Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] Nikita Gusev signs with the Panthers (1 year, $1M)

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
He was one of the veterans who was less fit than some of the first and second year players when camp started and was never able to get his game untracked.

Will be interesting to see how his future goes.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Yeah, he made a really sweet pass to set up Barkov for a goal, but other than that, nothing too special, as of yet.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
This guy sucks.

he's just too slow for the NHL.

Eh, Hudler might have even been faster. Gusev is downright horrible defensively and softer than Yandle. And that's bad. Unless he turns it around, or he goes ppg in the playoffs, I can't see any way the Panthers bring him back.

haven't been watching much, but the bits I've seen... not good

@VVP - A number of Panthers fans already saying what I did and what many Devils fans have been saying. The lack of foot-speed/strength/compete is really problematic. He needs to up his compete level big time (at the very least) to be an impact player in the NHL.

VVP

Oct 7, 2017
@VVP - A number of Panthers fans already saying what I did and what many Devils fans have been saying. The lack of foot-speed/strength/compete is really problematic. He needs to up his compete level big time (at the very least) to be an impact player in the NHL.

Yes, he was hit and miss in those games with Florida. In all honesty he could have had 7 assists due to poor finishing by his partners but he also created too many turnovers for my liking. Definitely agree that he needs to pick up his game quick. His shot is also not there, he had opportunities to score but came up with nothing as far as goals. On the other hand Devils screwed up with his game, that is for sure. What a horrible team, got rid of him and now winless in April.

Reactions: thrillhous

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Yes, he was hit and miss in those games with Florida. In all honesty he could have had 7 assists due to poor finishing by his partners but he also created too many turnovers for my liking. Definitely agree that he needs to pick up his game quick. His shot is also not there, he had opportunities to score but came up with nothing as far as goals. On the other hand Devils screwed up with his game, that is for sure. What a horrible team, got rid of him and now winless in April.

Man, if only we kept Gusev we'd be winning games left and right.

Reactions: Mr Positive

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
I'm gonna predict that the guy is just straight up depressed. It's already not easy to adjust to North American life and be away from everything you know. Add the fact that he can't really do anything (sightseeing new cities) or really see and meet people due to COVID protocols and maybe he just straight up hates his life and it's showing up in his play. That's my explanation because he looked kinda good last year after the initial adjustment period.

VVP

Oct 7, 2017
I'm gonna predict that the guy is just straight up depressed. It's already not easy to adjust to North American life and be away from everything you know. Add the fact that he can't really do anything (sightseeing new cities) or really see and meet people due to COVID protocols and maybe he just straight up hates his life and it's showing up in his play. That's my explanation because he looked kinda good last year after the initial adjustment period.

I don't think so. I may be wrong but he just needs to get his confidence back, he needs to mentally go back to the end of last season where he was playing great. I think Lindy Ruff really screwed him up, in a similar way he screwed up Nichushkin. It took Nichushkin a while to find his NHL bearing after Lindy Ruff destroyed his confidence.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011

"On the other hand Devils screwed up with his game, that is for sure"

LOL I didn't know getting outplayed by rookies and not fitting a new coach's system means we ruined him...

Gusev ruined himself. Regardless of the systematic changes, Gusev just played terribly. Couldn't make a tape to tape pass (which was his strength last year), he constantly made blind passes, he skates like he's wearing a 50 lb weighted vest, and played horrible defense.

If you can't skate, shoot the puck, pass, or play defense, then why should he be in the lineup?

VVP

Oct 7, 2017
"On the other hand Devils screwed up with his game, that is for sure"

LOL I didn't know getting outplayed by rookies and not fitting a new coach's system means we ruined him...

Gusev ruined himself. Regardless of the systematic changes, Gusev just played terribly. Couldn't make a tape to tape pass (which was his strength last year), he constantly made blind passes, he skates like he's wearing a 50 lb weighted vest, and played horrible defense.

If you can't skate, shoot the puck, pass, or play defense, then why should he be in the lineup?

Gusev is a proven player, @ KHL level, @ International level and even @ the NHL with his 0.67 points per game last season. Gusev has had a tough year with Covid situation but your incredible coach wouldn't even give him a chance to find his game - all he got is 20 lousy games. Ruff did nothing to help Gusev find his game back. If he is so bad - I got news about New Jersey Devils. Currently there is only one player on the roster who somewhat shows similar startistics as Gusev was last season.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Hes in Florida. They having raves again.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
Gusev is a proven player, @ KHL level, @ International level and even @ the NHL with his 0.67 points per game last season. Gusev has had a tough year with Covid situation but your incredible coach wouldn't even give him a chance to find his game - all he got is 20 lousy games. Ruff did nothing to help Gusev find his game back. If he is so bad - I got news about New Jersey Devils. Currently there is only one player on the roster who somewhat shows similar startistics as Gusev was last season.

As a Devils fan who has watched every single game last year and this year, I can tell you with full confidence our coaching staff gave him every opportunity to succeed. Not only was he given a chance in the top 6 multiple times, he was even positioned with the same players he had massive success with at the end of last year (Bratt and Zacha).

"your incredible coach wouldn't even give him a chance to find his game -all he got was 20 lousy games. Ruff did nothing to help Gusev find his game back"

Do you realize what league he's in? In a shortened 56-game COVID season where every game matters even more, the fact that he was given 20 chances (which is more than 1/3rd of the entire season), means that you legitimately cannot say he wasn't given a oppotunity. He was lucky to get even 10 games in with the way he was playing.

"If he is so bad - I got news about New Jersey Devils."

If anything, this helps me prove my point. 1) I never said we were good this year so this point is kind of irrelevant, and 2) if we are so bad as to how you are implying, then this makes Goose look even worse. He is a "proven player" by your standards, walked into training camp essentially locked in with a top 6 spot, and yet was out-played by younger players and rookies by the likes of Bratt, Johnsson (who hasn't even been good this year), Sharangovich, Koukkanen, and even Merkley.

He had everything going for him this year and failed. He's not even rebounding that well on a much stronger Panthers team. You can't point the fingers at the systems or coaching when you can see it's clearly the player at fault.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad