GDT: Flam @ King 8:00 MT, SNET-1 Also nap time start

Status
Not open for further replies.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
They shouldn't sell, but they shouldn't buy. Just let the year play out, see where the chips fall, address stuff in the off season.

They should sell of the UFA's that are not in the teams long term plans. Right now it feels like they are stuck where they have been forever, in no mans land.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
This is such a hilariously hyperbolic statement. The guy is still the leading goal scorer from his draft year. Complain about his usage, what number of center he is if you want. These are valid discussions.

When you say something this ridiculous though, it’s a clue to everyone that you’re simply operating in bad faith, in bias and with an agenda.

You can't be serious lol

Any team would be happy to have Monahan in their top 6. He's a natural goal scorer.

Of all the hot takes, this is certainly one of them. It's completely and utterly incorrect, but I guess everyone has the right to be ignorant.

Intellectually dishonest. It's some weird Gaudreau complex you have that makes you **** on Monahan.

In 5 years, Monahan will be 30-31. With the direction the league is going (faster and faster), it is going to be increasingly difficult for him to be competitive, especially with all the injuries / surgeries he's already had.

Poor skating goal scorers don't have a great track record in this league over the last decade:

Dany Heatley - on his way out of the league at 32/33
Jonathan Cheechoo - out of the league at 30
Dustin Penner - out of the league at 32
Corey Perry - useless by the time he hit 32
Bobby Ryan - 32 and on his way out of the league
James Neal - 32 and is a complete liability at this point - hardly an NHL player last season at 31
Jamie Benn - 30 and has already fallen off significantly
Loui Eriksson - Pretty much useless since 31
Wayne Simmonds - 31 and on his last legs
Kyle Okposo - 31 and on his last legs

Heatley, Perry, and Benn were all significantly better than Monahan and they still didn't make it very far past 30. And the only thing keeping a lot of these guys in the league are their awful contracts.

Do I expect Monahan to be out of the league by 30/31? No. But would it surprise me, based on his play style and historical precedent? Not in the least bit.

5 years from now, Monahan won't be out of the league. But it's probably not a stretch to say he'll follow a similar path to Neal and Lucic in playstyle, rather than someone like Derek Ryan.

And most of the blame'll fall on the team for being content with his game for so long rather than challenging him to improve like MacKinnon or Draisatil were.

This guy gets it.

Last edited:

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
If working hard made you an elite player, guys like Austin Wagner and Zac Rinaldo would be great players. Skill matters, Monahan is and never was going to be as good as MacKinnon or even Drasaitl because he's not that talented.

It's not that deep, Monahan is a hard worker and tries to impact the game in the way he can however his overall skill set is lacking a lot. I don't think he could've found a much better spot than Calgary, a team that needed centers and had an elite winger prospect. I'm not sure he turns into a better player anywhere else, he was good enough at the things he's bad at to excel at the junior level but the NHL is a huge gap and I don't see how he could've improved that much. He can practice skating 10 hours a day over the summer but the dudes never going to be MacKinnon or McDavid same goes for his puck handling (he probably could've improved both of this a bit but theres a level he would need to be at to be a 1C and I don't think he had much of any chance of hitting it).

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Monahan has been shoehorned into the Flames' 1C spot more or less since the day he was drafted. You need a certain skillset and a certain attitude to play 1C effectively in this league and Sean has honestly never really had either. Solid producer, talented player, but I just don't think he's cut out for it.

Kopitar ate him for lunch last night just like he does in 85% of their head to head matchups. That is what 1st line centering should look like. Blaming Sean for his shortcomings in that spot is like getting angry with your dog for not having your laundry folded and dinner on the table when you get home in the evening. He's been punching out of his weight class his whole career and really has done an admirable job of it. As a 2C playing behind an elite center he would be rock solid. It's when Lindholm's or Backlund's line can take on the monsters down the middle and break even that Sean thrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad