Confirmed Trade: [FLA/CGY] Sam Bennett and 2022 6th round pick for Emil Heineman and 2022 2nd round pick

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
That must be bitter losing talent like Bennett. Did you see the potential?

My honest answer is that at times, and especially playoffs, he was a beast. Other times he was a ghost and taking needless penalties.

We really would have like to have seen him longer with Johnny. Glad he's doing well, I am over this current management.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
because what Florida paid was at the top level of what he was worth. No team was going to pay for what he may do with a fresh start. They were going to pay for a bottom 6 forward who if needed can play in the top 6 without hurting the team AND pay extra because said player is proven to elevate his game exponentially in the playoffs.
This is a very true statement. If I was acquiring him I'd be paying for a 3rd liner who elevates in the playoffs. I pegged his value at a low 1st because of the Coleman trade. Bennett wasn't quite as good, but he elevates more in the playoffs.

Sam Pollock

Mar 1, 2013
Calgary
because what Florida paid was at the top level of what he was worth. No team was going to pay for what he may do with a fresh start. They were going to pay for a bottom 6 forward who if needed can play in the top 6 without hurting the team AND pay extra because said player is proven to elevate his game exponentially in the playoffs.
Some one could have at least came up with a conditional first rounder to top it. Try again please.

Sam Pollock

Mar 1, 2013
Calgary
You were dong good when Burke was consultant
Not as good as you think. I like Burke but really he only had true success with only one organization - Anaheim. I have to look it up but most of the team that won the Stanley Cup was already there when he took over. Then there were a lot of teams he couldn't duplicate that success with.

Also, didn't he trade Pronger from Hartford to St. Louis?

Sam Pollock

Mar 1, 2013
Calgary
Opportunity.

The team that ponied up, which was Florida, needed to AT LEAST try to slot Bennett in the top 6, in the center position. So, they did and it’s paying dividends.
Bennett did have opportunity in Calgary. He has played on the top line in Gaudreau and Monahan. He has played for 5 Flames head coaches and only responded well with two of them (Hartley and Sutter). Do you honestly think the other three were completely wrong about him?

I hope he does well in Florida. Personally I think that he will until he gets that big contract and becomes the next Jeff Skinner but that's just me.

Reactions: Why2Jay

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Bennett did have opportunity in Calgary. He has played on the top line in Gaudreau and Monahan. He has played for 5 Flames head coaches and only responded well with two of them (Hartley and Sutter). Do you honestly think the other three were completely wrong about him?

I hope he does well in Florida. Personally I think that he will until he gets that big contract and becomes the next Jeff Skinner but that's just me.
Well you don't sound jaded at all. I hope he does well, but I also hope he turns into one of the worst contracts in the NHL. Ok lol.

Ledge And Dairy

Well you don't sound jaded at all. I hope he does well, but I also hope he turns into one of the worst contracts in the NHL. Ok lol.
He never said he hopes Bennett gets overpaid just that odds are it will look like that if he hits a brick wall again next season if Florida pays him 5+. Personally I wouldnt go above 4.5 right now, considering he wasnt getting that if he was never traded anything above 4 is pretty solid

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

Lmao, wtf is this comment

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
There is an old expression about the spark that fuels the flame. In the beginning, the discussion of the Bennet trade focused on the wisdom/folly of the Panther's giving up a good prospect and a 2nd. Then when Bennett's play post-trade exceeded expectations, the focus switched to discussing why Bennett was performing so much better for the Panthers than he had the Flames. Now, the focus of Flames fans seems to have shifted to broader criticism of the Flames management, coaching and personnel. As a Panther's fan, I have gone through that exercise repeatedly during the Talon years.

In the end, it is just a trade of an existing player for a prospect and a future pick. If the Flames develop the prospect and hit on the pick then it was a good trade. If they don't then so what? Bennet was not playing that well for the Flames and probably was not going to be resigned anyway.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Some people just need a change of scenery.

sometimes it works, lots of times it doesn’t.

so far it has worked. Hopefully can keep it up.

Reactions: gab6511

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Well considering none of them ever gave him a chance to play center with anyone of notable talent, yes I do honestly believe those coaches were completely wrong.

Is it really so hard to believe? Look at how stupidly this team has been run in the last 6 years.

Mase

Cousins.....kind of a c**t
Aug 6, 2010
Holding the blue
Acquiring Bennett instantly gave FL 2 legit top lines. It’s unreal what Zito has accomplished this season.

It just kind illustrates how much ego gets in the way of scouting and evaluation, imo.

Zito was an agent, one of the best in the game, and if ANYONE know the value of specific players relative to their possible roles, it's the person who will make the most money from the marriage. Sometimes, it's the unique perspective that offers the best real observation of what really matters.

Zito looked at that team and saw EXACTLY what they were missing.

Reactions: 5 Hole

5 Hole

Oct 2, 2011
Woodbine, GA
It just kind illustrates how much ego gets in the way of scouting and evaluation, imo.

Zito was an agent, one of the best in the game, and if ANYONE know the value of specific players relative to their possible roles, it's the person who will make the most money from the marriage. Sometimes, it's the unique perspective that offers the best real observation of what really matters.

Zito looked at that team and saw EXACTLY what they were missing.
Spot on. He’s ahead of schedule in my eyes. It’s awesome to be back in the playoffs. Advancing to round 2 would be huge for the team.

Cricket Green

May 1, 2021
Acquiring Bennett instantly gave FL 2 legit top lines. It’s unreal what Zito has accomplished this season.

While I believe Bennett represents Zito's best move yet (yes, including getting rid of Matheson), best Panthers move in general was Zito's hiring. I genuiney would like to know who recommended Zito for the job and who then recommended him for hire to Viola. Was it Caldwell? Really would like to know.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
IMO a lot of Bennett's problems have always been mental. He would get these amazing rushes in the playoffs and play with all the confidence in the world. Then he would get in massive ruts, and it went way beyond his own line mates. He would get low on himself and just play dumb. I really don't buy the "he didn't get a chance at centre" argument. Bennett is a professional, with experience playing at wing. Also, if you watch anyone who plays with Monahan/Gaudreau, they all play a hybrid role. Gaudreau and Monahan are not typical for their positions. When Lindholm was with them, many of his duties were those of the typical centreman, and the same happened with Bennett. When Bennett and Jankowski would play together, they would switch off centre duties, for eample, as to who was carrying the puck down the middle.

You can definitely fault Flames management for this too. They have a system in place where minutes have to be earned. This can obviously have negative affects on a player who psychologically gets down on themselves and needs to succeed to have confidence. There is major good and bad to this, but in the new NHL, where specialized skilled players are becoming dominant, this system may no longer make sense.

It's also an issue of Huberdeau and Barkov being the types of players who help their linemates excel. It's not just Bennett having a career level of play in Florida. Basically, anyone playing in the top six in Florida is putting up career numbers.

Reactions: Batrous

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes