GDT: Flam @ King 8:00 MT, SNET-1 Also nap time start

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
The inconsistencies being displayed within this team is nothing short of head scratching.. they don’t deserve to be in a playoff race. If Treliving wastes futures to add a rental to this group he’s a moron.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Don't really know what to say about this one. The injuries were very apparent. Still two points you simply have to have mid February.

They weren't bad but weren't good enough. Stop me if you've heard that before.
I disagree. They were bad. They were kept to the outside too easily and didn't generate more than a handful of good chances all game. The Kings had an easy time breaking up our entries and exiting cleanly. The Flames had a hard time breaking up their entries and a hard time exiting with possession.

Reactions: Janks

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Came home early from work to watch this. Missed the last 2 games and they won. I guess I should not watch and they'll win.
Same thing with Battle of Alberta. I missed the Thursday night shootout win, and watched the drubbing we took on the Saturday.
I watch, Flames lose.
I work, Flames win.

Well, not all of the time. I was at work for the losses last week vs San Jose and Nashville.

Luckily the Flames are pretty dominant in Anaheim, we never lose there. Bahahahahaha! Here comes another 2 game losing streak.
Ugh, I just don't know anymore.

Reactions: Tofveve

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Bubble playoff team is bubble playoff team. They should sell but with the division still up for grabs, that's almost certainly wishful thinking. Hopefully, the first rounder is entirely off the table regardless.

Also, Monahan has just four points in his last 10 games. Ten in his last 20. Hard to be successful when you're number one centre can't produce on his own. Gaudreau for the record, has 18 in his last 20.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Bubble playoff team is bubble playoff team. They should sell but with the division still up for grabs, that's almost certainly wishful thinking. Hopefully, the first rounder is entirely off the table regardless.

Also, Monahan has just four points in his last 10 games. Ten in his last 20. Hard to be successful when you're number one centre can't produce on his own. Gaudreau for the record, has 18 in his last 20.

71st in ES scoring for centres this year according to CP.

He hasn't been good this year. I'm not seeing the "improved 2-way play" either.

Reactions: Gettin Iggy With It

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Monahan has the worst relative metrics of any regular forward on the team. It's not an effort thing he's just not that talented, he's clearly working hard to improve (way more physical) but having poor skating, puck skills and puck protection really holds him back.

He's an elite finisher who turns 26 next season. I doubt he's going to improve significantly.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Monahan has the worst relative metrics of any regular forward on the team. It's not an effort thing he's just not that talented, he's clearly working hard to improve (way more physical) but having poor skating, puck skills and puck protection really holds him back.

He's an elite finisher who turns 26 next season. I doubt he's going to improve significantly.

He'd improve of he were put in the role of a winger with a guy like Barzal down the middle. That's the ideal role for him.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I know I've been saying it for years, but mother of God you guys need to try and trade Monahan. He's just awful.

Wouldn't shock me if he was driven out of the league in the next 5 years.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Really need to tank for a top pick but unfortunately that won't happen.

Half the forwards have no skill and the top line has no gut.
The defense is full of holes. BT went back to stone 3 times. For that alone he should be fired already.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

This is such a hilariously hyperbolic statement. The guy is still the leading goal scorer from his draft year. Complain about his usage, what number of center he is if you want. These are valid discussions.

When you say something this ridiculous though, it’s a clue to everyone that you’re simply operating in bad faith, in bias and with an agenda.

Reactions: HighLifeMan

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I know I've been saying it for years, but mother of God you guys need to try and trade Monahan. He's just awful.

Of all the hot takes, this is certainly one of them. It's completely and utterly incorrect, but I guess everyone has the right to be ignorant.

Reactions: Drop Shock

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
You can't be serious lol

Any team would be happy to have Monahan in their top 6. He's a natural goal scorer.
Unfortunately, he is serious....

Sam gagner is still playing so pretty safe to say Monahan can play for as long as he wants

Any theory on why he stopped scoring after the all-star break? It happens so many times, it's not a coincidence.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
This is such a hilariously hyperbolic statement. The guy is still the leading goal scorer from his draft year. Complain about his usage, what number of center he is if you want. These are valid discussions.

When you say something this ridiculous though, it’s a clue to everyone that you’re simply operating in bad faith, in bias and with an agenda.

Yeah Monohan has had an off year (I though his fight in the BOA would wake him up) but that statement is just wrong. He is a very good player, and can actually score at the NHL level. You do not sell a very good asset after one bad season.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Monahan is 71st in 5 on 5 scoring among centres this year...

Yeah, he hasn’t been good enough. Instead of “tuffness”, he really needed to lose a few pounds and improve his skating. Hasn’t happened and this is the end result.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

Intellectually dishonest. It's some weird Gaudreau complex you have that makes you **** on Monahan.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
5 years from now, Monahan won't be out of the league. But it's probably not a stretch to say he'll follow a similar path to Neal and Lucic in playstyle, rather than someone like Derek Ryan.

And most of the blame'll fall on the team for being content with his game for so long rather than challenging him to improve like MacKinnon or Draisatil were.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
5 years from now, Monahan won't be out of the league. But it's probably not a stretch to say he'll follow a similar path to Neal and Lucic in playstyle, rather than someone like Derek Ryan.

And most of the blame'll fall on the team for being content with his game for so long rather than challenging him to improve like MacKinnon or Draisatil were.

That onus for improvement in on the player though. Draisitl and MacKinnon worked their butts off. I am not saying Monohan is not a hard worker(any guy that makes it to the NHL is a hard worker) but that improvement comes in the offseason.

We had Eberle on the Oilers for a long time and the guy could score at a pretty good clip but his game never changed here at all, that was on him. Much like Monohan.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017

They shouldn't sell, but they shouldn't buy. Just let the year play out, see where the chips fall, address stuff in the off season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad