarkson is a leave-it-all-on-the-ice type player, a player that we could really use to mentor the young guys.. but no way he deserves even $5M a year. He's a 3rd line grinder and a damn good one. I'd offer Clarkson $4M for 4 years tops.

More sought after than Iggy? Depends on who you're asking I guess.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I'll try to keep this as realistic as possible.

[fieldset="2013 Roster"]
Trades:
Mike Cammalleri (50% retained; 3M) + Chris Butler (1.2M; signed as RFA) to San Jose for TJ Galiardi (1.25M; signed as RFA), Jason Demers (1.5M; signed through 2013), and 2014 2nd Round Pick.

Re-Sign:
Mikael Backlund (1.5M)
TJ Brodie (1.2M)
Mark Cundari (900K)
Karri Ramo (950K)

FA Signings:
Vincent Lecavalier (22M for 3 years; AAV of 7.333M)
Andrew Ference (7M for 2 years or 10.5M for 3 years; AAV of 3.5M)

FORWARDS
Curtis Glencross ($2.550m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($7.333m) / David Jones ($4.000m)
Sven Baertschi ($1.425m) / Mikael Backlund ($1.500m) / Lee Stempniak ($2.500m)
Jiri Hudler ($4.000m) / Matt Stajan ($3.500m) / T.J. Galiardi ($1.000m)
Roman Horak ($0.805m) / Max Reinhart ($0.878m) / Tim Jackman ($0.613m)

DEFENSEMEN
Dennis Wideman ($5.250m) / Mark Giordano ($4.020m)
T.J. Brodie ($1.200m) / Andrew Ference ($3.500m)
Shane O'Brien ($2.000m) / Jason Demers ($1.500m)
Mark Cundari ($0.900m) /

GOALTENDERS
Joey MacDonald ($0.925m)
Karri Ramo ($0.950m)

RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (4.666% of upper limit)
Mike Cammalleri ($3.000m—50.0%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $53,349,250; BONUSES: $996,250
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $11,947,000
[/fieldset]

Just a terrible lineup. I tried to stay realistic though. UFAs aren't going to want to sign here, and I'm pretty bad at estimating amounts we'll sign/re-sign players for. At least I hit the cap floor, lol.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
You think Clarkson will get more than Horton? I really don't see that. Clarkson is a leave-it-all-on-the-ice type player, a player that we could really use to mentor the young guys.. but no way he deserves even $5M a year. He's a 3rd line grinder and a damn good one. I'd offer Clarkson $4M for 4 years tops.

More sought after than Iggy? Depends on who you're asking I guess.

Yes I do, there isn't a team in the NHL that doesn't want Clarkson, so I think he'll get more interest over Iggy. Regarding Horton, they basically score at the same rate now. Except Clarkson doesn't have serious injury concerns and does every other aspect of the game better than Horton. Clarkson may get 4-5 from some team and sign there, but for him to come here it would cost us to break the bank.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
Yes I do, there isn't a team in the NHL that doesn't want Clarkson, so I think he'll get more interest over Iggy. Regarding Horton, they basically score at the same rate now. Except Clarkson doesn't have serious injury concerns and does every other aspect of the game better than Horton. Clarkson may get 4-5 from some team and sign there, but for him to come here it would cost us to break the bank.
Well this last season they had basically the same amount of points, but every year prior Horton out-scored Clarkson by quite a margin. (Not including Hortons 2011-12 half season).

Clarkson is not a better skater, shooter or passer. Not even close. Clarkson is harder worker and has far better board play and work ethic. Probably because he's not afraid of injury like Horton. But they are 2 very different players. I still think Horton gets more just from his offensive upside. Clarkson is a 3rd liner and will always be one. Anyone who pays more than $4M is overpaying drastically. The Flames could afford it.. not sure if I want them to.

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
Anyone else notice how many UFA Defencemen are former Flames?

Leopold, Hamrlik, Montador, White, Pardy, Hannan, Aucoin, Ference, Lydman.

Funny how life works sometimes.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Well this last season they had basically the same amount of points, but every year prior Horton out-scored Clarkson by quite a margin. (Not including Hortons 2011-12 half season).

Clarkson is not a better skater, shooter or passer. Not even close. Clarkson is harder worker and has far better board play and work ethic. Probably because he's not afraid of injury like Horton. But they are 2 very different players. I still think Horton gets more just from his offensive upside. Clarkson is a 3rd liner and will always be one. Anyone who pays more than $4M is overpaying drastically. The Flames could afford it.. not sure if I want them to.

Clarkson is no slouch in skating. I'd say their shots are very comparable but Horton is a better passer. Hortons injuries have affected his production and I don't think he'll be a 60 pt player ever again. Your looking at a 40-55pt guy which is basically what Clarkson is now.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Anyone else notice how many UFA Defencemen are former Flames?

Leopold, Hamrlik, Montador, White, Pardy, Hannan, Aucoin, Ference, Lydman.

Funny how life works sometimes.

There's a reason some of those guys are FAs. Most are truly on their last legs now lol.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Anyone opposed to taking a chance on Halischuk? Not qualified by Nashville, plays RW... could be worth a shot.

He's developed well in all my NHL 13 franchises where I acquire him ;)

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I still wonder if Jeff Schultz is worth taking a risk on. Caps fans sure are happy he's being bought out. I dunno..

If he's signed to a deal that allows him to be stashed in the minors if he continues to suck (< $900,000 or whatever) then I'm okay with it.

Weren't Caps fans also ecstatic that they were able to rid themselves of Wideman?

bWo*

Schultz is terrible, glad to have him off the caps and do not want him on the flames

Flamer4

May 29, 2013
Peter mueller was not qualified by Florida
He could be a nice pick up in calgary at 3-4 mil

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
As per Dreger, Clarkson is supposedly looking for 6-6.5M per. Bozak wants 8yrs and just under 5M per.

I think it would be best for the Flames just to stay clear of free agency entirely this year. Lot's of bit players seeking massive over payments.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
As per Dreger, Clarkson is supposedly looking for 6-6.5M per. Bozak wants 8yrs and just under 5M per.

I think it would be best for the Flames just to stay clear of free agency entirely this year. Lot's of bit players seeking massive over payments.

O god that much for 2nd/3rd line players :laugh:

Makes me like getting Jones and Galiradi for what we did.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
O god that much for 2nd/3rd line players :laugh:

Makes me like getting Jones and Galiradi for what we did.

Are these guys ****ing crazy?
I understand the benefit of a Clarkson... But the hell. Making the money of top liners.
Bozak is just lol. I wouldn't have minded signing him, but defs not at that length.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Well its a good thing we pretty much have a full roster :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad