GDT: FLAMES (13-11-5) vs. CANUCKS (12-13-3) 8 p.m. MT | TV: Sportsnet

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Flames could really use a top line right winger and a bottom pair left D (oh kylington how nice would it be if you came back)

Huberdeau Lindholm ______
Mangy Kadri Toffoli
Coleman Backs Dube
Ruzicka Zohorna Lewis

Really want to see the two Czech monsters play together.

Flames would soon be able to acquire Tarasenko with no retention but not sure the Blues pull the plug this early but he would be a really good fit.

Hanifin Ras
Z Weegar (this looked good tonight)

_______ Tanev

My question would be for the cost in assets it would take what would be the point in adding Tarasenko?

Lets say we add him to the open RW spot you have in that list to me that is not a Stanley Cup challenging team. Maybe it means we can make it out of the first round and try to steal another round if we get lucky but that seems like it would be the ceiling for that team.

Maybe the thought is f it we are already all in but with a weak prospect pool. no really quality young players and the picks we have already given up recently it seems like a chance to stay mediocre for a long time.

You start by saying you dont think treliving has done a bad job, then list all the reasons treliving has done a bad job lmao

When I say bad job I mean Chiarelli, Lowe, Feaster level incompetence. I think that Treliving has made a team that has been ok-ish. He has made some good and bad moves, so isn't in a spot where it is clear that he needs to go because he is terrible.

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
My question would be for the cost in assets it would take what would be the point in adding Tarasenko?

Lets say we add him to the open RW spot you have in that list to me that is not a Stanley Cup challenging team. Maybe it means we can make it out of the first round and try to steal another round if we get lucky but that seems like it would be the ceiling for that team.

Maybe the thought is f it we are already all in but with a weak prospect pool. no really quality young players and the picks we have already given up recently it seems like a chance to stay mediocre for a long time.

When I say bad job I mean Chiarelli, Lowe, Feaster level incompetence. I think that Treliving has made a team that has been ok-ish. He has made some good and bad moves, so isn't in a spot where it is clear that he needs to go because he is terrible.

I agree it’s just that this organization has doubled down on these next couple seasons so it’s now or never. I wouldn’t give up any prospects for him but would think another the first rounder long and hard

23Monahan

Jul 2, 2018

He has not done a good job at all, and if his effort to save his job signed a bunch of 30 years old after career years to 7-8 years for their max value. It seems it is not working and will only push back a much needed rebuild after years of him trading away top draft picks which have mostly resulted in misses.

We arent good enough to win, we arent bad enough to draft high, and dont have the proper prospect pool to fill in much needed gaps over the next couple years, we will be completely up against the cap with an aging win now roster that is just not good enough. We have only won two playoff series total in 8 years since he has been here, and have not built up a team that is going to improve on that. He has a ton of bad signings like brouwer neal and coleman and has missed on quiet a few trades aswell.

You constantly say on here that its not sutters fault and that the team is not good enough, and that we dont have the right players, well treliving is the one who built that. Kind on contradicting yourself on that one.

Reactions: Body Checker

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
He has not done a good job at all, and if his effort to save his job signed a bunch of 30 years old after career years to 7-8 years for their max value. It seems it is not working and will only push back a much needed rebuild after years of him trading away top draft picks which have mostly resulted in misses.

We arent good enough to win, we arent bad enough to draft high, and dont have the proper prospect pool to fill in much needed gaps over the next couple years, we will be completely up against the cap with an aging win now roster that is just not good enough. We have only won two playoff series total in 8 years since he has been here, and have not built up a team that is going to improve on that. He has a ton of bad signings like brouwer neal and coleman and has missed on quiet a few trades aswell.

You constantly say on here that its not sutters fault and that the team is not good enough, and that we dont have the right players, well treliving is the one who built that. Kind on contradicting yourself on that one.

Again I didn't say he did a good job, I said I would be fine firing him, in the summer I said I didn't agree with the direction he took the team, so not sure where you are getting the idea that I am defending him as a good GM.

What is true that he hasn't made only bad moves. He has made some good trades, that doesn't mean he is a good GM it means that it is silly to ignore the good he has done. There are many more GM's, some we have had Feaster, Risebrough, who it is clear are complete shit. He is not at that level.

I agree that he has taken this team to mediocre or slightly better than mediocre. He has had a lot of time and at no point shown the ability to build a team that can compete. Yes we had a few years where we finished high in the standings but even in those years we never looked like a top team or able to compete for the Cup.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
This team needs to go do mushrooms and peyote together in the wilderness or something. Go on a proper spirit quest. They look like they've never seen each other before in their entire lives. It's not even a lack of effort, I mean they're trying, they're just not on the same page whatsoever. Freaking McDavid going 1 on 5 has a better chance of scoring than this team does going 2 on 0 right now. Horrendous execution.

Good : Kadri line I liked, least they were skating and shooting and passing. Y'know professional hockey player things. Mangiapane is just not comfortable on the right side, needs to be moved back to the left. All of Weegar, Andersson, and Hanifin I thought were mostly good. Weegar especially had a nice game, physical and moved the puck well. Dude could maybe score a goal or sumthin idk. 4th line also had it in the right end of the rink most of the time and scored a goal.

Not good : Lindholm and Toffoli, neither could make a pass or get a shot on goal. Going through the NZ at 5mph. Coleman and Backlund lost a lot of battles tonight that vets making the money they are shouldn't be. I missed the first two goals but seemed like Marky was sliding a lot tonight, made some good saves anyways and gave the team a chance to win. Zadorov

Bad : Needs to be said, Ruzicka was crap. Turned it over almost every time he had the puck. Picked up a point but hopefully not a sign of another slide. Huberdeau put every pass into somebody's skates and missed the net 4 glorious opportunities. Jarome Iginla or Johnny Gaudreau he is not. Mackey and Stone are bad and were bad and make me feel bad.

Reactions: Grantham

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Does anyone know if there's bye weeks again this season? I haven't looked at the schedule lately to find out.
This team does need some sort of bonding experience like @Bounces R Way suggested. Sure, include some mushrooms lol. It's just weird that there's very little chemistry out there. I think it's time to shit or get off the pot. Either keep losing, or start winning. Do one or the other. I'd prefer winning, but it really doesn't seem to be our season. So much sloppiness, no discipline, just all around boring, hockey.

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
Spencer Martin is 8-3-1 w a 3.45/.891 split.
Marky is 8-7-3 w a 2.81/.897 split.
Crazy how they have been able to score their way out of bad defence.

If Marky lets in shot #1 we lose. If he doesn't we win. Simple as.
I mean we got close, but simple as is undefeated.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Yeah some bonding is really needed. It also feels like there's no identity. Losing Johnny and Matthew was huge but Mony was sort of that captain-serious-like glue going back nearly a decade. That's quite a hole in the whole machine to fill. Not to mention the loss of Gudbranson who was muscle that could play IMO.

Anyway, I can't quite see who steps up and gives us identity. Don't think the new faces have that cache yet. Maybe it's a Dube but that's pretty tough for a 2nd/3rd line guy who's been playing better as of late. I like Zad too as of late but not sure the Russian giant can carry the mantle.

Reactions: Boomstick

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Yeah some bonding is really needed. It also feels like there's no identity. Losing Johnny and Matthew was huge but Mony was sort of that captain-serious-like glue going back nearly a decade. That's quite a hole in the whole machine to fill. Not to mention the loss of Gudbranson who was muscle that could play IMO.

Anyway, I can't quite see who steps up and gives us identity. Don't think the new faces have that cache yet. Maybe it's a Dube but that's pretty tough for a 2nd/3rd line guy who's been playing better as of late. I like Zad too as of late but not sure the Russian giant can carry the mantle.

• Haha
Reactions: Tofveve

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site

That's why we brought in a guy like Coleman. Stanley Cup Champion, knows how to lead, but in my opinion he's been quite the opposite. Blake rarely steps up and dominates on the ice. But maybe that's not his role. I don't know. Didn't know much about him before he signed here.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
We signed a bunch of players that relied on better players than what we have to produce. Not saying they can't find a way to make it work, but it won't be with this roster. Have the second fiddles. now we need a first chair.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
That's why we brought in a guy like Coleman. Stanley Cup Champion, knows how to lead, but in my opinion he's been quite the opposite. Blake rarely steps up and dominates on the ice. But maybe that's not his role. I don't know. Didn't know much about him before he signed here.

Coleman always seems to give a good effort to me he's just limited in skill and size. Definitely hit the home run with this contract. We'll be lucky if he gets 15+ goals this year (not really lucky for us).

Reactions: Boomstick

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
He's one of the few who have actually shown they give a shit this season. I hope he's taking on a bigger leadership role because he's supposed to be exactly as you describe. Just behind a lot of other leaders in the room last season.

This team desperately needs an identity, and someone should probably be named captain who best reflects that identity.

Like Backlund.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
He's one of the few who have actually shown they give a shit this season. I hope he's taking on a bigger leadership role because he's supposed to be exactly as you describe. Just behind a lot of other leaders in the room last season.

This team desperately needs an identity, and someone should probably be named captain who best reflects that identity.

Like Backlund.
Agreed. I still think Backlund has all of the tools to be Captain. Not only on seniority, but ability. Anything this team has asked for him over the years he's provided.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad