Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] Panthers re-sign Reilly Smith (5 years, $5M AAV)

Acetylene

Every dog has it’s day
Jul 10, 2010
Sweden
I'm sure looking forward to the Panthers-Bolts games next season. Two of the best clubs when it comes to management and team building

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Seems crazy it's just bang bang bang one after another and signing ufas too.. one wpuld wonder how it's being done and fitting under the cap but obviously it is... LOVE what they are doing wow

Can't believe this is just another one of a very long list of young studs that was previously on boston

Strachan23

Feb 6, 2013
Miami
Where was Florida's money prior lol. They've added Yandle at nearly 7, Ekblad will be 7.5, Demers 4.5, Smith at 5, Trochek at 4.75, and Reimer at 3.4. Seems like they've spent alot recently.

17mil under cap prior to Yandle, Trocheck, and Demers signings. Ekblad's doesn't kick in until after the season coming up, same with this deal for Smith.

Next year we have MacKenzie, Thornton, Kindl, Berra, Jagr(?) coming off the books. I also wouldn't be surprised if they buyout Bolland after this next season, it would save them nearly 4 mil in cap hit.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
17mil under cap prior to Yandle, Trocheck, and Demers signings. Ekblad's doesn't kick in until after the season coming up, same with this deal for Smith.

Next year we have MacKenzie, Thornton, Kindl, Berra, Jagr(?) coming off the books. I also wouldn't be surprised if they buyout Bolland after this next season, it would save them nearly 4 mil in cap hit.

Absolutely crazy... top notch management in FLA

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Is their strategy to give Smith a contract that would scare away an expansion team from selecting him?

That's a big commitment for a streaky player.

I don't think he has hit his stride yet, so good heads up signing.

Bruin fans :yo:, at least the Smith haters.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Well, we do have Bolland who should've gone through a better due diligence... but I dunno if there's an answer for that some of them players in batch of long term deals might go sour.

The more long term deals you sign the more possibilities there are for something to go wrong.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Saving it for when the young core has demonstrated they can be built upon.

Exactly! It kills me when people keep calling the Jets an "internal cap" team because we arn't spending to the cap yet. We have young players that are going to get PAID.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
The more long term deals you sign the more possibilities there are for something to go wrong.

What's the alternative? Risk paying more for players because you wait to sign them? Risk them becoming UFAs and losing them for nothing? Trading good players away because you waited to sign key pieces who now get even more money and you're limited with cap space? Obviously there is some risk signing core guys long term but there's also risk not doing it. Then if you try to sign some long term and wait on others, that will create even more problems if you sign the wrong guys.

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
I'm confused by people who think the Trocheck deal was a good sign for the Panthers yet think that this deal is either too long or too much money. He's played 3 full seasons and had a career low of 40 points, Trocheck has played 1 full season and a half of another and signed what is a pretty similar contract. As a panther fan, I like both deals, they both lock up key pieces of our team for the forseeable future. Love most of what we've done this offseason

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
I'm confused by people who think the Trocheck deal was a good sign for the Panthers yet think that this deal is either too long or too much money. He's played 3 full seasons and had a career low of 40 points, Trocheck has played 1 full season and a half of another and signed what is a pretty similar contract

I agree, the Trochek deal is much riskier. With this deal, you're pretty much assured to be getting a good 2nd liner for the next 5 years. Which at 5M, isn't bad at all.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
These long contracts they are giving to everyone is going to catch up to them soon. Either through underperformance or career altering injuries, this is a dangerous game they're playing.

There's always that risk but you're not banking on it. You're banking on everyone getting better every season. You can go the bridge route but if everyone does indeed improve, you then wont be able to keep everyone cause now you don't have enough cap space due to raises.

Florida is locking these guys in so they all can go on a 5-6 year run together.

-ghoste

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton

This might be the dumbest post I've ever heard.. the whole goal is build through the draft and sign your core players... it keeps u from having to overpay in free agency.. it's the least risky way to build a team...they have built through the draft and smart trades and r suppliment ing with free agents.. absolute stellar job..

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
What's the alternative? Risk paying more for players because you wait to sign them? Risk them becoming UFAs and losing them for nothing? Trading good players away because you waited to sign key pieces who now get even more money and you're limited with cap space? Obviously there is some risk signing core guys long term but there's also risk not doing it. Then if you try to sign some long term and wait on others, that will create even more problems if you sign the wrong guys.

Reilly Smith may be at his peak as a scorer.

Trochek has had one good year and he just got almost 30 million dollars for 6 years. You're telling me you don't see a potential problem with that?

Can we expect Matheson to get a 7 year deal if he has a good season?

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
This might be the dumbest post I've ever heard.. the whole goal is build through the draft and sign your core players... it keeps u from having to overpay in free agency.. it's the least risky way to build a team...they have built through the draft and smart trades and r suppliment ing with free agents.. absolute stellar job..

How do you hear posts?

Extending every young player for 6+ years is risk-reward. The chances that every single one of these deals works out is low. You can ruin yourself if these guys don't perform to expectations.

All I'm saying is, having 9 players (almost half of the roster) locked into 5+ year deals is very risky.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Trochek has had one good year and he just got almost 30 million dollars for 6 years. You're telling me you don't see a potential problem with that?

Can we expect Matheson to get a 7 year deal if he has a good season?

The potential problem as in he won't have another good season every again? I mean i guess that could happen. It isn't likely though. What would be your way? Try to sign a bunch of guys to one or two year deals?

And absolutely I see Matheson getting locked up. He's another piece that they want kept together.

-ghoste

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I know that everybody is praising the Panthers for having this fantastic offseason but it looks like lateral moves defensively, giving long term contracts to players with a small track record of success (although this seems to be a pattern around the NHL) and a 5 year contract to a career backup goalie.

The Ekblad contract is/will be great but there's a lot of risk with their other moves. We'll see how it works out for them.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Florida really cementing their team right now, their fans must be having all the fun this week.

Must be a good time to be a panthers fan.

Believe me, it feels great. We've been stuck in the dark ages for far too long.

Having great owners/management is the key. I'm a Colorado Rockies fan and I've basically had to stop buying MLB.TV to watch them cause the owners suck. They don't care about the game and that isn't right.

-ghoste

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
The potential problem as in he won't have another good season every again? I mean i guess that could happen. It isn't likely though. What would be your way? Try to sign a bunch of guys to one or two year deals?

And absolutely I see Matheson getting locked up. He's another piece that they want kept together.

-ghoste

Bridge deal some players and extend the ones that have shown consistency.

Matheson has played 8 games. This is getting ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad