Confirmed Trade: [FLA/BUF] Brandon Montour for 2021 3rd round pick

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
Trade a first for a player, sell said player for probably a third. Typical asset management for this franchise.

The Sabres were so desperate to fast track their "rebuild" that the last 2 GMs went on speculative buying with their assets to acquire risky players they thought would improve over time.

It's been a colossal failure. And now the Sabres are forced to sell those pieces for pennies on the dollar, and their prospect pool is barren.

I really think that Botteril paid too much for players when he should have been more patient. Guhle wasn't that much worse off than Montour to warrant throwing in a 1st round pick to get him. I never liked the fact we threw away that first round pick to begin with.

Last edited:

Rastin

Jul 14, 2004
The Sabres actually have a very deep prospect pool, especially on defense. Just not alot of high end prospects which is what happens when you're bad and ally your high picks get rushed to the NHL.

The Sabres were so desperate to fast track their "rebuild" that the last 2 GMs went on speculative buying with their assets to acquire risky players they thought would improve over time.

It's been a colossal failure. And now the Sabres are forced to sell those pieces for pennies on the dollar, and their prospect pool is barren.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I don't get why people are so upset about the asset management of acquiring Montour 2 years ago for more than he was moved for now. The deals can't be compared. Player was at a completely different point in his career and was only an RFA then compared to UFA now. Bottom line was that Buffalo paid a premium price to buy an emerging talent that was showing that he could have serious upside. They got 2 years of his prime and he didn't deliver so they cut bait and got what they could for him. Had to be done as he wasn't someone we wanted to keep anyways, especially not at his cap hit. It was a gamble that didn't pay off but a worthwhile one nonetheless.
Yep: It's one of the problems with the board; they evaluate trades on residual value of trades (i.e. value moving forward) and discount current value.

Montour's time in Buffalo wasn't perfect, but they got 2 years of a top four D for the different between a first and third round pick. Not bad value at all!

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Aren't some Duck fans high on Tracey? AHL is not an easy league...

And I wouldn't compare 2019 vs. 2020 drafts. The 2020 class is exceeding expectations in the AHL (from Drysdale, Byfield, Jarvis, Perrault, etc) and often outproducing the 2019 class.
True, its fair that they have indeed out performed a lot of the 2019 class.
Quite a few Ducks fans aren't high on Tracey though, his tool set is that he's decent at all areas but is not super great in any one area.
They passed on Hoglander, Pinto and Kaliyev for him.
I believe our fans prospect ranking is that one of our 2019 2nd or 4th round picks are better than Tracey in Thrun or LaCombe.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

Barren? Huh?

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
True, its fair that they have indeed out performed a lot of the 2019 class.
Quite a few Ducks fans aren't high on Tracey though, his tool set is that he's decent at all areas but is not super great in any one area.
They passed on Hoglander, Pinto and Kaliyev for him.
I believe our fans prospect ranking is that one of our 2019 2nd or 4th round picks are better than Tracey in Thrun or LaCombe.

Ok... Hoglander is a fantastic player (even I hate the Nucks). Passing on Pinto and Kaliyev... those two are good prospects but it's still early.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

MapleLeafs94

So then I said...
Nov 18, 2016
Why does he like bath salts and going pantsless to Walmart?

Putting Google to the test with the classic Florida man plus birthday combo (Montour's April 11) he apparently has a tendency to threaten everyone with an army of turtles (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles perhaps) he'll fit in perfectly.

But yeah, this post made me think of that ole classic "Google Florida man and your birthday" meme. I tried Montour's and was not disappointed.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
1) Acquire promising young RFA defensemen.
2) play defensemen on his offside the majority of his tenure and pair him with a revolving door of partners.
3)After tanking his value, trade him for a third round pick.

I can’t even make this stuff up. I feel terrible for Sabres fans. They deserve better from their management.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I’m gonna check in on Florida and see how he does there. He’s a very toolsy player. Just dumb as rocks. I think Q may be able to get the best out of him.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Pegulas once again handcuff a GM refusing to spend money — bizarre how they spend money in garbage places but then go cheap on move like this with no salary retention.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Pegulas once again handcuff a GM refusing to spend money — bizarre how they spend money in garbage places but then go cheap on move like this with no salary retention.
Not to defend them, but lets maybe see the whole of tdl before determing that. They can only retain on 3 players, Staal, Hall likely, perhaps they have another deal in the works to retain on a player that wasnt Montour (Pray for Eakin/Miller...Risto? Ullmark? Reino?). Idk, but lets see how it all shakes out.

Reactions: MillerTime

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I don't get why people are so upset about the asset management of acquiring Montour 2 years ago for more than he was moved for now. The deals can't be compared. Player was at a completely different point in his career and was only an RFA then compared to UFA now. Bottom line was that Buffalo paid a premium price to buy an emerging talent that was showing that he could have serious upside. They got 2 years of his prime and he didn't deliver so they cut bait and got what they could for him. Had to be done as he wasn't someone we wanted to keep anyways, especially not at his cap hit. It was a gamble that didn't pay off but a worthwhile one nonetheless.

idiot GM gave up too much. Then after he goes and acquires Miller and Jokiharju.

It could have been a lot worse...st Louis didn’t make the semis and San Jose collapsed and didn’t make the playoffs it could have bern a top 5 pick of San Jose

the move buffalo made seems like they were going to trade Risto and it didn’t happen.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
One of those defenseman you really want to like, but the results just don't add up to much. Might be a worthwhile acquisition for Florida if they can find a role he can succeed in.

Reactions: Yatzhee

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
A little underwhelming when you figure it'll be a late 3rd, but in a draft year like this there may be some gems that go under the radar. Guess we'll see how this turns out at the draft and years to come.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
A little underwhelming when you figure it'll be a late 3rd, but in a draft year like this there may be some gems that go under the radar. Guess we'll see how this turns out at the draft and years to come.
and also, any extra draft capital in your pocket to potentially trade to SEA as a tax for a less desirable piece (coughEakinMillercough) is a good thing to have.

Reactions: Zach716

Rastin

Jul 14, 2004
I agree to a point. Especially if the plan was to trade Risto and then the deal fell through. I was pretty happy with the D acquisitions. Montour was a bit of an overpay, sure, but at the time he was a well regard ed young D-man just establishing himself. Miller was good value and Jokiharju was an amazing pickup. Even back then I figured the Jokiharju trade was just something that was too good to pass up even if it wasn't a need and caused a severe logjam. The problem came when an entire season passed without addressing the logjam. Everyone could see we needed to ship out a D-man for a forward and Botts didn't pull the trigger until it was too late.

idiot GM gave up too much. Then after he goes and acquires Miller and Jokiharju.

It could have been a lot worse...st Louis didn’t make the semis and San Jose collapsed and didn’t make the playoffs it could have bern a top 5 pick of San Jose

the move buffalo made seems like they were going to trade Risto and it didn’t happen.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I don’t know about people being upset but generally speaking in any business endeavor you want your assets to either appreciate or depreciate at a rate that does not exceed the carry dividend or value. Mistakes or miscalcs will happen but if this occurs too frequently then you have the wrong people running things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad