Confirmed Trade: [FLA/PIT] Bjugstad & McCann for Brassard, Sheahan, 2nd 2019, 4th 2019, 4th 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
What matters to me is this makes the pens better, both this year and next year. A couple of additional fourth rounders is a small price to pay for that.

Sheahan is a decent 4th line center but we have Cullen who's better at that. And Brassard was never a good fit on the third line. One of Bjugstad or McCann can be the 3C and the other can be tried with Malkin/Kessel.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
How do people see this as a win for the Penguins? Moved picks and the best player in the deal. Lost cap space on top of the futures they gave up and would have gotten for Brassard. It’s bad, real bad

Brassard has been dogshit for the Penguins, a complete and total bust. The Penguins are a better team right now than they were last night.

If this is enough to put them over the top...we'll see...but Brassard was not working and I applaud JR for being willing to move a guy he paid a premium for a year ago when it was clearly not working out.

It sucks from an asset management point of view, but that's the cost of going for it every year.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Wait, how are people saying this is a bad deal for the Penguins? That's a fantastic return for them, Bjugstad and McCann for that package is fantastic.
Probably because Bjugstad is a brutal player, far worse than what Penguins anticipate.

What is likely is that Brassard wasn't a fit for the Pens but will net a decent return.

Reactions: Laus723

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Love the fact that Bjugstad is FINALLY gone. Loved the guy at first, but he’s been the most frustrating player on the team. Massive body, doesn’t use it, made of glass

I call him the porcelain giant.

McCann is great defensively, but he has stone hands. Would be nice to see him turn around.

This clears needed cap space, gets rid of deadweight in Bjugstad.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Not really sure what Pittsburgh is doing here.

I did say Brassard didn’t have first round pick value...

Potential to be a really good deal for Florida if they can land Panarin/Bob.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Congratulations, you squeeked into the playoffs in the final Wild Card spot, your reward: Tampa Bay in the 1st round.

Bring brooms.

Didn't people say the same thing to the Kings in 2012? You get the Presidents Trophy winning Canucks in the first round? Interesting? (And no I am not comparing the 2012 Kings to the 2019 Panthers.)

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Has there ever been a trade with more bland and mediocre players involved?

Oh hell yea, two off of the top of my head for the leafs

Phaneuf:

2 016-Feb-09
Traded from Toronto Maple Leafs with Matt Frattin, Ryan Rupert, Casey Bailey and Cody Donaghey to Ottawa Senators for Jared Cowen, Colin Greening, Tobias Lindberg, Milan Michalek and round 2 pick in the 2017 draft (Eemeli Rasanen)

Micheal Grabner:
The Grabner one was especially hilarious. Traded for five guys who were/are all nothing.

Reactions: Silky mitts

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Yeah this puts Pitt in a pretty tough cap crunch over the offseason. Someone is going to leave.

Maatta, Schultz, Pearson, Rust, Kessel, Johnson, Bjugstad

One from that list will have to go and be replaced by an ELC salaried player. My guess is Maatta if the team really does like Pettersson and Riikola.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I don't understand why PIT would want to take on more long-term financial commitments, but the deal certainly has upside for them. They must feel pretty comfortable with this group; they have ~80% of the roster locked up through 2020-21.

I love it for Florida... essentially got paid (draft capital from PIT) to clear cap, which was likely their objective all along. The additional futures they get for Brassard and Sheahan will just be gravy. I certainly expect them to go hard after Panarin and Bobrovsky in free agency.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
How do people see this as a win for the Penguins? Moved picks and the best player in the deal. Lost cap space on top of the futures they gave up and would have gotten for Brassard. It’s bad, real bad

The two players they traded weren't contributing much of anything. Brassard might get back on track elsewhere, but he has sucked in Pittsburgh, he had to go. This makes the Penguins a better team right now, even if the value wasn't amazing.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
This is a trade that GMJR likes to make. Getting a player with term and if he develops with Sid and Geno helping him, his upside is big. His skill set is really good and is 26 which is a nice hedge for the older skill players. Pens got younger and now have that third line center who can give the Pens more PT to help Sid and Malkin play less TOI.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Florida got cap space and those picks. Clear win. They can also sell Brassard for likely another 2nd + prospect at the deadline.

I have PTSD from being a Panthers fan. 2nd Round picks have a 35% chance of making it.

I'll believe the Bobrovsky and Panarin rumours when it happens, I'll believe we're a contender when we don't shit the bed at the start of a season and don't rely on PDOing our way into the 8th spot.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If I had to guess, the Penguins will probably be using Bjugstad as Kessel's LWer and McCann as the Penguins 3C. What I really think this does is that it takes the Penguins out of the Ferland sweepstake, which I'm really glad to see based on the rumored prices for Ferland. I imagine the Penguins will end up running with:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Bjugstad-Malkin-Kessel
Pearson-McCann-Hornqvist
ZAR-Cullen-Simon

That's a hell of a forward group.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad