Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] D Oliver Ekman-Larsson signs with the Panthers (1 year, $2.25M)

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Judging from the last 2 years, what you are getting here in OEL, is a slow, ageing player who literally can not turn nor pivot on his skates.

If that is what Florida is looking for, they have their man.

• Haha
Reactions: Laus723

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
lol man i wish i got bought out where i work and then find work right after :laugh:

I've actually sort of experienced this. I got laid off because of downsizing, got six months severance pay, and immediately found a new job. So for six months I had double salaries.

Of course, the money was nowhere close to what these guys make, but it was still pretty cool.

• Love
Reactions: PromisedLand

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
He should do better with a reasonable salary and low expectations. As long as Panthers fans know he is not the OEL from 2016-17, his footspeed and agility is gone, his quick decision making is suspect. He should be good as a #5 for a few years.

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
He's been so good, complete steal at this price, slots in perfectly on the 2nd pair. I'm surprised at how well he's rebounding, he looked like his career was done in Vancouver.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
He's been so good, complete steal at this price, slots in perfectly on the 2nd pair. I'm surprised at how well he's rebounding, he looked like his career was done in Vancouver.
This Coyote fan is happy that Oliver's doing well. I never suspected his career was done, but only that he lost his wrist shot. Tocchet tried to ruin him and am glad he escaped Vancouver.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

He played pretty well in the first year, but I think injuries affected his skating last year and he was quite bad. Buyout was probably needed but happy to see him rebound.

Zur En Arrh

Apr 16, 2022
I remember when HF said we are losing Matthews to Arizona after his entry contract moving him immediately there would at least get us OEL and we should be happy about it....

• Wow
Reactions: Recipe Unlimited

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
He broke his foot at the WCs before last season and was never able to recover. Lost all his mobility and was a liability. Was shut down and given plenty of time to recover.

My concern is that with how heavily he’s being relied on by the Panthers, he’ll break down. Montour and Ekblad will take most the load off but there’s a good chance it’s too late by then.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He’s played well for a $2.25 mill Dman. If he was paid at either the $8.25 mill of his total cap or the $7.125 mill of his Van portion does your opinion change?

Reactions: YotesFan47

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
He's gonna get boo'd when he comes to Van because he's playing well now.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Wish him all the best but I’ll need to see how he holds up longer term. That said, it looks like a shrewd signing at the price so far for Florida. His cap hit was a major issue in Vancouver and buying him out let the team acquire D who fit the team better.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Wish him all the best but I’ll need to see how he holds up longer term. That said, it looks like a shrewd signing at the price so far for Florida. His cap hit was a major issue in Vancouver and buying him out let the team acquire D who fit the team better.
OEL and Myers at their $13.125 mill combined cap hits in Van had massive expectations. Which is expected in a hard cap league. If they were at a combined $5 mill, it wouldn't be an issue as there is $8.125 mill remaining to fill in other holes.

I would ask, based on his play, what would be a cap charge that his level of play warrants? Is it $4 mill? $5 mill? if people are saying $2.25m ill is a steal.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Not surprised at all. He’s still a good player when healthy and I’m good shape. Even Canucks fans should know this. The buyout was correct but i had a feeling he would bounce back.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
He broke his foot at the WCs before last season and was never able to recover. Lost all his mobility and was a liability. Was shut down and given plenty of time to recover.

My concern is that with how heavily he’s being relied on by the Panthers, he’ll break down. Montour and Ekblad will take most the load off but there’s a good chance it’s too late by then.

Montour is back this week and Ekblad likely the next.

I would ask, based on his play, what would be a cap charge that his level of play warrants? Is it $4 mill? $5 mill? if people are saying $2.25m ill is a steal.

Depending on the term obviously but next year I could see Zito offering him 2 x 4 million if he keeps this up. That's a huge if at this point though and his playoffs performance will determine a lot.

Reactions: Laus723 and Vector

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Judging from the last 2 years, what you are getting here in OEL, is a slow, ageing player who literally can not turn nor pivot on his skates.

If that is what Florida is looking for, they have their man.
Nice player recap . . . give me a stock to buy so I can short it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad