Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] F Eric Staal signs with the Panthers (1 year, $750k)

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
Where is he going to sit in the Cats roster? 4th line centreman? Then he'll have to have 2 defensively responsible forwards there.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Florida keeps signing these old players way past their prime. Lou must be seething right now.

Other than Joe Thornton and Staal's. Just interested if i've forgot.

giphy.gif

We needed to get slower with Jumbo gone

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Other than Joe Thornton and Staal's. Just interested if i've forgot.

We needed to get slower with Jumbo gone
Probably referring to Jagr a few seasons ago.

I don’t hate Staal as a depth option for anyone and he’s a genuinely great guy so I hope it works out. He’s obviously no longer an elite first line center but he has great leadership qualities and brings cup experience to a team that’s struggled in the playoffs but excels in the regular season. I don’t see why this move is surprising anyone.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I love a good comeback story.

I'm also a bit stuck in 2010. So this is super fun for me.
I definitely am feeling older these days when the players I grew up watching are either retired (Getzlaf, Chara, Sedins, Spezza) or near retirement (Staal, Perry). Heck a few are now coaching (Burrows, St. Louis, Ott, Gonchar).

Reactions: banks and Taswell

chaser17

Dec 30, 2014
Why though? He looked completely cooked at the olympics so I can't imagine he'll be able to keep up in the NHL.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I really like this Panthers core group and am enjoying the success of the team in recent seasons, but why on earth would they turn to the Staal brothers in the year 2022 for depth when they have Cup aspirations?!
When you're desperate.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The thing about his style of play is that he looks bad even when he has a two point night. His shot is very casual looking, but it's a really good shot(he scored over 40 goals 3 times), he looks kind of gawky, but has an Inspector Gadget body that allows him to get to pucks in the slot even when covered, he's decent on FO's, and smart.

Don't know that he's the right guy to play a bottom six grinder role, though. Legs were looking kind of done, but maybe he's healed up a bit with his time off?

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
It's difficult to understand why E. Staal is needed. Perhaps the remaining cap space could be spent on some defensemen instead?

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Florida keeps signing these old players way past their prime. Lou must be seething right now.

not to worry.. Patrik Elias signing to be announced on Sunday. Also already have John Maclean behind the bench in a suit but must wear skates as part of his contract.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
why didn't they just keep thornton?
Staal has more playoff experience and has lead a rag tag Canes core to a cup in the past while Thornton has debatably lead some some of the strongest teams to not win a cup. No slight to Thornton, but if both players are equal skill wise I can see why Staal would have an edge.
It's difficult to understand why E. Staal is needed. Perhaps the remaining cap space could be spent on some defensemen instead?
You’re not going to upgrade your defense for 750k.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
This news is about as exciting as learning Sharon Stone is coming back to star in an upcoming Basic Instinct sequel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad