Confirmed Trade: [FLA/CGY] Matthew Tkachuk, c. 2025 4th for Jonathan Huberdeau, MacKenzie Weegar, Cole Schwindt, c. 2025 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighLifeManIsHigh

McDave is a loser lol
Feb 27, 2006
People do realize that Matthew Tkachuk had just 14 hits in 12 playoff games right? For context Huberdeau had 27 in 10. Huberdeau also had more hits in the regular season than Tkachuk did as well.

Tkachuk is at his best when he IS NOT playing with reckless abandon and focuses on his skill game, and we saw Sutter wean that out of his game. In that regard Tkachuk and Huberdeau provide similar things with Huberdeau being the superior playmaker, and Tkachuk the better goalscorer. Tkachuk is an elite talent from the hashmarks in, while Huberdeau has more of a tendency to create from the half wall and off the rush. Both are extremely effective at what they do, and neither skillset should be discredited for what they can and can't provide.

I also think Huberdeau will grow immensely as a player under Sutter and in a new role. To say that he can't continue to develop as a player because he's 29 is disingenuous. We saw Gaudreau take massive steps last season.
Friggin rights HighLifeMan, friggin rights. As far as I’m concerned, after these moves, the Flames have the best group of guys in the league. Best friggin group of guys

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I like Bennett but I find him to be pretty inconsistent. He has some really nice games and then other games where he sort of disappears I think his size hampers him a bit at times. When hes on his game he is a nice player to have on your team. I somewhat dislike him as a center, he isnt great defensively he is ok not great. And he doesnt pass much, sometimes he makes low IQ plays. I think at the price point we have him at hes a steal and overall its a great trade for us. But I think he has quite a few kinks to his game that he can improve on.

Uh.. if you don't want Bennett, we'd love to figure out how to snap him back up in a heart beat.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Wow, you have TWO top four d men. Stanley cup CONTENDERS with TWO top 4 defensemen. We might be disappointed with Huberdeau and Weegar, but you guys will be so disappointed with Tkachuk. You all think he’s this ultimate power forward. Just wait until it gets to crunch time and he disappears. Collecting that pay check and living the lifestyle in south Florida. He’s not the player you all think he is.

“He’s good on the forecheck”. No he’s not. He’s too slow to be effective on the forecheck. He’s great down low and in front of the net, but he has never been a guy that can create his own offence.

The guy isn’t a 100 point guy, even though he put up 104 points last year. Gaudreau and Lindholm drove that line and Chucky was there to clean up. Never saw the guy take over a game in his entire tenure as a Flame

It's simply amazing how many Flames fans say this, and have been saying this for years, and yet Panthers fans just keep believing their own narrative acting like this is some new thing, just because he got traded.....

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
It's simply amazing how many Flames fans say this, and have been saying this for years, and yet Panthers fans just keep believing their own narrative acting like this is some new thing, just because he got traded.....

HighLifeManIsHigh was talking in a bit of hyperbole, but Flames fans all know Tkachuk's limitations. He's fantastic down low and in the slot. He's a great pest. He has great positioning.

He's, however, not a massive physical presence. He is not a great playmaker. He cannot drive the zone. He does not have a great shot from the point. He's a slow skater.

Every goal he had from last year was very similar:

He's a great player for sure. However, anyone expecting the total package 100 point power forward will be disappointed.

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
Trainwreck thread. Mods need to cleanse the site of this one.
You could say the same for about 98% of the threads that reach page 2. But that's when the real entertainment usually starts, so I say let it ride. More low hanging fruit. Leads to easy mocking opportunities.

Approaching two decades on this site, the song never seems to change. Nor should it.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

What’s our narrative, since all you like doing is laughing at peoples posts like a child? All we are expecting from him is a different game that Huberdeau brought, and that is more toughness and goal scoring. The “narrative” of this thread has been how Huberdeau, at 29, has a whole other level of play he can hit now that he is in Calgary, but Tkatchuk has somehow plateaued since joining the Panthers, at the ripe old age of 24.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
What’s our narrative, since all you like doing is laughing at peoples posts like a child? All we are expecting from him is a different game that Huberdeau brought, and that is more toughness and goal scoring. The “narrative” of this thread has been how Huberdeau, at 29, has a whole other level of play he can hit now that he is in Calgary, but Tkatchuk has somehow plateaued since joining the Panthers, at the ripe old age of 24.
You will certainly get a different game out of Tkachuk than what you got from Huberdeau. Is it the type of game that the Panthers need in order to get to the next level? We shall see. He's certainly not the power forward type that some Panther fans think they're getting. He's a pest with great hands and the ability to be in the right place at the right time but he also has a penchant for dramatics, sometimes embarrassing antics, and embellishment.
Hopefully, for Panther fans, he's the right guy for the team and he'll play well enough that no one will regret trading Huberdeau, Weegar, Schwindt, and a 1st round draft pick for him. If he helps the Panthers win the Cup he will probably be worth it.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
HighLifeManIsHigh was talking in a bit of hyperbole, but Flames fans all know Tkachuk's limitations. He's fantastic down low and in the slot. He's a great pest. He has great positioning.

He's, however, not a massive physical presence. He is not a great playmaker. He cannot drive the zone. He does not have a great shot from the point. He's a slow skater.

He's a great player for sure. However, anyone expecting the total package 100 point power forward will be disappointed.

This is what Panthers need though. A guy who shoots in the slot. He’s going to score more than he ever has in his life if he’s paired with Barkov.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
This is what Panthers need though. A guy who shoots in the slot. He’s going to score more than he ever has in his life if he’s paired with Barkov.
I don't think he's a shoot from the slot sniper type of guy. IMO he's more of a goal mouth scramble, puck deflection, rebound, shoot between the legs scorer. Have him play with someone who can put the puck on his stick, close in, and there's a better than even chance that it will find the back of the net.
Although I find it tough to believe that playing with Gaudreau and Lindholm can be improved upon.... even paired with Barkov.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I don't think he's a shoot from the slot sniper type of guy. IMO he's more of a goal mouth scramble, puck deflection, rebound, shoot between the legs scorer. Have him play with someone who can put the puck on his stick, close in, and there's a better than even chance that it will find the back of the net.
Although I find it tough to believe that playing with Gaudreau and Lindholm can be improved upon.... even paired with Barkov.

Seems like a lot of his goals came from that low slot area, and off the circles, which the Panthers definitely could use more of. He will score just fine with Barkov and Verhaeghe, and have ample chances on the top PP unit as well.

Reactions: harv33173

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
As an Oilers fan who would love to see the Flames get taken to the woodshed in a trade. I’m going to have to reluctantly agree with flames fans here and say that Zito got badly conned. Tkachuk is fraud and Florida just traded two of their best players for that fraud.

Florida looking for that little extra for the playoffs? A different dimension? Go watch the Stars and Oilers series again and see how “effective” Tkachuk really was. His tough guy persona is for show only, it does Jack shit in real games, but it matters a lot when conning GMs into his fake valuation.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

He's, however, not a massive physical presence. He is not a great playmaker.

Disagree on both counts here. Tkachuk might not be Tom Wilson but he throws some big hits. He also is a load to handle in front of the net, which is a big physical presence. He is also a very very strong playmaker. He just happens to go through stretches where he makes a lot of one touch lightning passes to nobody.

Not many players pull off passes like this regularly :

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

First of all never said anyone plateaued, just that the player is not what you and your fellow fans seem to think, he's a great hockey player, as I have said before I really really really wish that my Canucks had taken him over Juolevi. Having said that I keep Huberdeau every day of the week, better player, better line driver etc. I don't remember anyone saying Huby had a whole other level of play, that's ludicrous, he just had 115 points.

Tkatchuk in my opinion is closer to the 70 point player than what he was last year, the same as JT Miller is closer to a PPG player than what he was last year. Tkatchuk get's thrown off by childish antics, and lets it take him from his game too much. He doesn't show up nearly enough in the post season as well. Still great player though, I'm sure he'll be a fan favourite there.

Again this is just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
First of all never said anyone plateaued, just that the player is not what you and your fellow fans seem to think, he's a great hockey player, as I have said before I really really really wish that my Canucks had taken him over Juolevi. Having said that I keep Huberdeau every day of the week, better player, better line driver etc. I don't remember anyone saying Huby had a whole other level of play, that's ludicrous, he just had 115 points.

Tkatchuk in my opinion is closer to the 70 point player than what he was last year, the same as JT Miller is closer to a PPG player than what he was last year. Tkatchuk get's thrown off by childish antics, and lets it take him from his game too much. He doesn't show up nearly enough in the post season as well. Still great player though, I'm sure he'll be a fan favourite there.

Again this is just my opinion.

View attachment 576752

There are people here talking as if Tkatchuk has plateaued, and that Huberdeau will reach another gear in Calgary, as if they are so much better up front. And you keep bringing this stuff up about what we think he will bring, and how it’s so much different that what he truly is. Like we haven’t seen him play. I bet there is a good chance that we’ve seen him play more than Flames fans have seen Huberdeau play, because the way some describe Huberdeau is completely off base. I have not seen one Panthers fan say they expect him to be a perennial 100pt player. But now that he is in Florida, playing with Verhaghe and Barkov, he suddenly going to be a 70 point winger?

And what ARE we exactly expecting from him? Cam Neely, as one said? 100pt player a season? Nope, neither one. And we don’t need him to be one. He brings a facet of the game that was simply being missed in our top six, and a two-way game that was non-existent with Huby.

• Love
Reactions: JP Mick

murrough

Jul 19, 2006

He's a great player for sure. However, anyone expecting the total package 100 point power forward will be disap

every goal was similar.. did you even watch that video you posted?

DirtDiver

Aug 14, 2017
Canada
There are people here talking as if Tkatchuk has plateaued, and that Huberdeau will reach another gear in Calgary, as if they are so much better up front. And you keep bringing this stuff up about what we think he will bring, and how it’s so much different that what he truly is. Like we haven’t seen him play. I bet there is a good chance that we’ve seen him play more than Flames fans have seen Huberdeau play, because the way some describe Huberdeau is completely off base. I have not seen one Panthers fan say they expect him to be a perennial 100pt player. But now that he is in Florida, playing with Verhaghe and Barkov, he suddenly going to be a 70 point winger?

And what ARE we exactly expecting from him? Cam Neely, as one said? 100pt player a season? Nope, neither one. And we don’t need him to be one. He brings a facet of the game that was simply being missed in our top six, and a two-way game that was non-existent with Huby.

As to the bold you are mistaken if you think he has a 2 way game. He is good in what ever zone he is in. He is not good at 2 way game. The difference being 2 way players go up and down the ice with the play which MT does not have the foot speed to do. Now I am not saying he is bad in the defensive zone just that he is only good in the zone he is in.

If you are only saying that MT plays more defense then hubs does fine I will give you that. But dont forget that JG was the same way before sutter forced him to play defense. Where everyone was saying that it would cost him offense.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
What’s hilarious homer stuff? Did anyone say he was on par with Huberdeau? Nope, nobody did. But he’s not an average winger either. He was over a point per game in his last 56 games, and would have been over 90 points if it wasn’t for a slow start in his first 22 games as a Panther. People just love to jump into threads and post nonsense for no reason, just to stir the pot.
The guy joins every florida thread. It’s really weird.

Reactions: JP Mick and Laus723

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
As an Oilers fan who would love to see the Flames get taken to the woodshed in a trade. I’m going to have to reluctantly agree with flames fans here and say that Zito got badly conned. Tkachuk is fraud and Florida just traded two of their best players for that fraud.

Florida looking for that little extra for the playoffs? A different dimension? Go watch the Stars and Oilers series again and see how “effective” Tkachuk really was. His tough guy persona is for show only, it does Jack shit in real games, but it matters a lot when conning GMs into his fake valuation.
He broke a bone in his hand in the second Dallas game, stupid immature play by him and it obviously affected his game the rest of the playoffs.

Do I think Florida gave up too much for him? yes, but I also think he'll help them immensely in that division and the Florida fans will love him.

the-rasta-masta

Jul 14, 2002
calgary
Visit site

Interesting tidbit about Tkachuk's season last year. He went on a ridiculous tear with 38 points in his final 20 games. He was only slightly above a point per game prior to that run at 66 points in 62 games.

Not trying to put the player down, but in reality that 20 game hot streak where he was scoring at nearly 2ppg was a big outlier that he never has matched in his entire career, and likely was a big factor in the Flames pulling the value they did out of Florida. Does Zito make the same trade if Tkachuk had finished the season around 90 points instead of 104?

I just see Tkachuk regressing to 70-90 points for most of the deal. Obviously the same thing can be said about Huberdeau's career season, however his regression to the mean is still a point per game player based on the last few seasons. This is certainly going to be an interesting deal to watch how the value plays out for both teams in the next several years.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL

Interesting tidbit about Tkachuk's season last year. He went on a ridiculous tear with 38 points in his final 20 games. He was only slightly above a point per game prior to that run at 66 points in 62 games.

Not trying to put the player down, but in reality that 20 game hot streak where he was scoring at nearly 2ppg was a big outlier that he never has matched in his entire career, and likely was a big factor in the Flames pulling the value they did out of Florida. Does Zito make the same trade if Tkachuk had finished the season around 90 points instead of 104?

I just see Tkachuk regressing to 70-90 points for most of the deal. Obviously the same thing can be said about Huberdeau's career season, however his regression to the mean is still a point per game player based on the last few seasons. This is certainly going to be an interesting deal to watch how the value plays out for both teams in the next several years.

I don’t see why he wouldn’t. It still frees up a lot of cap space while giving the team a younger player with quite a tool chest.

Reactions: BabyBennettov

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto

I get that. Tkachuk and Huberdeau play very different games.

But my question is, who do you expect to drive offence on the 2nd line with Huberdeau's departure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad