GDT: FLAMES (20-14-9) @ STARS (21-18-3) | 12 p.m. MT - Saturday, Jan. 14 | TV: Sportsnet | RADIO: Sportsnet 960 The FAN

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
Raz. 1 Goal, 1 Assist. -4
Some odd stats there.

I hope you're alright moving forward. I have an Apple watch series 7 with helps with watching your heart rate.
Also has blood oxygen, ECG. Keep your eye on your health my friend.
Thank you good sir. My Fitbit Sense does all that as well. I even send certain watch ECGs to a paid third party app for interpretation (takes 10 mins to get a comprehensive response from an ECG tech). The watch is also supposed to catch afib episodes which I'd never been diagnosed with until late October, but never has.

Suddenly at rest my heart went from its regular 50bpm while laying on the couch (low for most normal for me) to over 200bpm in seconds. It's terrifying. Not only was it going that fast but it was also throwing those PVCs in the mix every 2-4 beats so the rhythm was really wonky and I felt like I would pass out. Ended up in the er and they diagnosed me with paroxysmal (random bouts) afib and I had to sign a waiver to be put unconscious so they could shock my heart back into normal rhythm via cardioversion. Months of blood thinners and 1 month of heart meds followed. Heart med made me waaaaay too tired. I'd only be able to speak for 5-10 seconds before being winded nevermind actually going outside to run an errand or something. It got my heart down to 32bpm at one point. Low even for me. So they took me off that and when I suffer an SVT/afib ep now I use a modified Valsalva maneuvre to restart my heart's rhythm. Those intense episodes aren't daily thankfully. More like once a week or two but are exhausting. 200bpm heart is no joke. Trying to be rational during and doing the appropriate steps to calm it is tough. Better than always hitting up Emerg. I get the "benign" PVCs thousands of times a day. They're more annoying than debilitating but do make me never want to leave my couch. Getting up to make a sandwich causes them, hitting the head causes them it's all very silly. And now blown Flames leads causes them too haha.

So far all tests say my heart is fine did another echo recently so waiting on those results. Cardiologist not worried in the slightest. Ablation in the future perhaps but I'd need more of a PVC burden consistently for an electrophysiologist to sign off on it. It's high for me but the thousands a day isn't quite 20% of all beats as I'll go hours without them after 12 hrs with them every 3-4 beats. Been playing w electrolyte balances, vitamins to try and sort things. Vit d, magnesium bisglycinate and potassium my latest targets to improve.

Anyway, didn't intend to hijack the thread. Thanks again for your kind wishes.

Last edited:

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Good thing we have all those defensively oriented forwards to help us shut down games :rolleyes:
Not necessarily talking about this game specifically, but Kadri has surprised me the most in this regard. His offensive game has been a lot more dynamic than I was expecting, but I’m not seeing the defensively responsible player he’s constantly billed as so far. The Kadri-Mangiapane combo was a disaster, but even still I wouldn’t call his defensive play that great. Hopefully it’s still just him figuring out how to play Sutter’s style.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Vladar really got the Markstrom treatment from the Flames in this one.

That fifth goal had like five different errors from the time the puck was dumped in. Like five Flames skaters choosing the absolute worst option in their actions.

Anyway, that's five in a row without a real loss, but this team sure knows how to make it not feel that way.

It was bound to happen to be honest. Also, for the most part, I wish Markstrom got the goal support that Vladar does. Vladar, if I did my math right, has at least .5 goals per game more in terms of goal support on average in games started.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I hated that 2nd Dallas goal and so did Sutter. That changed the game. But we held on late with some desperate defence with the empty net. Hopefully a game this group can look to the rest of the season.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Vladar really got the Markstrom treatment from the Flames in this one.

That fifth goal had like five different errors from the time the puck was dumped in. Like five Flames skaters choosing the absolute worst option in their actions.

Anyway, that's five in a row without a real loss, but this team sure knows how to make it not feel that way.
But the stats don't lie, Vladar is the better keeper right now.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
He reminds me so much of TJ Brodie's bad years. Sketchy AF. Dr Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde. You don't know which one is going to show up from one shift to the next or even within shifts.

Brodie's bad years were poor puck luck, he was always awesome. And it was really just one bad regular season, which he was turning around towards the end before a concussion ended his season

Hanifin on the other hand is just frustrating. His highs aren't as high as the numbers seem to suggest and his lows are highlighted against fast, skilled teams as he can't coast by on his physical tools and lacks a second gear.

There is no player on this roster I wouldn't love to trade as soon as #58 is back. Hanifin is the weakest link on our roster.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Brodie's bad years were poor puck luck, he was always awesome. And it was really just one bad regular season, which he was turning around towards the end before a concussion ended his season

Hanifin on the other hand is just frustrating. His highs aren't as high as the numbers seem to suggest and his lows are highlighted against fast, skilled teams as he can't coast by on his physical tools and lacks a second gear.

There is no player on this roster I wouldn't love to trade as soon as #58 is back. Hanifin is the weakest link on our roster.

To me Brodie had 2 or so bad years with us. I remember him being pretty undependable with lots of erratic play and turnovers. I mean this is going back a few years now and I don't think about it a lot. But he had some strong play while pairing up with Gio a lot, even going as far as some thinking he deserved some Norris consideration. But then IMO his last 2 or 3 years here he was like I said earlier, a really erratic D that committed lots of turnovers and played really small as I saw it. I don't have anything against him but while I think we all missed Gio's departure (and still currently do IMO, he'd be strong for us today), not Brodie as I see it.

Anyhow, I do agree Hanifin is one of our weakest links (not sure if the weakest but yeah I could see that even). I've been saying he's a head-case for awhile now in my more frustrated moments. I guess I just stopped concentrating on him. But again I saw Brodie a lot this way too in his last couple of years here. Yeah I'd package Hanifin out if we can for sure.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

Says this while Lucic is on our second line.

Reactions: TheHudlinator

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Thank you good sir. My Fitbit Sense does all that as well. I even send certain watch ECGs to a paid third party app for interpretation (takes 10 mins to get a comprehensive response from an ECG tech). The watch is also supposed to catch afib episodes which I'd never been diagnosed with until late October, but never has.

Suddenly at rest my heart went from its regular 50bpm while laying on the couch (low for most normal for me) to over 200bpm in seconds. It's terrifying. Not only was it going that fast but it was also throwing those PVCs in the mix every 2-4 beats so the rhythm was really wonky and I felt like I would pass out. Ended up in the er and they diagnosed me with paroxysmal (random bouts) afib and I had to sign a waiver to be put unconscious so they could shock my heart back into normal rhythm via cardioversion. Months of blood thinners and 1 month of heart meds followed. Heart med made me waaaaay too tired. I'd only be able to speak for 5-10 seconds before being winded nevermind actually going outside to run an errand or something. It got my heart down to 32bpm at one point. Low even for me. So they took me off that and when I suffer an SVT/afib ep now I use a modified Valsalva maneuvre to restart my heart's rhythm. Those intense episodes aren't daily thankfully. More like once a week or two but are exhausting. 200bpm heart is no joke. Trying to be rational during and doing the appropriate steps to calm it is tough. Better than always hitting up Emerg. I get the "benign" PVCs thousands of times a day. They're more annoying than debilitating but do make me never want to leave my couch. Getting up to make a sandwich causes them, hitting the head causes them it's all very silly. And now blown Flames leads causes them too haha.

So far all tests say my heart is fine did another echo recently so waiting on those results. Cardiologist not worried in the slightest. Ablation in the future perhaps but I'd need more of a PVC burden consistently for an electrophysiologist to sign off on it. It's high for me but the thousands a day isn't quite 20% of all beats as I'll go hours without them after 12 hrs with them every 3-4 beats. Been playing w electrolyte balances, vitamins to try and sort things. Vit d, magnesium bisglycinate and potassium my latest targets to improve.

Anyway, didn't intend to hijack the thread. Thanks again for your kind wishes.
Indeed, that sounds scary. Wishing you nothing but positive and the best possible health moving forwards.

Reactions: flames23

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I wouldn’t say Hanifin is the weakest link on the roster but I feel like his value is high throughout the league and that the team could do worse than moving him while his cap hit is really enticing to contending teams

Like OKG said if/when Kylington comes back moving on from Hanifin becomes even easier

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
I wouldn’t say Hanifin is the weakest link on the roster but I feel like his value is high throughout the league and that the team could do worse than moving him while his cap hit is really enticing to contending teams

Like OKG said if/when Kylington comes back moving on from Hanifin becomes even easier
I don’t think people are really appreciating how much harder the step up is to playing top pair, minute munching role even on a team like ours that’s roles lines mostly. Especially considering our second pair is anchored by Tanev, who historically makes partners look excellent as well and helps whoever he’s with flourish. Friendly reminder that before Kylington looked phenomenal with Tanev, Hanifin made up one of the best pairs league wide with Tanev the season prior, having better fancies on a much worse team than Kylington-Tanev had. Kylington looked very human away from Tanev, and Zadorov is perfectly suited for the role he has now in my opinion, so there’s no guarantee anyone could step up to Hanifin’s role of being the steady partner for Andersson’s style. When Kylington inevitably comes back, I would love to see a D-core of:

Hanifin-Andersson
Kylington-Tanev
Zadorov-Weegar

Our lines are starting to roll as is, and we have prospects pushing for offensive roles anyways. Defensive breakdowns have been our weakness all year, and that would makeup maybe the most solid top to bottom defense in the league. You could deploy all lines equally, and whatever pair is playing worse would be the “third pair” that day while the best would be “first pair”. Zadorov-Weegar was weirdly one of the strongest pairs we have iced this year as well, Zadorov really elevated his game playing with Weegar.

We have had a top 10 offense for 2 months now. For almost a month we have been scoring at a 3.62 goals per game rate, which is better than our team last season scored at. We should be focused on shoring up defensively and making our goalies lives easier, not trading away a player off our top pair and hoping he can be replaced internally.

Last edited:

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I don’t think people are really appreciating how much harder the step up is to playing top pair, minute munching role even on a team like ours that’s roles lines mostly. Especially considering our second pair is anchored by Tanev, who historically makes partners look excellent as well and helps whoever he’s with flourish. Friendly reminder that before Kylington looked phenomenal with Tanev, Hanifin made up one of the best pairs league wide with Tanev the season prior, having better fancies on a much worse team than Kylington-Tanev had. Kylington looked very human away from Tanev, and Zadorov is perfectly suited for the role he has now in my opinion, so there’s no guarantee anyone could step up to Hanifin’s roll of being the steady partner for Andersson’s style. When Kylington inevitably comes back, I would love to see a D-core of:

Hanifin-Andersson
Kylington-Tanev
Zadorov-Weegar

Our lines are starting to roll as is, and we have prospects pushing for offensive roles anyways. Defensive breakdowns have been our weakness all year, and that would makeup maybe the most solid top to bottom defense in the league. You could deploy all lines equally, and whatever pair is playing worse would be the “third pair” that day while the best would be “first pair”. Zadorov-Weegar was weirdly one of the strongest pairs we have iced this year as well, Zadorov really elevated his game playing with Weegar.

We have had a top 10 offense for 2 months now. For almost a month we have been scoring at a 3.62 goals per game rate, which is better than our team last season scored at. We should be focused on shoring up defensively and making our goalies lives easier, not trading away a player off our top pair and hoping he can be replaced internally.

Hanifin is our #3 at ES and is seeing about a 1 minute increase in ice time from last season. He’s our only dman with a below 50% possession rate.

I’ve been a defender at times, but honestly he’s not getting it done in our top 4. Andersson has better possession metrics and is a better point producer, and Weegar-tanev absolutely crush their match ups while playing roughly the same at ES. I wouldn’t be opposed seeing that pair in general get a bit of a cut in minutes at es in favour of Weegar-Tanev.

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Hanifin is our #3 at ES and is seeing about a 1 minute increase in ice time from last season. He’s our only dman with a below 50% possession rate.

I’ve been a defender at times, but honestly he’s not getting it done in our top 4. Andersson has better possession metrics and is a better point producer, and Weegar-tanev absolutely crush their match ups while playing roughly the same at ES. I wouldn’t be opposed seeing that pair in general get a bit of a cut in minutes at es in favour of Weegar-Tanev.
Andersson having better possession metrics despite him and Hanifin playing together exclusively this season should tell you about how small differences in special teams roles have a weirdly large effect on 5v5/even strength possession rates. Together they’re sitting at 53% xG%, which isn’t bad for the role they play and they’ve been much better recently in these terms. Both Andersson and Hanifin have shown better offensive instincts than either of Weegar or Tanev though so far though so they likely won’t get any time cut. Hanifin’s pretty under rated there especially for activating from the point, it’s just a shame he doesn’t have a better shot.

Regardless though, I was pointing out people thinking he’s expendable or even not a top 4 defender based on other players doing well almost exclusively with Tanev. Here’s how Weegar, Kylington, and Hanifin have all looked while playing with Tanev their respective seasons.

Weegar w/ Tanev: 47.1 G%, 55.8 xG%, 58.1% Corsi
Kylington w/ Tanev: 61.5 G%, 57.4 xG%,
54.3% Corsi
Hanifin w/ Tanev: 55% G%, 58.4 xG%
54.7% Corsi

That was with Kylington-Tanev playing on the best team, and Hanifin-Tanev playing on the worst team by far of the bunch. Look up Hanifin-Tanev’s relative values if you’d like, they were utterly insane league wide let alone compared to the other iterations. Hanifin outplayed both Weegar and Kylington in their roles on the second pair with Tanev, their is no guarantee anyone can take his role that he’s playing now. When Kylington is back I’d love to see him reunited with Tanev, and Weegar and Zadorov reunited. You would actually be able to reduce our entire top 4’s minutes that way which would work wonders for long term durability and late season results.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
To me Brodie had 2 or so bad years with us. I remember him being pretty undependable with lots of erratic play and turnovers. I mean this is going back a few years now and I don't think about it a lot. But he had some strong play while pairing up with Gio a lot, even going as far as some thinking he deserved some Norris consideration. But then IMO his last 2 or 3 years here he was like I said earlier, a really erratic D that committed lots of turnovers and played really small as I saw it. I don't have anything against him but while I think we all missed Gio's departure (and still currently do IMO, he'd be strong for us today), not Brodie as I see it.

Anyhow, I do agree Hanifin is one of our weakest links (not sure if the weakest but yeah I could see that even). I've been saying he's a head-case for awhile now in my more frustrated moments. I guess I just stopped concentrating on him. But again I saw Brodie a lot this way too in his last couple of years here. Yeah I'd package Hanifin out if we can for sure.

2015-2016 proved that Giordano missed Brodie more than Brodie missed him especially their WOWY stats.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The memories of sports fans wouldn't make a goldfish envious.

"Trade Hanifin!"

Do you jabronis not remember like two months ago when Nick Disimone, Connor Mackey, Dennis Gilbert and Mike Stone were all playing meaningful minutes for this team? We're a Hanifin trade and an injury from running it back.

If Oliver comes back, I'd really like to see him and Zadorov make a top tier bottom pairing with Stone cycling in every once in a while to keep everyone fresh. Having Stone as your 6/7 guy who can pop in as required is mint... having him play top 4 minutes because your defence is gutted is a death knell for this club. Calgary's recent play has elevated them into a position where a late Jan/early Feb run could have them sitting comfortably in a Pacific spot and make distance between them and the rest of the wildcard teams. I'd rather not gamble it because a stable-yet-vanilla doesn't create enough excitement in my life and we should trade him just to get him off the team.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Hanifin is the second best player at controlling the neutral zone in the NHL behind only Heiskanen.

At times he makes mistakes in his own zone but so does every other D.

He’s not great offensively which is why people hate him cause that’s what fans care about.

Plus he gets really tough matchups which for some reason people never seem to mention. Personally I think facing players like Crosby, McDavid, Pastrnak, etc is harder than facing the Lewis and Richies of the world. But that’s just me

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Crazy thing is he has the ability, but doesn't use it like, ever.
Yeah he’s nothing special offensively and it is frustrating. I don’t understand why he’s on the PP over Weegar. But in totality he’s still a highly effective Dman and has been for 3 straight seasons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad