Confirmed Trade: [FLA/VAN] Olli Juolevi for Noah Juulsen and Juho Lammikko

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Juulsen is interesting.. failed to become a regular in Montreal and Florida, but he also only has 46 games played over the last 3 seasons. That amount of games will stagnate anyone's development. So maybe a slight chance if the next couple years he's healthy and gets a lot of reps, could be a late bloomer there in the end.

Lammikko is meh in my opinion, idk if there's a ton of upside to move up from a depth player/tweener status, but i guess you never know.

Not a bad trade for the Canucks in the moment, but in the big picture depth guys for a 5th overall is a major miss.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
Lammikko is a decent depth forward, Juulsen didn’t really look good at all in camp and preseason games. I was hopeful he would pan out but it just didn’t happen in Florida.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Right handed DFD sounds exactly like what we need. And I assume he skates fairly well? (Atleast better than Schenn). Whats held him back so far?

Likely goes to Abby, but maybe he gets a look.

2 slap shots to the face in the same game, one from Chara. Had a lot of issues afterwards that kept him out for almost 2 seasons. He was on track to being a solid 4d to that point with a bit of upside, the loss of development time (and then not getting game action last year in Florida) really cost him the expected development.

He was solid as a bottom pairing prior to the injury though.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Juulsen is interesting.. failed to become a regular in Montreal and Florida, but he also only has 46 games played over the last 3 seasons. That amount of games will stagnate anyone's development. So maybe a slight chance if the next couple years he's healthy and gets a lot of reps, could be a late bloomer there in the end.

Lammikko is meh in my opinion, idk if there's a ton of upside to move up from a depth player/tweener status, but i guess you never know.

Not a bad trade for the Canucks in the moment, but in the big picture depth guys for a 5th overall is a major miss.

Sucks but is what it is. Alot of people had Juolevi high.

Atleast we got more than we did for Virtanen.

Reactions: Son of Petter

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Can anyone give me quick rundown on Lammiko?
Juho Lammikko is a depth forward who plays solid defense and kills penalties. Zero offense except he scored on terrible backhanders (iirc all 4 of his career goals are on weak backhanders). He has no upside from 4th liner but of the 3 players moved is the only one who you can comfortably play in the NHL as of today.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
2 slap shots to the face in the same game, one from Chara. Had a lot of issues afterwards that kept him out for almost 2 seasons. He was on track to being a solid 4d to that point with a bit of upside, the loss of development time (and then not getting game action last year in Florida) really cost him the expected development.

He was solid as a bottom pairing prior to the injury though.

Seeing these kind of reports makes me think we should give him a shot to play games.

Profiles as the kind of player we need right now, might aswell see if he can get things back on some sort of track.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Whats the story with Juulsen? What does he bring?
He's been derailed by terrible injury luck while on the Habs. It all started with recieving two pucks in the face during the same game. It caused migraines and a temporary loss of sight in one eye. This is the main reason he played very little the last 3 years.

Before that, he was trending to be an NHLer. He has a solid hockey sense, but some claim his lateral mobility would have always held him back. Played in the top-4 at times for the Habs during the 2019-20 season and that's when his injury problems started.

I liked him. A sad story, really. Hopefully, he can rebuild his career in Vancouver.

kij

Jan 31, 2016
I was hoping Toronto would get him. Great pick up for Florida. He's going to be a player once his injuries figured out.
I was hoping Toronto would not get him. That is a terrible market and environment to try and salvage a career. Hell Toronto has had Sandin, Carrick, Liljegren, and Lehtonen hailed as the next great D-men for years and none of them manage to crack the lineup in favor of...*checks notes*...Nikita Zaitsev, Ron Hainsey, and Cody Ceci? Give Juolevi a chance to be something, maybe his rumored video game demons and injuries are behind him. Doubt he will ever be more than a 2nd pairing guy but would be great to see him grow into anything better than his current broken state.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I was hoping Toronto would get him. Great pick up for Florida. He's going to be a player once his injuries figured out.

He's over the injuries, it's a matter of whether he can improve his mobility. If not he can still be a good bottom pair guy.

If he's able to get a bit quicker he could play 2nd pair mins but that's seeming less likely as time goes by. The Canucks were hoping to see that improvement this year & didn't.

Think he's a good pickup though & should play.

Reactions: Vukotal Recall

BrilliantBroReferee

May 18, 2021
How do you finish bottom 3 in 2015-2016 and you get nothing from that draft. I don't think i've ever seen anything like this. Jimbo looks like a Boston double agent. :mad:

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Right handed DFD sounds exactly like what we need. And I assume he skates fairly well? (Atleast better than Schenn). Whats held him back so far?

Likely goes to Abby, but maybe he gets a look.

He actually is pretty similar to Schenn, but hopefully a few less big mess ups. Watched him a lot in the AHL and I was pretty confident he could be a top 6 D. His skating is good but not his forte. He is great at protecting the blueline and doing all the things fans don't notice.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Shamelessly stolen
ezgif-2-8621b9355b95.gif

Last edited:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

Juulsen hasn't gotten a lot of nhl games because he needs to get a ton more ahl games to get his game back first. He missed so much of his post draft developmental years. You stick him in the ahl for a year or two and hope he can turn it around and gain confidence. Aside from the Panthers' top 6, Kevin Connauton, Matt Kiersted, John Ludvig, and Chase Priskie were all ahead of him. And arguably Max Gildon.

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
Juho Lammikko is a depth forward who plays solid defense and kills penalties. Zero offense except he scored on terrible backhanders (iirc all 4 of his career goals are on weak backhanders). He has no upside from 4th liner but of the 3 players moved is the only one who you can comfortably play in the NHL as of today.
This is a good summary of Lammy

Sounds like a good use of a 5th overall pick to Benning, we win!

You guys gave a huge contract to Beagle, he's better than Beagle at least? I like him and if Juolevi and Juulsen continue to bust you win the trade.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia

Our penalty killing was so bad in the pre-season, this is great to read.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad